View Full Version : PocketPC 2002 turns on at midnight?

Newsboy
04-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Okay, this is gonna seem weeeeeeeird...but all of my PocketPCs turn on at midnight, everyday. Then, they turn right back off again. What the heck is goin on!???

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2003, 06:21 AM
All Pocket PC's turn on at midnight... This is supposed to happen...

Here is a good explanation:

I'll expand on Steve's response as to why this mystery midnight activity happens.

The PPC turns on at midnight to check for appointments for the coming day. Reminders are set and the Today view is updated with the day's events. (Otherwise, the logic goes, that you would be asking your PPC to hold however many days worth of alerts in memory-not an efficient use of resources.)

Steve

Pony99CA
04-04-2003, 07:29 AM
All Pocket PC's turn on at midnight... This is supposed to happen...

Here is a good explanation:

I'll expand on Steve's response as to why this mystery midnight activity happens.

The PPC turns on at midnight to check for appointments for the coming day. Reminders are set and the Today view is updated with the day's events. (Otherwise, the logic goes, that you would be asking your PPC to hold however many days worth of alerts in memory-not an efficient use of resources.)

That's correct. This updating can't be done "on demand" when you turn the Pocket PC on, because there might be alarms that would go off between the time you turned the Pocket PC off and the next time you turn it on. We already have enough alarms that don't go off until the Pocket PC is turned on (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5745). :roll:

Steve