View Full Version : Automatically turn on backlight with a reminder?

myet01
04-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Is there a way to automatically turnon the backlight when a reminder goes off? I keep my axim in its cradle at work and have it set to turn off the backlight after 5 mins. When a reminder goes off, it dings, but the backlight does not automatically turn on? I have to touch the screen?

Tony

smittyofdhs
04-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Is there a way to automatically turnon the backlight when a reminder goes off? I keep my axim in its cradle at work and have it set to turn off the backlight after 5 mins. When a reminder goes off, it dings, but the backlight does not automatically turn on? I have to touch the screen?

Tony

since the device is in the cradle, and the backlight has been forced off (5 min setting), it's not going to turn back on until you touch the screen. This design is by default. You have told the device to turn the light off until a screen tap. The only way for this to work would be to leave the light on while on external power (which is why it was defaulted that way when you got the device).

out of curiosity, if it's in the cradle, why do you have the device set to turn off the backlight? It's not hurting the device to leave it on, and it's not consuming any more power since it's plugged in.

myet01
04-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Being fairly old and remembering burn-in (TVs, monitors, etc...) I thought leaving it on might cause burn-in? If that is not the case, then I will change that.

Tony

smittyofdhs
04-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Being fairly old and remembering burn-in (TVs, monitors, etc...) I thought leaving it on might cause burn-in? If that is not the case, then I will change that.

Tony

burn-in is long gone... even modern day monitors don't exhibit that problem anymore.

myet01
04-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks for making me feel older! Also, thanks for answering back as well! Have a good day.

Tony

smittyofdhs
04-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks for making me feel older! Also, thanks for answering back as well! Have a good day.

Tony

actually I'm old school too and remember the days when screen savers were important. Remember good ole After Dark screen savers? the flying pigs, the toasters.... :)

Steven Cedrone
04-03-2003, 06:51 PM

Tony

actually I'm old school too and remember the days when screen savers were important. Remember good ole After Dark screen savers? the flying pigs, the toasters.... :)

Thanks for making me feel older as well... :roll: :lol: :wink:

Steve

Don't Panic!
04-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Get Pocket Candy (http://www16.brinkster.com/motbe/ce/PocketCandyDocs.asp) and even if you don't really have to worry about burn in it looks cool when it's running in your cradle. My PPC with this loaded is away right now so I can't do a reminder/alarm test but i think it cuts off when one of those events happens.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

myet01
04-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the tips, it is really appreciated!

Steven Cedrone
04-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Get Pocket Candy (http://www16.brinkster.com/motbe/ce/PocketCandyDocs.asp) and even if you don't really have to worry about burn in it looks cool when it's running in your cradle. My PPC with this loaded is away right now so I can't do a reminder/alarm test but i think it cuts off when one of those events happens.

I use DockWare (http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fg/dockware.htm) myself. Have it rotating through pictures of the kids. It also has a calendar and clock as well...

Steve

Janak Parekh
04-03-2003, 07:34 PM
No flying pigs, just flying toasters, actually. ;)

I remember version 3.0 -- I think you could specify whether there was toast was in the toasters, and maybe even how well it was done.

--janak

smittyofdhs
04-03-2003, 07:47 PM

I remember version 3.0 -- I think you could specify whether there was toast was in the toasters, and maybe even how well it was done.

--janak
I remember a flying pig also, maybe that was another app..but the toasters were for sure...

Steven Cedrone
04-03-2003, 08:26 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/afterdark_180.jpg

Steve

AZMark
04-07-2003, 09:32 PM
although LCD's will not get burn in in the traditional sense they will get a bit faded over time. and although the pda will most likely be obsolete or crunched before the backlight burns out they do have a mtbf.

so..... Turn off those LCDs!

smittyofdhs
04-07-2003, 09:35 PM
although LCD's will not get burn in in the traditional sense they will get a bit faded over time. and although the pda will most likely be obsolete or crunched before the backlight burns out they do have a mtbf.

so..... Turn off those LCDs!

yeah the LCD will fade over time but turning off the backlight will not prevent that from happening. If you read the original post, he is turning off the backlight, not the LCD.

Yuta
04-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Won't the backlight get burned over time?

motbe
04-15-2003, 05:23 AM

--janak

What's funny is, I've actually coded a flying toaster screensaver for the PocketPC. :D But, since the toaster trademark of AfterDark is now owned by Sierra (or maybe it's been passed on since then), I've not released it. Been meaning to make a toaster look alike 3D model of my own.. But haven't got it yet.. So, at least I can reminesce about AfterDark on my own PocketPC.. :|