View Full Version : What pocket pc would you buy right now?

kevdawg2003
04-02-2003, 10:25 PM
If you needed a new one, what would be number one on your list?

ntractv
04-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Im torn between the iPAQ 5455 and the Toshiba e740. But, I'd probably get the 5455.

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 11:04 PM
What's your budget and what features are most important to you?

ntractv
04-02-2003, 11:10 PM
The SD and CF card slot appeals to me on the e740. Only SD on the iPAQ but there are the sleeves. Budget is really not an issue (though it should be) but I really want to delve into BT. But I am really trying to hold out because I've heard rumors of a 128mb RAM device coming out later (I hope I didn't dream that)

Removable batteries is also a big thing with me.

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 11:14 PM
I wasn't asking YOU, I was asking the original poster who asked the question in the first place!

I can't make a recommendation to someone unless I know what they want in a PPC :)

ntractv
04-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Sorry, I assumed it was a general open question

One-eYe
04-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Do not, i repeat, do not buy that 5455 until HP get's the battery problem fixed! The ratio to how many units sold to those returned is hilarious. My Rep wishes the 5455 would just go bye bye. However, if you do decide to get one, be sure the battery is made in Denmark, not Singapore. It looks as if all the battery failures are coming from Singapore.

This is all the reason i went with the 3955 :D

Janak Parekh
04-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Sorry, I assumed it was a general open question
It is, although you and PF are on separate wavelengths. :) It all depends, as she implied, what your budget is. Having seen your choices, though, you should also be considering the e750 -- transflective is generally preferred.

--janak

ntractv
04-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Do not, i repeat, do not buy that 5455 until HP get's the battery problem fixed! The ratio to how many units sold to those returned is hilarious. My Rep wishes the 5455 would just go bye bye. However, if you do decide to get one, be sure the battery is made in Denmark, not Singapore. It looks as if all the battery failures are coming from Singapore.

This is all the reason i went with the 3955 :D

I was under the impression that HP had patch downloads that addressed all the bugs in the 5455 (specifically a battery patch). I have the iPAQ 3835 now and it has been rock solid but lately I've noticed that every now and then when I'm writing with Letter Recognizer, as soon as the stylus hits the screen it will show a stray line so if I am attempting to write an "e" it comes out "I" and sometimes "Y" I am hoping and praying my digitizer isn't going on the fritz. I doesn't happen that often, but, often enough to be noticeable.

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 11:44 PM
See I would only recommend a unit that expensive if built-in connectivity was high on the list of important features to the person. If BT/Wifi isn't needed, or if the person wouldn't mind getting a card for them, then you're in a whole different price category and you have a lot more choices.

CTSLICK
04-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Dell Axim Advanced

Sheynk
04-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Personally I own the 3955 and would recommend it to anyone. Now, if price wasnt an object I would go with the Toshiba e750, if you dont need BT or fingerpring recognition :wink: Anyway, according to reviews th e750 has much better Wifi connection than the HP 5450/5. Plus the toshiba has the new PXA255 400Mhz processor with 200Mhz bus.

In two weeks the nearest Circuit City is getting a couple and my 3955 is has been getting some battery problems lately, if you know what I mean :wink:

gallianowebb
04-03-2003, 01:51 AM
If you needed a new one, what would be number one on your list?

I would get the Toshiba e550g with the 4.0 inch screen and dual slots. The only thing is the screen is reflective so I would either wait for the e550c (with the chrome out shell and camera) to immigate over from Japan or get the 3970 ipaq w/ blue tooth (the 5400 is butt ugly)!!!
For now I'm satisfied with my lil' ipaq 1910!!! For now....

kevdawg2003
04-03-2003, 03:47 AM
wow you guys are awesome!

thanks for your help

i am looking for something along the lines of this:
SD and CF slots
next gen processor
Bluetooth is something i'd enjoy in the near future
wifi is no biggie
battery life is very important

and that is pretty much it. mostly i have been eyeballing the ipaq 3950s. they seem to have what i desire. let me know what you think! thanks again!

Sheynk
04-03-2003, 03:56 AM
well, if you want a next gen proc. , the only device that you can purchase now is the e750 and the Dell(rumor?). Unless you dont have a budget and are willing to buy sleeves the Ipaq is not that bad of a choice, but its only SD when "naked".

PS, do you have a bluetooth phone?

PS2: if im wrong please feel free to correct me

PS3: If you dont need the Wifi, you might want to look at devices coming out soon.

PS4: Next Gen OS is just around the corner but my speculation is that Intel wont introduce yet another chip in 3 months

Shadowcat
04-03-2003, 04:04 AM

thanks for your help

SD and CF slots
next gen processor
wifi is no biggie

and that is pretty much it. mostly i have been eyeballing the ipaq 3950s. they seem to have what i desire. let me know what you think! thanks again!

From what you said it seems that the Dell Axim X5 Advanced would fit your criteria better, since the CF slot would be built-in and they are reportedly coming out with the new processors now, and the battery life is among the best of PPCs.

However if you don't mind getting a expansion sleeve the 3950/3970 would be a good choice too. Their battery life is pretty solid too. If you're looking at iPAQs and may want Bluetooth, why not consider the 3970? If you want bluetooth wouldn't it be nice to have it built-in? I'm assuming that since you want dual slots that you probably have CF memory cards. If you do and you buy a bluetooth card, you'll have to choose between either one! I want bluetooth and a CF slot and that's why I want a 3970. But if price is an issue, definately go for the Axim.

Just my 2 cents

PetiteFlower
04-03-2003, 04:26 AM
I would not recommend an Ipaq of any number since you want dual slots. Plus the prices are unjustifiably high.

If price is not an issue and built-in connectivity is important to you, then I'd recommend the Toshiba e750. I don't know what their battery life is like though.

If price IS an issue and/or you don't mind using cards to add connectivity, then get the Dell Axim 400mh. I can personally vouch for the PHENOMENAL battery life of the Axim. It rocks. And the screen is just gorgeous. I love my Axim :) Plus they are *supposedly* now including the new processor.

Weyoun6
04-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Right now, I would buy an Axim. I'm a function over form kind of guy.

spursdude
04-04-2003, 01:35 AM

thanks for your help

SD and CF slots
next gen processor
wifi is no biggie

I'm with the others - go for the Axim. It meets all of your critera. How important are size and weight to you?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
04-04-2003, 01:39 AM
...I was dreaming of holding one of the new pocket pcs, but I'm really happy with my e310. Wi-fi and more RAM and more BUS are just frosting to me. I either get new parts for my desktop, or a new pocket pc due to budget limits. The PC wins ;3.

If I did want a new one, It would probably be the t-mobile XDA.