View Full Version : ARRRGH! Need RAS/VPN help!

Underwater Mike
03-31-2003, 11:54 PM
I'm trying to enable remote syncing over the Net with my home machine. I've read every thread I can find on every board I can find, but I'm only halfway there. I've fallen and I can't get up! Here's the situation:

1) I'm running XP Pro behind a residential gateway (DL-704), which is assigned a dynamic IP from my cable modem. The gateway uses DHCP to give the XP machine a private IP.

2) I've created a VPN connection in XP and set it up to allow an incoming connection under TCP/IP.

3) I've set up an account on DynDNS.org, and I'm using DirectUpdate to push the gateway's IP to my DynDNS account.

Now, how do I get the incoming ActiveSync connection to go to the XP box? The D-Link gateway has a port-forwarding function (at least that's what I think the "Virtual Server" option is), but I don't know what to do with it. Do I map the ActiveSync ports to my internal IP? External IP? Telephone number? Shoe size? :silly: After I figure that out, how do I get ActiveSync to connect via the VPN connection I've set up and not leave my machine open to the universe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am dying to travel without this stupid laptop. :bangin:

Underwater Mike
04-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Bumpitty

Underwater Mike
04-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Okay, I have it working via Sprint Vision. Not too fast, but bearable. Technology is great. 0X

Now, how do I keep the rest of the world from coming into my computer?
:bangin: