View Full Version : Wish list for AXIM X7

maximus
03-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Folks,

What do you want in the upcoming AXIM X7?

3.8" screen (or 4"), bigger battery density, thinner form factor, 64 megs of RAM, 64 megs of NAND flash memory, GPRS card inside ?

Bluetooth, 802.11b ?

Fingerprint scanner ?

PetiteFlower
03-31-2003, 04:00 PM
And whatever gave you the idea that this device was "upcoming"? Has anyone heard anything from Dell on the matter?

I thought not.

The Axim has been on the market for less then 6 months. Enjoy what you have for god's sake, the Axim is the closest thing to a perfect PPC out there(combining features, expandability, and price), what is the point of conjecture on a device that doesn't even exist at this point?

maximus
04-01-2003, 11:44 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107043,00.asp

Axim X7 and X3.

PetiteFlower
04-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Early 2003 is over, that article is from november and we still haven't heard word one about it.

Besides from that the only difference will be built in wireless.

spinedoc
04-02-2003, 12:26 AM
How about SDIO?? Would be a nice addition.

Jhokur2k
04-02-2003, 12:33 AM
I was bored today, posted this in the April fools thread...

Something like this. (http://jhokur.com/images/x7.jpg)

Covert
04-02-2003, 03:50 AM
While there hasn't been any official word from Dell on the matter, Dell representatives have mentioned the X3 and X7 in the past, and I do believe they will become a reality, if not until late this summer. Dell's probably waiting for Pocket PC 2003 to be released.

I'd go for SD I/O, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, smaller form-factor (with same size battery), USB host, and metal casing.

PapaSmurfDan
04-04-2003, 10:46 PM
What I want to see on all PPCs:
A Headset jack!!! Am I the only person who can see how a voice recognition package with a headset could yelid kickass results (btw, PPC's have enough power to them to do this, you don't need a 1.8ghz monster. We were doing this back on p60's a long time ago)

For the X7 keep the X5 body size but with:
Built in WiFi and Bluetooth, SDIO, Ambient Light Sensor, Better Jog tab placement, Better D-Pad, and a bigger screen, if it doesn't add to the cost.
I would love to see it have 128mb of ram and 64mb of nor rom.

My Wishlist for an X3:
Dual SD (with one being SDIO) and no CF, Approch the size of the 1910, 48mb of NOR rom and 64mb of ram.

And my addition to the lineup is: Dell should make an X3W. Somehow build in the wifi into a small ppc device. Maybe I could justify 500 bucks for an embedded WiFi device if it was the size of an 1910.

-Dan

hk_traveller
06-10-2003, 04:30 AM
Folks,

What do you want in the upcoming AXIM X7?

3.8" screen (or 4"), bigger battery density, thinner form factor, 64 megs of RAM, 64 megs of NAND flash memory, GPRS card inside ?

Bluetooth, 802.11b ?

Fingerprint scanner ?
My wish list:

1. 3.8" transflective screen
2. USB host capability to connect to other USB device e.g. external harddisk, keyboard, mouse, ...
3. built-in 802.11b support
4. more RAM e.g. 128M
5. retain the same price as old model!!

Crystal Eitle
06-10-2003, 05:59 AM
The Axim X7 is rumored to have both WiFi and Bluetooth built-in.

I believe they will come out. I want them to come out!

maximus
06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
I dont know about bluetooth, but wifi is definitely a big plus in X7.

As for the idea of X3 with dual SD and no CF, what is the advantage of this setup against the currently popular SD and CF setup ? I have two digital cameras, one of them uses SD, and the other uses CF. Axim is a device that bridges these two memory cards. I am sure that most of us have both CF and SD cards.

Currently, CF slot is a must on PPCs. Look at all those accessories that can be plugged into the CF slot (GPS, GPRS, 5GB 1.8" Harddrive, etc.).

When I was thinking about purchasing a PPC, my final candidates are Axim and 5450. That was a very easy decision. I really need a device with integrated CF slot, and I dont really need wifi or bluetooth. Hence the axim.

Now I am thinking of purchasing a PPC for my girlfriend. The choice is almost the same .. an X3 or 2200. Between these two, I will buy the model with integrated CF and better battery lifetime. I am kinda skewed on Dell's product though.

spursdude
06-10-2003, 09:05 PM
As for the idea of X3 with dual SD and no CF, what is the advantage of this setup against the currently popular SD and CF setup ? I have two digital cameras, one of them uses SD, and the other uses CF. Axim is a device that bridges these two memory cards. I am sure that most of us have both CF and SD cards.
SD is smaller, thus a dual SD device will probably be smaller than a CF/SD device. Also, SD accessories are supposedly coming out (SD WiFi, etc...), and after there are enough SD accessories, CF won't be as necessary.

SlimDady
06-10-2003, 11:25 PM
WEll id like to see no suck ass d-pad

built in 802.11b and wifi(though wifi is not as important to me)
smaller, all dimennsions. Ithouggh shrinking screen
more ram
maybe a better built in speaker.

I myself only use cf port so I wouldent need a sd.. but its handy to have

hk_traveller
06-11-2003, 12:23 AM
The Axim X7 is rumored to have both WiFi and Bluetooth built-in.

I believe they will come out. I want them to come out!

It would be fine to have a X7 with all features bundled. However I wish the price can be retained below US$300.

maximus
06-11-2003, 02:47 AM
SD is smaller, thus a dual SD device will probably be smaller than a CF/SD device. Also, SD accessories are supposedly coming out (SD WiFi, etc...), and after there are enough SD accessories, CF won't be as necessary.

Ah, I see your point. And it will be nice if both SD slots are located on the top section of the PPC, hence the sides of the PPC will be clear from obstruction. That will be the day to wish for an SD to PCMCIA adapter. :D

dh
06-13-2003, 07:21 PM
I would be happy if the X7 was identical to the X5 with the addition of:
Blue Tooth
802.11b
More RAM (128MB)
PPC 2003 (obviously)

David Prahl
06-14-2003, 02:28 AM
Although we all LIKE the best of the best for the cheapest, here's what I'm guessing we'll actually get:

-Internal 802.11b (with exposed antenna)
-Bluetooth
-NEW D-PAD! :) (Dell has hearn all our gripes, I think!)
-new ROM and OS
-still 64 MB RAM, 48 ROM
-transflexive screen (the reflective screen is okay, but...)

Dell is a quiet company (unlike HP :lol: !), but we did hear about the X5/X3 a few weeks before they came out. We had a few photos, too. Most likely it'll come out two or three weeks after the PPC '03 launch. I'm guessing July 8 or 9.

EvilOne
06-14-2003, 03:38 AM
If they came out with the same form factor, increased the memory to 128MB and just added bluetooth, I would by that in a heart-beat. That is exaclty what I am looking for.

maximus
06-14-2003, 09:20 AM
still 64 MB RAM, 48 ROM

I think the X7 will come with 128 MB. Dell will never let their flagship to have less memory than the ipaq.