View Full Version : Creepy in Toronto

Jason Dunn
04-02-2003, 12:31 AM
So I'm sitting here at the Toronto airport, on the ground next to the only power plug I could find to charge my laptop. It amazes me airports make things so difficult for mobile travellers. We need power!<br /><br />All my technology is working well so far. I'm connected to the mobile forums through <a href="http://www.fido.ca">Fido</a> GPRS, creating this message on my Axim using <a href="http://www.softspb.com/products/fsk/index.html">Spb Full Screen Keyboard</a>. It's the first time I've used this app extensively, and it's pretty darn cool! No substitute for a real keyboard mind you, but I can go pretty fast on it. Far higher accuracy rate than Transcriber.<br /><br />A guy just walked by wearing a face mask, because there's some killer disease dubbed <a href="http://www.who.int/csr/sars/en/">SARS</a> that has killed five people in Toronto so far. I think...I feel so ignorant without high-speed access to Google. Shades of outbreak! I'll just hold my breath I guess. 8O<br /><br />I'm sort of wondering what I was thinking in leaving home at all. :roll: I'm heading to a country that seems to hate English-speaking people (I really hope I'm wrong on that) and travelling in the middle of a war. All for Pocket PCs! :way to go: Signing off...

Paragon
04-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Ha! Welcome to Ontario.....you didn't touch that guy did you? :-)

The disease is called SARS. My wife is a nurse at a hospital here in London. At present all doors into the hospital except two are closed. Only parents of very ill children are allowed in. Everyone must wear masks, and gowns at all times.

10 years ago would you ever have thought that the safest place you would be on a trip like this would be Russia? :)

Dave

Foo Fighter
04-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Have a safe flight Jason.

pschultz
04-02-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm connected to the mobile forums through Fido (http://www.fido.ca) GPRS, creating this message on my Axim using Spb Full Screen Keyboard (http://www.softspb.com/products/fsk/index.html).

8O What mobile forums :?:

Janak Parekh
04-02-2003, 12:54 AM
I'm connected to the mobile forums through Fido (http://www.fido.ca) GPRS, creating this message on my Axim using Spb Full Screen Keyboard (http://www.softspb.com/products/fsk/index.html).
Heheh. They're being beta tested. They do exist, they're just not public access. Stay tuned! :)

--janak

Ed Hansberry
04-02-2003, 12:54 AM

Coming to a Pocket PC screen near you in 2 weeks!

Wes Salmon
04-02-2003, 12:55 AM
I'm sitting in the Seattle Airport waiting to go to Paris via Copenhagen myself. I actually brought some masks for myself because I'm soooo not interested in getting SARS.

I wouldn't worry too much about those who hate english speakers, we'll be in Disney Paris which should be a little more friendly than the raw streets of Paris. :)

pschultz
04-02-2003, 12:57 AM

Coming to a Pocket PC screen near you in 2 weeks!

Sweet! :clap:

Foo Fighter
04-02-2003, 01:01 AM
You guys really have a great deal of testicular fortitude. You couldn't get me in a plane with all the crazy things that are happening at this moment.

Janak Parekh
04-02-2003, 01:05 AM
You guys really have a great deal of testicular fortitude. You couldn't get me in a plane with all the crazy things that are happening at this moment.
Dude, I travel in the NYC subway every day -- and through two of the busiest stations in the city. :lol:

--janak

Foo Fighter
04-02-2003, 01:15 AM
[Dude, I travel in the NYC subway every day -- and through two of the busiest stations in the city. :lol

I'm afraid of Subways. The possibility that a terrorist may highjack an L-train and drive it into a tall building is rather remote. When you're 20,000 up flying the "friendly" skies, it becomes a different matter.

