View Full Version : AOL On Your Pocket PC

Ed Hansberry
04-04-2003, 02:00 PM
AOL 2.0 for the Pocket PC is in beta. All of this is at AOL Keyword PDABETA or you can get more info from these links below.<br /><br />[snip]<br /><br />Everything seems to suggest this is strictly for Pocket PC 2002 devices. For those with AOL accounts, give these a shot and let us know how they work.<br /><br /><b>Update</b>: I modified the links and have been asked to emphasize that these are <b><span style="color:red">BETA</span></b> applications, so use at your own risk. :)<br /><br /><b>Update 2</b>: AOL's legal has asked that these links be removed. I suppose if you want in on the beta you have to do it within the AOL client on your desktop.

DavidRoss
04-04-2003, 04:04 PM
What i dont understand is why its free? i thought i saw this same software only yestuerday for 19.95 on the AOL site?

Janak Parekh
04-04-2003, 04:05 PM
What I don't quite understand is what was wrong with the original AIM v2. It works fine on my 3870 and the T-Mo PPCPE I currently use. And David's point too. I think AOL is totally uncoordinated on this. :?

AOL 2.0, now that's a different matter and it's very cool they're finally working on it.

--janak

AZMark
04-04-2003, 04:25 PM
The FAQ is on AIM, but the download says AOL. I know I recieved a message for beta testing AOL for PocketPC awhile back, but I was too late signing up. This would be the full (fuller) version of AOL which would include the mail client as well, not just AIM.

As far as the charging goes that is for the Pocket PC (not 2002) version of AIM. The old 1.0 version of AIM for 2002 is not referenced from any of their pages but can be downloaded at the following link.

www.aim.com/get_aim/win_ce/latest_wince.adp

Thanks to Pocket PC Mag, and Jared Miniman for the link.

anthonymoody
04-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hmmm...well, I installed AIM 2.0 on my TMo PPCPE and it's not working. When I try to sign on, it gives me an error saying that a connection could not be established (the connection window doesnt even pop up - it goes right to the AIM generated error window).

I tried establishing a connection first...both via IE and directly in the connections window. I get a connection no problem. Then, I open up AIM, and try to sign on. The same thing happens: I get an error message saying a connection could not be established.

Anyone?

TM

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2003, 04:29 PM
What i dont understand is why its free? i thought i saw this same software only yestuerday for 19.95 on the AOL site?

AIM is $19.95 in the US, free in the UK. Check this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4395&start=12)...

Steve

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2003, 04:31 PM
As far as the charging goes that is for the Pocket PC (not 2002) version of AIM. The old 1.0 version of AIM for 2002 is not referenced from any of their pages but can be downloaded at the following link.

www.aim.com/get_aim/win_ce/latest_wince.adp

Thanks to Pocket PC Mag, and Jared Miniman for the link.

That link no longer works. Use this link (http://ftp.newaol.com/aim-uk/wince/aim.exe) instead...

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Hmmm...well, I installed AIM 2.0 on my TMo PPCPE and it's not working. When I try to sign on, it gives me an error saying that a connection could not be established (the connection window doesnt even pop up - it goes right to the AIM generated error window).
I think I was having this problem too, and was able to solve it by taking the getmorespeed proxy out of the T-Mobile Internet entry in Connection Manager. If you still have problems after that, let me know and I'll run a test on my PPCPE. (I believe that requests are still piped through the proxy, actually, even if it's not specified...)

--janak

IntegraPrelude98
04-04-2003, 04:58 PM
I hate the UK version of AIM on my pocketpc but I just downloaded the version from the link on the front page and it works fine for me. Now I dont have to stare at the british stocket market quotes!! :D

IntegraPrelude98
04-04-2003, 04:59 PM
meant to put had, not hate the UK version..wow..you can tell I just woke up

Janak Parekh
04-04-2003, 05:02 PM
meant to put had, not hate the UK version..wow..you can tell I just woke up
You can edit posts here... just hit the Edit button. ;)

--janak

ExtremeSIMS
04-04-2003, 05:30 PM
edit

egoz
04-04-2003, 05:39 PM
I dunno, maybe i am... But....

I've been using AIM 2.0, *yes* 2.0 on my 3g-connected ipaq 3900 for over two months now. And, i bought it (in the US).

