View Full Version : feedback on AmbiCom Bluetooth CF card?

cyj
04-05-2003, 07:47 AM
I noticed a Bluetooth CF card at Best Buy put out by AmbiCom. It's priced at $79.99, which is what caught my eye.

Does anyone have any experience with this card? I'm looking for a way to connect my iPaq 3835 to a Ericsson t68i. I would also be using this card in my laptop.

Don Sorcinelli
04-05-2003, 02:58 PM
I wrote up a full review of the Ambicom CF Bluetooth Adapter a couple of weeks ago for our Bluetooth Month. The full writeup is here (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=86).

Summary - The Amibcom is far from the Socket card in terms of functionality. It also lacks some software intelligence that limits its potential.

BTW - I summarized and provided links to all of our Bluetooth Month content into a single page on our site (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1329). We also have a review of the Socket card as well.

DonS

Sven Johannsen
04-05-2003, 03:53 PM
I gotta agree with everything that DonS said in his review. Sorta wish I'd seen that before I bought two of these. Fortunatly I bought them at the $30 price range, and I bought them primarily to play with BT a bit.

Having bought these with a real requirement would likely have soured my impression of BT as a viable solution. As it is, I am aware that the limitations are in the implementation not the technology, based on readings and reviews. When I do eventually get a real need, a PPC with integrated BT or a BT enabled phone, I'll spend the bucks and get a Socket, (unless Ambicom has significantly increased the capabilities in their software.)

cyj
04-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Excellent review! This is what we tenderfoots need. Thanks for the feedback.

Don Sorcinelli
04-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I gotta agree with everything that DonS said in his review. Sorta wish I'd seen that before I bought two of these. Fortunatly I bought them at the $30 price range, and I bought them primarily to play with BT a bit.

I think that a lot of people (myself included) feel exactly the same way. The saying "You get what you pay for" certainly applies in this case.

The saddest part of this (and so many other Bluetooth stories) is that it is all so avoidable on the vendors parts. The software implementations put out by so many of the vendors are such a "buzz-kill" to the potential of the technology. It seems like I spent the better part of the month of March either being frustrated by poor Bluetooth supporting applications, or writing about my frustrations in editorials. For all the good implementations, it seems like the bad ones stuck out.

If only companies could get product out at price points similar to Ambicom AND QA their supporting software... :roll:

DonS

Stik
04-06-2003, 04:19 PM
I recall reading that this combination does not play nice together since the Ambicom BT card does not work with Ericsson's T68i BT serial profile.

Can anyone confirm this to keep those that are interested in this duo from getting a whopper Bluetoothache? TIA!

Don Sorcinelli
04-06-2003, 06:54 PM
I was able to get the Ambicom card to work with my T68. I used it with mPhone and Phone King, with no problems with either application.

I do admit, however, that I did not try this with GPRS (I do not have a data plan at this time).

DonS

Thinkingmandavid
04-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Howdy!:)
Well, it seems to me that companies are just wanting to get on the BT bandwagon instead of getting serious about a darn good product!!! A product that has low return, and etc.
software is the issue so more emphasis should be placed on it. by the wya, does anyone know of a wi fi card taht is CF and PCcard at teh same time, slide the cf in the pc card. I have seen the BT one, i dont know how well that works, i dont want or need anythign BT. I use my computer at starbucks, with the wi fi there from T-Mobile.
I feel as if, (getting back to bandwagon:) that not enough attention is being given to software upgrades, compatability, etc.