Janak Parekh
04-02-2003, 01:25 AM
I'm afraid of Subways. The possibility that a terrorist may highjack an L-train and drive it into a tall building is rather remote. When you're 20,000 up flying the "friendly" skies, it becomes a different matter.
You're not thinking laterally (or maybe you are?) -- my "fear" is not the misdirected subway train, but rather the explosive. Or SARS. But there really isn't any other choice in NYC. ;)

--janak

freitasm
04-02-2003, 01:55 AM
A guy just walked by wearing a face mask, because there's some killer disease dubbed SARS (http://www.who.int/csr/sars/en/) that has killed five people in Toronto so far. I think...I feel so ignorant without high-speed access to Google. Shades of outbreak! I'll just hold my breath I guess. 8O

That's why the company I work for (yes I'm in New Zealand, but I work for an American company) cancelled business trips to Asia... I was "invited" to go to Singapore last week, and gently declined. I'm not into going to the country with second number of cases of SARS after Honk Kong :|

dean_shan
04-02-2003, 01:58 AM
8O What mobile forums :?:Coming to a Pocket PC screen near you in 2 weeks!

Yahoo! I can't wait. :D Thanks for building a mobile forum.

yschang
04-02-2003, 02:13 AM
So I'm sitting here at the Toronto airport, on the ground next to the only power plug I could find to charge my laptop. It amazes me airports make things so difficult for mobile travellers. We need power!

All my technology is working well so far. I'm connected to the mobile forums through Fido (http://www.fido.ca) GPRS

If only you've been to Singapore International Airport... I'll say that's a mobile traveler-friendly airport.

I have been travelling via Singapore to other parts of the world for business. For years, they provided free internet access (hardwire) with comfy sofa and desk and this is not executive launge!!! 8O And for the past couple of years, they provide WiFi as well. Talk about customer satisfaction, I know I'm satisfied!!! :lol:

The payphones have RJ45 socket for you to connect and allow you to call free to all local phone numbers!!!

I wish all major airports can have this kind of service and it will be heaven for us!!!

Kati Compton
04-02-2003, 02:13 AM
I was in Toronto a week ago, and I'm still okay...

As for France, I was in the south of France in late August/early Sept, and did not encounter any rudeness. On the other hand, no one spoke English and they were less used to American tourists....

kfluet
04-02-2003, 02:24 AM
Jason, I hate to be The Voice of Doom and Gloom but I expect you'll see people wearing masks at the Calgary airport when you get back. According to the Health Canada website, there are seven suspected cases of SARS in Alberta as of today.

On a lighter note, YAY for mobile forums! Been wishing for them for a while.

Man, Paris and St. Petersburg? Don't you DARE miss the art museums--they don't get any better. Even if you aren't a big fan of art, I am sure that they will blow you away.

And don't worry that the French will hate you because you speak English. They are equally rude to everyone.

Just kidding. The French are actually quite nice. The key is to be polite and not expect them to speak English. A big smile works wonders, too.

Enjoy your trip.

Jeff Rutledge
04-02-2003, 02:25 AM
I'm sitting in a Toronto hotel right now. Got here Sunday and head back to Calgary on Friday.

Two people in our office are at home quarantined because they visited someone in one of the hospitals here (that's where the cases have originated).

Two people were wearing masks when I got off the plane too. Kind of eerie.

alex22
04-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Jason,

Have a safe flight :D

I am here in NYC, with multiple levels of fears spreading in the city, SARS, terrorist attacks, and more.

In the midst of those things, we continue to live our life and try to enjoy and appreciate our life as much as we can :)

Ed Hansberry
04-02-2003, 04:55 AM
I'm afraid of Subways.
Me too. I keep looking over my shoulder thinking that Jared character is going to come up and pull out his waist band on his "Andre the Giant" pants and show me how much weight he lost by eating the Onion & Tomato Sub everyday for 6 months.

kfluet
04-02-2003, 05:37 AM
I'm afraid of Subways.
Me too. I keep looking over my shoulder thinking that Jared character is going to come up and pull out his waist band on his "Andre the Giant" pants and show me how much weight he lost by eating the Onion & Tomato Sub everyday for 6 months.

:D

ROTFL! Man, you just made me flash back to a few years ago when I used to work really late at the office and most places to eat were closed. The only place open within five blocks was Subway. I ate Subway every night for months. Gained 15 pounds!

