View Full Version : IR to Wireless

zwiggins
04-03-2003, 05:58 PM
I have a strange idea that I would like to try but I do not know if there is already software that will do the same thing.

I current have an e740 with wireless which works fine. What I would like to do is to be able to use this wireless from my laptop. I can currently connect using the IR port on my 740 and my laptop and swap files and such. What I would like to be able to do is for my PDA to allow an incoming connection, through IR, and connect it to the wireless network also. I have WindowsXP on my laptop and I can set up a IR connection to the internet. When I try to connect to my PDA it tells me that it is there but that it does not accept incoming connections.

So....I pretty much need to know if there is any software that will let my PDA act like a small hub/router in taking data from the IR port and putting it onto 802.11b.

Some of you may wonder why I don't just buy a PCMCIA card, and I do myself. I just thought it would be a nice little thing to be able to do since I already have wireless and the 128kbps limit on IR is enough.

Sven Johannsen
04-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Can't say I've ever heard of an implementation of Internet Connection Sharing on the PPC, which is essentially what you are looking for. If it exists, it is probably more expensice than just buying the WiFi for the laptop :?

You might ask about this in the Phone Edition forum(s). There is a community that might really benefit from being able to use their wireless device as a modem for their laptops. They may have more insight.

jeffmd
04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
you cannot. the pocket pc OS dosnt provide any type of connection sharing software. you want your pocket PC to act like an Infrared wifi network device for your laptop right?