View Full Version : SMTP over GPRS

sideshowbob
04-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I can sucessfully sync my pop3 and hotmail accounts using @mail and wap over bluetooth with my nokia 6310. However, when I use GPRS, receiveing mail is fine but sending always fails. What am I missing?

cheers

smittyofdhs
04-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I can sucessfully sync my pop3 and hotmail accounts using @mail and wap over bluetooth with my nokia 6310. However, when I use GPRS, receiveing mail is fine but sending always fails. What am I missing?

cheers

does your email server require SMTP AUTH (authentication)? Usually, when you can recieve but not send it's due to either SMTP AUTH not being turned on or the ISP/Carrier is filtering SMTP and not allowing it to pass-thru to your server (done for spamming reasons).

sideshowbob
04-03-2003, 08:44 PM

cheers

does your email server require SMTP AUTH (authentication)? Usually, when you can recieve but not send it's due to either SMTP AUTH not being turned on or the ISP/Carrier is filtering SMTP and not allowing it to pass-thru to your server (done for spamming reasons).

I don't think so but even so when I tick the appropriate boxes in ipaq mail setup to say authentication is needed it makes no difference.
also this works fine when I sync over dial-up WAP or through the cradle.

FredMurphy
04-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Most ISPs will only allow you to send via their SMTP server if you're logged on using their dial-up. this is to prevent spammers misappropriating their mail server.

Your GPRS provider (i.e. phone company) may give you a mail account you can use for outgoing mail.

sideshowbob
04-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Most ISPs will only allow you to send via their SMTP server if you're logged on using their dial-up. this is to prevent spammers misappropriating their mail server.

Your GPRS provider (i.e. phone company) may give you a mail account you can use for outgoing mail.

Ahh-ha, so there's no add-on software out there that would allow the authentication info to be entered for a GPRS sync?

JvanEkris
04-03-2003, 09:10 PM
My provider T-Mobile does not need an extra account. After a long time of nagging, complaining and threatning with law suits, they installed their own SMTP server, with a trick: all SMTP-traffic automaically gets rerouted to it :)

Another option is www.fastmail.fm, a mail provider that allows to use GPRS :)

Jaap

Janak Parekh
04-03-2003, 09:13 PM
My provider T-Mobile does not need an extra account. After a long time of nagging, complaining and threatning with law suits, they installed their own SMTP server, with a trick: all SMTP-traffic automaically gets rerouted to it :)
You mean T-Mobile Europe, don't you? I'd be beside myself if they did it on this side of the pond. :cry:

--janak

bdegroodt
04-03-2003, 10:26 PM
You mean T-Mobile Europe, don't you? I'd be beside myself if they did it on this side of the pond. :cry:

--janak

No. Actually TM/VS didn't allow SMTP service at first when they rolled out GPRS. I was there for the rage. I do recall the day I found out that it finally worked (Sitting in Logan with tears in my eyes as I could finally receive AND send!)

bdegroodt
04-03-2003, 10:28 PM
As a follow up to the original poster, if you're service provider (I'm assuming you're U.S. based and that could only leave Cingular & AT&T) won't allow for SMTP traffic, you can also use http://www.smtp.com/ They solved exactly this problem for me before TM got their act together.

Janak Parekh
04-03-2003, 10:31 PM
No. Actually TM/VS didn't allow SMTP service at first when they rolled out GPRS. I was there for the rage. I do recall the day I found out that it finally worked (Sitting in Logan with tears in my eyes as I could finally receive AND send!)
And what is this magical SMTP server? Or does it redirect any outbound SMTP requests, and I don't have to specify one?

I feel like I've been living in a cave, worrying about setting up SSL authenticated SMTP...

--janak

bdegroodt
04-03-2003, 10:36 PM
And what is this magical SMTP server? Or does it redirect any outbound SMTP requests, and I don't have to specify one?

I feel like I've been living in a cave, worrying about setting up SSL authenticated SMTP...

--janak

Honestly Janak, I never understood why it worked. I argued (Until using it) that it's still not the network providers SMTP server so it should fail just the same. My guess is that it's some sort of open relay server. I do remember having to use an alternate port number...I think...That was over a year ago though.

JvanEkris
04-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Well, in Europe, they catch the port used by SMTP traffic, and relay it to their own server. It created some confusion at first, because a lot of GPRS-providers had their own SMTP, with a name (like smtp.o2.nl) which had to be filled in in the mail settings before you could use it. However, nobody could find that adress, until people started to find out that any provider would do :). Further investigation learned that the original smtp mentioned was not even used, but that T-mobile caught any traffic, and sent it on their behalf (this could easily be verified by inestigating the headers):)

Jaap

Janak Parekh
04-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Jaap and Brian. I'm going to play around with it and, hopefully, have some email fun this weekend :D I'll report my findings back.

--janak