8O

madbart
04-02-2003, 06:42 AM
For all of you that are scare of the terrorists please feel free to migrate to Australia where the only worry you have is to look out for the mad Collingwood supporters after a bad loss! :D :D :D Even then it is restricted to a couple of states!

ctmagnus
04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
For all of you that are scare of the terrorists please feel free to migrate to Australia where the only worry you have is to look out for the mad Collingwood supporters after a bad loss! :D :D :D Even then it is restricted to a couple of states!

Nah. The Canadian Rockies are where it's at, 'cept for all the Oriental tourists. But once the SARS thing is over it will supposedly be all better.

Snail
04-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Jason,

You'll be fine in France. Those good people at Disneyland Paris Resort are under explicit orders to be nice to everyone (even us English speakers...)

numb
04-02-2003, 09:39 AM
what..people outside North America don't speak English? Pesky foreigners! :wink:

GingerTommy
04-02-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm heading to a country that seems to hate English-speaking people (I really hope I'm wrong on that)

It's not that the French hate english speakers, they just love, and are very protective of, their own language.
Most (younger) french people I know can speak at least two languages and everyone I have ever talked to in France has had a better understanding of English than I have of French. You should get by OK :)

hamishmacdonald
04-02-2003, 01:11 PM
The media are doing their best to play up the SARS fear (visions of the Apocalypse are what they're best at). It's really hurting Toronto businesses. The reality is that, so far, 6 people in Canada have died of SARS, and two of those were over 70 and in the hospital being treated for other conditions. While this is sad, it's not an epidemic. To give you some context, up to 6,000 people each year in Canada die of the flu. And many SARS patients are now recovering - possibly responding to treatment, possibly on their own, doctors aren't sure.

Canadian media guru Marshall Macluhan said, "Why is all the news bad news? Because the good news is the ads."

By all means, take care of yourself and do what makes you feel safe. But don't buy the media's hype.

- Hamish

dMores
04-02-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm heading to a country that seems to hate English-speaking people (I really hope I'm wrong on that)
just wear a maple-leaf baseball cap with a maple-leaf t-shirt and matching maple-leaf pins on your rucksack and they'll be nice to you.

it's sort of like when people hear you speak german, then ask you if you're from germany and their faces lighten up because you tell them you're from austria.

oh, and don't order "freedom fries" (talk about kindergarden behaviour). they call 'em "pommes de liberté". ;)

btw, austria's vienna international airport has free WiFi (W-LAN, wireless networking, whatever you want to call it) at the moment. it'll be free for another couple of months, i think.

oh yes, and i'm excited to hear that there'll be mobile forums too.
have a safe and fun trip.

TopDog
04-02-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm heading to a country that seems to hate English-speaking people (I really hope I'm wrong on that) and travelling in the middle of a war. All for Pocket PCs! :way to go: Signing off...
Most french speak English, they just don't want to :-)

My company's also represented at the Conference... have a lookout for ePocket Solutions, and say hello to a man called Magne from meg ;-)

rlobrecht
04-02-2003, 02:03 PM
That's why the company I work for (yes I'm in New Zealand, but I work for an American company) cancelled business trips to Asia... I was "invited" to go to Singapore last week, and gently declined. I'm not into going to the country with second number of cases of SARS after Honk Kong :|

Our company has also restricted travel. You have to go several layers up to get travel approval, and they've created a whole list of places that are just off-limits right now.

Kati Compton
04-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Most french speak English, they just don't want to :-)

In the major metropolitan cities that might be true, but it's actually not country-wide. I was in an area where I only encountered maybe 2 people that spoke English during my whole trip.

I think it's nice to at least make an effort to speak the local language when travelling.

PhatCohiba
04-02-2003, 03:46 PM
I lived in Paris for three years of high school in the 80s. (remeber Libya and German Discos.)

The french in Paris remind me of New Yorkers :bad-words: (sorry Janek), they are less rude and more impatient and intollerant of those who don't know what they are doing. I also wouldn't be suprised to find more then one Frenchman who thinks that Saddam needs to go and is in disagreement with their government.

As anywhere, if you're polite and respectful , you'll have a good experience. Ask if they speak english, don't assume, hold out big wads of cash :iamwithstupid: , they'll be nice enough :ladysman: (at least to the cash ;-)

Don't eat conference food, go out, Paris is a great food city. :drinking: :pukeface:

ihatephones
04-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Hope your trip goes well. I enjoy hearing about people's connections out and about. Sars does look scary, be careful.

This part goes to some of the others on this thread, you guys bought mobile devices, but are afraid to go outside or go to a transportion center?

Um.. don't be a wuss, learn ninja skills or something. Maybe change your daily mantra-astral-aura-chant thingy..I won't be a wimp, I won't be a wimp.. Act like a candadian? Hope all the donuts make you fat. eh?

ExtremeSIMS
04-02-2003, 04:16 PM
I left DC in the midst of the sniper shootings (one of the gas stations I use is one of the ones hit) and flew to Tel Aviv, where there had been a 10 day respite in the bombing. That day, there was a new bombing.
I am about to fly back out there. :?

More people die driving down the road to pick up their groceries than from SARS or terrorism.

bdegroodt
04-02-2003, 04:28 PM
You're not thinking laterally (or maybe you are?) -- my "fear" is not the misdirected subway train, but rather the explosive. Or SARS. But there really isn't any other choice in NYC. ;)

--janakI'll second that one Janak! GC&Penn are on my list of get in and get out as fast as possible station list.

Foo- You're right, the chances of driving a train into a building is pretty remote, but there's way more that can happen to the subway than the plane. A plane has only a couple areas of potential compromise. The subway, starting with no security check to get in, to a vast unprotected network of stations and tube make attack a very easy thing. In fact, I'm still in dismay that there isn't better protection going on down below. It'll likely take another 9/11 for action to be put in place. That said, nothing has happened and I'm confident enough to take it daily.

Steven Cedrone
04-02-2003, 05:26 PM
The subway, starting with no security check to get in, to a vast unprotected network of stations and tube make attack a very easy thing. In fact, I'm still in dismay that there isn't better protection going on down below. It'll likely take another 9/11 for action to be put in place.

Man I love these "wide open" topics! How can I yell at you guys/gals about staying on-topic when Jason touched upon so many different things in his post... :wink:

Anyway, subway attacks have already happened, just not in the U.S. You would think after becoming paranoid about terrorism, someone in our government would look at some clips from the Sarin gas attacks in the subways of Japan... :roll:

Too bad we (meaning the U.S.) seem to be "reactive" instead of being "proactive"...

Steve

Don Tolson
04-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Just keep wearing that Canadian flag (you do have one prominently displayed on your luggage, don't you? :D) and you'll be fine. When I was younger, and doing fairly extensive world travel, I always made sure the maple leaf was clearly visible. It made a difference.

daS
04-02-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm with the others here - the stats are better on an airplane or with SARS than the taxi ride from the airport.

As for the French – there are enough Canadian politicians publicly calling Bush an idiot that the French should welcome you. :ppclove: Seriously, on my recent trip to Germany, politics were mostly avoided, but even when the subject did come up, everyone I talked to was polite – even when we disagreed. I also noticed that the typical response was “war is bad – there should be a better alternative.” But when I said I (and most Americans) agree with that statement, but pressed them to suggest an alternative, I never got an answer. 8O The bottom line is that the politicians in all our countries are much more extreme than the typical citizen.

So I wouldn’t worry about SARS or being spit upon in the streets of Paris because they think you are from the States – both are rarer than the media would have us believe.

Enjoy the trip! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say I'm looking forward to your field reports.

ctmagnus
04-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Act like a candadian? Hope all the donuts make you fat. eh?

Actually, we don't have a decent donut place here. So not all Canadians consume vast quantities of donuts.

Jonathon Watkins
04-02-2003, 11:22 PM
For all of you that are scare of the terrorists please feel free to migrate to Australia where the only worry you have is to look out for the mad Collingwood supporters after a bad loss!

