View Full Version : Backup Battery

coldroyd
04-04-2003, 11:29 AM
My Backup battery keeps showing critically low capacity, and the notice comes up that i should replace it, after i recharge the main battery the level of the back up battery also goes up to 100%, drops to 80 then to 0% again and i am told to change it. Anyone any ideas

Sven Johannsen
04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Go buy yourself a new battery. It is well known that the battery monitor for the backup battery is a bit flakey, but not to the point of triggering a battery alarm. The typical symptom is bouncing between 80% and 100%.

Also a chance that the battery is not making good contact or is dirty. Finger oils can sometimes be a problem for watch batteries. Handle it with a glasses cleaning cloth or a cheap tissue. (expensive tissues have more oils in them than your fingers, to be nice to your nose)

If a new backup battery gives you the same issues, call Dell with the issue.

mscdex
04-04-2003, 04:06 PM
I heard somewhere before that the some of the Axims had problems like this, and that it doesn't mean that your backup battery is dead. The backup battery meter just bounces up and down, kinda like the main battery sometimes (at least on my ipaq). Just a flaky backup battery indicator I guess. :?

PapaSmurfDan
04-04-2003, 10:34 PM
I had this happen the other day. All of the sudden a big red warning saying my backup battery was dead popped up. Open up the battery meter and it was at 30%. A few taps later it was back to 80%. Try cleaning the battery and contacts. Thats what I did and everything is good again.