View Full Version : O2 XDA Firmware Upgrade Released

Janak Parekh
03-31-2003, 08:23 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservices/xda/romupgrade/' target='_blank'>http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservice...xda/romupgrade/</a><br /><br /></div>Finally, the long-awaited firmware update for O2 XDAs is now available. New features include:<li> Faster Internet access. Web surfing speeds increased by up to 33%.<br /><li> An option for the GPRS call to be 'always on' even when the xda goes into power save mode.<br /><li> Enhanced SIM management so that SIM entries are loaded into 'Contacts' as 'mobile' numbers, meaning texts can be sent straight from your contacts list.<br /><li> An ISDN WAP capability for faster WAP access. It seems like it's a noticeable stepup from even the T-Mobile upgrade - the GPRS "always on" was one of the big problems with the Phone Edition. If any of you have upgraded, post here and let us know how it works! (<i>Warning:</i> Don't try this on any other Pocket PC Phone Edition device...)

rlobrecht
03-31-2003, 08:40 PM
I wonder how battery life will be affected by always-on GPRS?

SLUG
03-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Anybody out there brave enought to try this on the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone? :microwave:

vybe23
03-31-2003, 09:09 PM
an always on option would be great for GPRS!!

if ANYONE tries it on ppc phone edition from t mobile please let us know asap!

griph
03-31-2003, 09:27 PM
If any of you have upgraded, post here and let us know how it works! (Warning: Don't try this on any other Pocket PC Phone Edition device...)
I've downloaded the two files ROM v3.14.13 and Radio v4.16 - and am (with some trepidation) about to do the upgrade! I shall report back. By the way - for future reference griph=David Griffiths! Fingers crossed - here goes!

Mike Wagstaff
03-31-2003, 09:31 PM
I wonder what the differences, if any, are between the UK update and the Irish update (http://www1.o2.ie/xda_upgrade) which was released back on December 13th of 2002 (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23327)...

Personally, I have a UK O2 with the Irish update, and I'm perfectly happy - no problems whatsoever to report. From reading the all-too brief information on the UK update webpage, there doesn't seem to be anything new in the UK update that the Irish update doesn't already offer.

Am I missing something here? Or is O2 UK doing a fine job of appearing to be completely and utterly incompetent?

Janak Parekh
03-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Am I missing something here? Or is O2 UK doing a fine job of appearing to be completely and utterly incompetent?
Looks it. :lol:

--janak

griph
03-31-2003, 11:32 PM
If any of you have upgraded, post here and let us know how it works! (Warning: Don't try this on any other Pocket PC Phone Edition device...)
I've downloaded the two files ROM v3.14.13 and Radio v4.16 - and am (with some trepidation) about to do the upgrade! I shall report back. By the way - for future reference griph=David Griffiths! Fingers crossed - here goes!

OK! Rom & Radio upgraded, backup restored - no problem. Phone and Web/Email working - I can confirm GPRS stays on - once you have set the GPRS setting in Settings (although it seems that you have to have PIE or Email app open - will report back when I have had time to test this more thoroughly. Now have v3.14.13 ROM and v4.16 Radio. :-) There are a number of inaccuracies in the instructions within the PDF instructions, these are mainly as follows:
Title for Radio Stack upgrade refers to v4.08 - rather than 4.16 (4.16 is corrrect).
Once this exe file is run the headers refer to Programme B/ Instralling HTC Programme B rather than Radio Stack Upgrade Utility/Installing HTC RSUpgrade.
There is a missing instruction regarding the temporary removal of the AC Power supply from the cradle prior to pressing start on XDA screen (Item 3.4) and the need to reinsert same on completing that stage.
Instruction 3.6 can be disregarded - assuming that both files have already been downloaded from O2 web site.
Instruction 3.9 refers to Programme A and not ROM Upgrade Utility.
Strongly recommend that you restore backup from SD rather than through Activesync. The restore and subsequent sync went like clockwork. If you restore from Activesync you have to delete existing Partrnership and set up a new one with the same name - seems like a lot of unnecessary hastle and prone to problems (possibly - remember Murphy's/Sod's 3rd law states that if something can FU it probably will - and with Active sync I was taking no risks! ;-)
Shall take some time over the next 24hrs to suss out changes and try and find them all out! There doesn't seem to be a full list of improvements and bug fixes!
By the way - the Irish Upgrade - what ROM version is it? It would seem from the paper work that O2 UK were to release Radio Upgrade 4.08 but actually released v4.16 - no idea of what differences were included in the v4.16 that were not in 4.08!

Mike Wagstaff
04-01-2003, 03:26 AM
For the sake of comparison, here are the details from the Irish version:

ROM version: 3.14.13
ROM date: 10/09/02
Radio version: 4.14
Protocol version: 32S54

possmann
04-01-2003, 04:03 AM
aniously awaiting to see how the week goes for you...

bets of luck! :!: :werenotworthy:

vybe23
04-01-2003, 04:43 AM
somone try it on a t mobile pocket pc!!! (if i didnt buy mine off ebay, id try it myself;)

lgingell
04-01-2003, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I wonder whether the GPRS always on options is in the CE ROM image, and not the radio image - I suspect its in the CE ROM image....hmmmm maybe there's hope for us T-Mobile users....

BarnOwl
04-01-2003, 09:01 AM
I really don't get it anymore, IR started with an update early this year, then followed The Netherlands (Which I use) with rom version 3.15.15 (date: 12/11/02 and protocol version 32S54) - Radio 4.16 and now UK comes with an "all new" upgrade with lower version numbers????

The release notes don't show anything new, so what's the deal? :?: :roll:

jayman
04-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Well being a long time fan of CO2 and this being released on:

April Fools Day - fitting for the company.

I expect this upgrade will turn my xda into a useless piece of ****e just like the company!

Erick Bryce
04-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I wonder whether the GPRS always on options is in the CE ROM image, and not the radio image - I suspect its in the CE ROM image....hmmmm maybe there's hope for us T-Mobile users....

OK I thought about this when I found a separate download on the German t-mobile site for a fix that gave GPRS always on (to be clear GPRS suspend) functionality (they have since removed this app) someone should be able to pull the .dll & .exe's for this little app in this new ROM. In theory, it should work on all phone editions regardless of band. Someone out there is bound to be able to do this. I have had this function avail on my T-39 & IPAQ long before this device came out it's embarrassing to the phone edition team that they have now a year or so out been unable to resolve this problem. To me it seems like the biggest major oversight to miss, unless deliberately so. Look for Microsoft to try to sell you this feature in the future..Shame on you MS. (Ref: there was a post not too long ago announcing this soon to be paid feature in the new version of MSN Messenger Mobile avail through wireless service providers) I understand the fear of network resources, yet hundreds of people are using phones and have been using phones that can do this long before the phone editions debut (more than there would be Phone editions users) Anyway before this is dubbed a rant and moved :roll: :soapbox: if there are any smart people out there that can figure this out I'm sure there are LOTS!!! :multi: of people who are embarrassed that this amazing phone can’t even do one of the simplest and expected things and have desperately been waiting for this feature. :boohoo: Please contact me if you know how! I am in the US and have to carry me IPAQ & cell around during the work day then in the evenings I can switch to my T-mobile Phone edition when it doesn’t matter anymore...how embarrassing is that? :oops: :puppydogeyes: It makes my phone edition that I love seem so pathetic. :really mad: :bad-words: Someone PLEASE help! I have been waiting for like a year now... :jawdrop:

griph
04-01-2003, 01:31 PM
For the sake of comparison, here are the details from the Irish version:

ROM version: 3.14.13
Radio version: 4.14

The O2 UK upgrade:
ROM version: 3.14.13 ENG
Radio version: 4.16

griph
04-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Well being a long time fan of CO2 and this being released on:

April Fools Day - fitting for the company.

I expect this upgrade will turn my xda into a useless piece of ****e just like the company!

Nah! It was released on the 31st MArch - so O2 kept to their promise (just) that they would release the Upgrade in March. Its now after midday on the 1st April so April Foill no longer counts (in the UK ;-)) - my XDA seems fine so far. BTW Email automatically disconnects GPRS on completing (so does @Mail) - but if you use WAP/Web then the GPRS Connection stays up, even if you then start Mail and connect. It doesn't seem to be completely clear - I need to do more time on it!

uhoo
04-01-2003, 04:52 PM
I've had the firmware upgrade on my xda since early this year, the Asian version got it in January, I think, and I've had no problems so far. The SIM enhancement is really useful, less so the GPRS always on 'feature'. I tried leaving GPRS on and my fully-charged battery was flat in about 3 hours, even in power-save mode. Try this site for the latest updates
http://www.myxda.com

anthonymoody
04-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Battery issues aside, as a US TMo user I'd be very interested in this as well. I'd try it except that I have a PPCTechs upgrade and wouldn't want to pay to have that done (again) if this turns my unit into a doorstop...

TM

griph
04-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I've had the firmware upgrade on my xda since early this year, the Asian version got it in January, I think, and I've had no problems so far. The SIM enhancement is really useful, less so the GPRS always on 'feature'. I tried leaving GPRS on and my fully-charged battery was flat in about 3 hours, even in power-save mode. Try this site for the latest updates
http://www.myxda.com

I agree - the battery life seems to be shortened somewhat! BTW - is the Asian version in English? I dont want to take it for granted. If it is - which english (British/US/International)? I note the Asian version is using the same 4.16 Radio stack, but a 3.14.17 ROM - the latter being needed to run Truefax - something I would find VERY useful for work - I have tried Truefax on the 3.14.13 ROM but it doesn't work! :-(. Is there likely to be a problem loading the Asian ROM version onto a O2UK XDA? I've noted already someone has a UK XDA with the Irish Rom upgrade so theoretically it would seem possible. I don't want to mess up the unit - but I am very interested in being able to fax. Help/advice would be very much appreciated.

onepieceman
04-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I seem to have survived the upgrade with no problems, but is there any information about what this upgrade is supposed to do? For example, I have a new app called "CSD Line Type", which allows me to set Analogue mode or ISDN mode. When would this be useful?