So, is this version (that i've had for two months), the beta software? a version prior to this so-called beta aim 2.0? or some other rogue beast?

I've seen posts like this before, announcing AIM 2.0, only to realise that i've been using the thing for sometime now.

Yeah, i'm confused. Version numbers shouldn't be this confusing, speaking as a software coder.

.rob adams

PapaSmurfDan
04-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Anyone notice in the AIM FAQ that the Axim X4 is supported. Does AOL know something about a future Dell PDA that we don't?

Kaber
04-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I've been using AIM 2.0 (2.0.13) for months and months. I wish they had file transfer available for it... or send image... anything.

jet8810
04-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Let me begin by saying that I think there is a true immorallness to this whoel fiasco. AOL betas are protected by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) which means that you cannot share the beta with others, and AFAIK even TELL others about it. This means that the man who posted this to the FTP broke the NDA. I think that Pocket PC Thoughts, you guys, are TOTALLY wrong for posting this article. By posting this article you are in a sense supporting the breaking of NDAs. I truely frown upon this, and I do not see how this has not been mentioned before. I am giving Pocket PC Thoughts the benefit of the doubt as it is quite possible you guys did not know about the NDA, but I think it would be quite courteous to pull the links from this article.

Thanks!

Kaber
04-04-2003, 08:33 PM
You should ask more questions before spouting off like that.

Thanks!

anthonymoody
04-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Hmm, well, I unselected the proxy server setting in the connections mgr and that did the trick...thanks!

TM

Ed Hansberry
04-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Let me begin by saying that I think there is a true immorallness to this whoel fiasco. AOL betas are protected by an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) which means that you cannot share the beta with others, and AFAIK even TELL others about it. This means that the man who posted this to the FTP broke the NDA. I think that Pocket PC Thoughts, you guys, are TOTALLY wrong for posting this article. By posting this article you are in a sense supporting the breaking of NDAs. I truely frown upon this, and I do not see how this has not been mentioned before. I am giving Pocket PC Thoughts the benefit of the doubt as it is quite possible you guys did not know about the NDA, but I think it would be quite courteous to pull the links from this article.

Thanks!
1) It was an AOL employee that wanted to spread the word
2) The external links were for the benefit of those that may not have a AOL session available - such as a person at work or traveling that wanted to put it on their Pocket PC
3) Betas are posted publicly all over the place. Pardon me for not memorizing all of them. Don't you dare call me immoral.
4) This was run by AOL's legal department first. AOL's legal department has since changed their mind and doesn't want the links shown and I am removing them right now.
5) I can assure you, I will not be linking to PDAJUNKIE.NET submissions in the future for fear of potentially violating some EULA/NDA or other legal issue behind one of the products being reviewed. I simply do not have time to read the fine print.
6) How is the weather up there on your high horse? :roll:

bmhome1
04-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Glad I grabbed it before it got pulled. Even after signing up over a month ago for their "anywhere beta" program, still haven't heard from them and the web site says no beta program yet available.

Now to install it and see what blows up (3955 fully backed up).

jet8810
04-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Ed, I truly did not mean any offense. I was simply sharing with you the NDA that existed in case you were not aware. I was just trying to help. I did not know that AOL ASKED you to post their NDA protected beta as that was not mentioned anywhere in the post. I did not mean to be arrogant, but I suppose I was. I share my opinions bluntly, for better or worse.

bmhome1
04-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Installed it on 3955 with XP running AS3.5 and nothing crashed or froze or destroyed anything so far (can you tell I tried prior AOL client app on a 2002).

It's a fat 1.5MB app. TCP/IP accesses mail fast. Launches IE to surf web. With modem it accesses mail fine (setup for a local number server because otherwise it defaults to 800 fee access). Didn't crash AS after installed. So far so good.

At AOL's fee structure it was an outrage that they actually charged $20 for the last PPC client. This should be free and available NOW to all subscribers. It's their design choices that required special software to simply retrieve mail. Anything else is arrogant and poor business practice.

Newsboy
04-04-2003, 11:20 PM
A horrible disease: constipation of the brain, diarrhea of the mouth. :lol:

Pony99CA
04-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Glad I grabbed it before it got pulled. Even after signing up over a month ago for their "anywhere beta" program, still haven't heard from them and the web site says no beta program yet available.
I was accepted into the beta, too, but still haven't seen any beta software, either. If there is a client out there, that seems odd. :-(

I didn't download the client when I first saw this thread because I didn't know what relevance ExtremeSIMS.com had to the AOL beta, and I wanted to get it directly from AOL. It wasn't on AOL, and now it's gone from ExtremeSIMS, too. :rawr:

Steve

dhettel
04-04-2003, 11:59 PM
The "Aim" part of this appears to be the same AIM I installed way back when the 3870 came out. I at least don't see any changes. Some one out there willing to tell me where my eyes have failed me? What's new? Also seems to be the same AIM that AOL has been selling here in the states for some time. What's new?

David

rfischer
04-05-2003, 12:17 AM
What is even more strange is that up until recently, I was able to download the same AIM client direct from AOL for free. I just went back to the old page and it's now $20.00. I've been using the same one (2.0) for a long time and have never had to pay. The link that was previously on this post was to the same version I already had.... What's up AOL? Are you trying to make us all insane? $20....free.....$20......free..... All I know is, I'm keepin' my free version! It works, and it didn't cost me $20!

New info: Here's a link to T-Mobile with AIM 2.0 for free. I didn't see anything that states you must be a T-Mobile user to download it.
http://t-mobile.handango.com/

I'm confused. :?

bmhome1
04-05-2003, 01:45 AM
I was able to move the whole 1.6MB AOL application to SD card without problems. The dial-up with local access numbers works really well and is at least as fast on the web and loading pages as my other dial-up ISP. For travel, out-of-town local server numbers are stored in setup. Using IE as the web browser is a neat feature. AOL has a winner here.

rzanology
04-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Well....i signed up to be a beta tester on aol, and have yet to see any links or e-mails about the app, so i was kinda shock to see it on ppt. but any who...i downloaded it. it seems to be working fine, except for my buddy list, it doesn't pull them, it says to try back later. But when i run aim, i can see my buddies and everything, so now i have to run the aol for my mail, and aim for my buddy. I don't really mind that, as long as i have access to my mail. I think they did a good job...im using my bluetooth connection as well as wifi. No problems on this side.

robwoomer
04-05-2003, 07:22 PM
The UK version of AOL mail for the Pocket PC is also free... http://ftp.newaol.com/mail-uk/wince/Setup_CE.exe

Also, the Brazilian version of AIM for Pocket PC 2.0 is still free and, although it is supposedly not for PocketPC 2002, it works fine on my Axim. Best of all, despite targeting this program to the Brazil market, they programmers decided to make the program and installer in ENGLISH exactly the same as the previously free American version.

Not hard to find...just go to: http://www.aol.com.br/aim/aim_wince/aim_br.exe

For such a large global company, the AOL marketing team really seems fragmented on this issue. :!:

ExtremeSIMS
04-06-2003, 03:15 AM
The UK version of AOL mail for the Pocket PC is also free... http://ftp.newaol.com/mail-uk/wince/Setup_CE.exe

Also, the Brazilian version of AIM for Pocket PC 2.0 is still free and, although it is supposedly not for PocketPC 2002, it works fine on my Axim. Best of all, despite targeting this program to the Brazil market, they programmers decided to make the program and installer in ENGLISH exactly the same as the previously free American version.

Not hard to find...just go to: http://www.aol.com.br/aim/aim_wince/aim_br.exe

For such a large global company, the AOL marketing team really seems fragmented on this issue. :!:

Here's the deal with that - it's the AOL Client for Pocket PC which can screw up devices running Pocket PC 2002. The older AIM clients typically run just fine, albeit with some performance issues on some devices.

If you run the older AOL Client on Pocket PC 2002 devices, you can lose all of your data. I speak from experience on several devices.

Kaber
04-07-2003, 08:19 AM
tell me more

ExtremeSIMS
04-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Another internal beta released. Looks good - fixes a problem with Toshiba e740s, and there is now TCP/IP connectivity.

[It's public knowledge we're working on the client, and it's not covered by NDA, for those of you who worry about such things.]

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It's actually pretty speedy, as well!

nickl
04-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Where can I get my grubby little hands on it???