View Full Version : Microsoft Enhances VoIP Support in CE .Net

Janak Parekh
04-03-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/apr03/04-02ComprehensiveVoIPPR.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/...nsiveVoIPPR.asp</a><br /><br /></div>"Today at the Spring 2003 Voice on the Net (VON) Trade Show & Expo, Microsoft Corp. announced a comprehensive Windows® CE .NET-based voice over IP (VoIP) solution that enables the integration of voice communications into a variety of IP-based client devices and services such as desktops and mobile phones. The new enhancements to Windows CE .NET include a sample Telephony User Interface (TUI), a comprehensive VoIP Application Interface Layer (VAIL) and Enterprise Infrastructure Integration services."<br /><br />Long-term (i.e., the next 10-20 years), I'd like to see phones just be VoIP data terminals -- circuit-switched POTS is an archaic system, and although CDMA voice protocols deconstruct the notion of the voice circuit, there is still a lot of cruft left over to support a completely separate voice channel - when in fact it's all basically data.

Gen-M
04-03-2003, 12:39 AM
The $64,000 Question:

Will this make it to PocketPC?

When?

that_kid
04-03-2003, 01:23 AM
The $64,000 Question:

Will this make it to PocketPC?

When?

Exactly my question. I especially liked the part about IPSec being included :D.

ricksfiona
04-03-2003, 02:22 AM
You would then get Nextel functionality into your PPC. That would be very cool for business applications.

One problem I have with having a phone system entirely IP based is hacker issues. Personally, I think it's much more difficult to hack a phone system than it is a computer network.

Going the way of total IP telephony is more than 20 years away. Why? One word: lobbyist.

It would be a tremendous investment at each of the central offices. Look how long it took just to get DSL implemented. It can still take a forever amount of time to get an installation date. The phone companies just wouldn't do this unless they were to get some major return, which they won't.

Businesses can do VOIP to a degree and it could save them a tremendous amount of money if they do long distance/international business.

that_kid
04-03-2003, 03:00 AM
My home phone is voip based. I pay $40/mo and get unlimited domestic and calls to Canada. It's a sweet service, plus I get all the features that verizon was raping me on and a local NJ number which is where most of my family lives. I'm by the way in Virginia so it's great (except when trying to order a pizza :roll: )

JonnoB
04-03-2003, 10:00 PM
My home phone is voip based.
Vonage?

that_kid
04-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Yep that's it :D