Soooo - what about all the poisonous insects, reptiles, fish, jellyfish? Oh and the man eating sharks and dangerous dropbears. :wink:

I personally like France - it would be great without the French. :twisted:

freitasm
04-03-2003, 12:52 AM
For all of you that are scare of the terrorists please feel free to migrate to Australia where the only worry you have is to look out for the mad Collingwood supporters after a bad loss!

Soooo - what about all the poisonous insects, reptiles, fish, jellyfish? Oh and the man eating sharks and dangerous dropbears. :wink:

Actually you should come to New Zealand. Australia is involved in the Iraq War and they're in full alert against terrorist attacks. New Zealand is more low profile on this :D

ctmagnus
04-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Actually you should come to New Zealand. Australia is involved in the Iraq War and they're in full alert against terrorist attacks. New Zealand is more low profile on this :D

Plus the fact that in that one book, it was one of the two places on Earth that survived a nuclear war.

bdegroodt
04-03-2003, 03:03 AM

Ummm...Isn't that where Frodo and the ring are though? :wink:

PhatCohiba
04-03-2003, 04:19 AM

And I've been following that war, My money is on that Sauron guy, he looks tough.

daS
04-03-2003, 04:51 AM

And I've been following that war, My money is on that Sauron guy, he looks tough.
I'll be happy to take that bet. (I've read Return of the King . :wink: )

freitasm
04-03-2003, 06:03 AM

I'll be happy to take that bet. (I've read Return of the King . :wink: )

I know a few people that worked as Orcs (yes, a few real life ones in between millions of CG), and a guy who helped building one set for Return of the King... I think it's going to be pretty tough :wink:

daS
04-03-2003, 06:21 AM
I know a few people that worked as Orcs (yes, a few real life ones in between millions of CG),
I realize that a lot of folks over there worked as extras in the LOTR, but if I were one of them I would never admit to being one of the Orcs. 8O

and a guy who helped building one set for Return of the King... I think it's going to be pretty tough :wink:
Sure, but I doubt that they are willing to piss off all the JRRT fans by completely rewriting the end of the story. :wink:

freitasm
04-03-2003, 07:48 AM
I know a few people that worked as Orcs (yes, a few real life ones in between millions of CG),
I realize that a lot of folks over there worked as extras in the LOTR, but if I were one of them I would never admit to being one of the Orcs. 8O

and a guy who helped building one set for Return of the King... I think it's going to be pretty tough :wink:
Sure, but I doubt that they are willing to piss off all the JRRT fans by completely rewriting the end of the story. :wink:

Oh, don't worry... The story is exactly what JRRT wrote. I just said tough because there's a big battle...

Tom_Gilheany
04-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Hope you made it back okay.

I was stuck in the Toronto Airport for 3 days in a row (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), each day hoping that either the weather would clear up, or that they would get another shipment of de-icing fluid (which they had run out of).

The only flight that took off all 3 days was to Honolulu, but I didn't think my accounting department would accept an excuse that it was my only route home...

-->Tom

Jeff Rutledge
04-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Hope you made it back okay.

I was stuck in the Toronto Airport for 3 days in a row (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), each day hoping that either the weather would clear up, or that they would get another shipment of de-icing fluid (which they had run out of).

The only flight that took off all 3 days was to Honolulu, but I didn't think my accounting department would accept an excuse that it was my only route home...

-->Tom

That's too bad Tom. I was only delayed a day, but it ended up costing me a pretty penny because my original flight ended up going on time (stupid reliable WestJet :D ). That plus the extra day in the hotel added up to an expensive day.

I was lucky that we did get off. I was told that there would be major delays if any ice accumulated on the wing during descent into Toronto. Luckily, there wasn't so we were good to go.

I called WestJet after and got some of the change fee back as it was really high (&lt;tangent> they're such a great airline...I refuse to fly Air Canada unless it's somewhere WJ doesn't go).&lt;/tangent>

Anyways, glad to be home.

PS: Tom: I'd have tried the Hawaii thing. It might have worked... :silly: