View Full Version : Need Rapid Feedback on Sound Volume vs. iPaq/other PPCs for App in Afghanistan

kzemach
04-02-2003, 08:10 PM
(apologies upfront for not doing an extensive review reading and websearch, but the net here in Kandahar is SLOW. Took me like 5 min to get to post this message!)

Issue: Found easy way to make English to Pashtu one-way text to speech translator (use the voice recorder). Command loves it, wants me to get PPCs for all the squad leaders (27 units to start with...) Trying to decide what model to get.

Have an iPaq out here (3800 series) and that works great, both in terms of recording Pashtu and in terms of volume when playing a phrase. Looking seriously at Axim due to low price, multiple memory slots to enable add-on functionality without sleeves.

BUT, sound is the killer app here, and I need to know if the speaker on the Axims is the same volume at full-tilt as the iPaq 3800s (3835 specifically). If it's not as loud, then it's a non-starter. If it's LOUDER, then it's a done deal for the Axims. Also, if anyone has any knowledge of other PPCs that are louder than the 3800's.

Thanks guys.

(also, any quirks or problems with the Axim that might take it out of the running would be appreciated).

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 08:23 PM
I know the QUALITY of the sound on the Axim speaker is pretty crappy, you wouldn't want to listen to music on it. But as far as volume goes, I haven't used an Ipaq to compare.

In general though, the Axim is a solid unit and I think it's great for people like me who had never used a PPC before.

Stealthboy
04-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Sorry, the speaker in the Axim is definitely not as loud as those in any of the iPAQs. From my experience, the Axim at full volume is about half as loud as the 36xx, 38xx, or 39xx at full.

dequardo
04-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Concurring with the others here. The Axim is neither as loud or as clear as my 1910

tccox
04-03-2003, 08:59 PM
As former owner of a 3800 series IPAQ and present owner of a Axim, go with the IPAQ. Sound on the AXIM is about 1/2 as loud as the IPAQ. What about the 1910 HP ??????? Now, I do love my Axim, but audio system is not one of it's strong points.

kzemach
04-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Thanks. Yah, we're probably going to go for the 3800/3900s. The 5400's aren't as loud, although that's allegedly a firmware issue with a software fix out already, but I hear the Dpad on it sucks, the bluetooth is flaky, and even the 802.11b isn't all that great. Plus, the biometric won't work on soldiers, as their fingers get worn off every other day. And it's exhorbitantly $$$$. We'll probaly get one or two 5400s to use the integrated 802.11 to control some robots that are coming our way that run off it.

Tried a Toshiba, and, to quote some soldiers out here, "It's volume was ass."

We're also going to get one or two of the ruggedized mil PPCs, just for comparison. My guess is the extra cost won't be worth the extra weight and size.

1910: Great in theory, but we do need to use some of the sleeves now and then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1910 won't work with standard iPaq sleeves.

Thanks again,

Ken

PetiteFlower
04-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Now, I do love my Axim, but audio system is not one of it's strong points.

Sadly, agreed. No system is perfect I guess :)

Janak Parekh
04-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks. Yah, we're probably going to go for the 3800/3900s. The 5400's aren't as loud, although that's allegedly a firmware issue with a software fix out already, but I hear the Dpad on it sucks, the bluetooth is flaky, and even the 802.11b isn't all that great.
The 5400 volume fix only affects headphones anyway.

If you want the truly loudest, get a 37xx series iPaq. Sheer insanity, IIRC. ;) Of course, the dust conditions might be bad for the poorly-sealed screen...

And you're correct about the 1910s not supporting the sleeves.

--janak