View Full Version : Empty Your TEMP Folder On Each Soft Reset

Ed Hansberry
04-04-2003, 08:00 AM
<a href="http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html">http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html</a><br /><br />If you have never manually deleted all of the files in your \TEMP folder on your Pocket PC, you probably have quite a mess in there. Applications are supposed to clean up after themselves but all to often they leave temporary files laying around. Once you soft reset, you can safely delete them without worrying about losing any data, or you can install ClearTemp. It is a great little 4K free utility that you can drop in your \Windows\Start Up folder. Everytime your Pocket PC is soft reset, ClearTemp will erase whatever is in the \TEMP folder.<br /><br />While you are there, check out the other apps Scott has. Pocket Nav, Keep Alive, Launcher. I've used them all and still have some of them on my Pocket PC. If you like what you've downloaded, PayPal him a few dollars for his efforts.

sponge
04-04-2003, 12:44 PM
One problem with the program: no way to exlude files. Pocket Notepad uses a temp file to store whatever was in the file when you closed it.

I use the launcher applet, can't live without it. Once I turn old enough, I have to donate to these projects :P

ramonD
04-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try cleartemp. Two months ago I realized my temp folder had tens of thousands of files in it! Took me several hours to delete everything and regain several Mbs. 8O

Ed Hansberry
04-04-2003, 01:46 PM
One problem with the program: no way to exlude files. Pocket Notepad uses a temp file to store whatever was in the file when you closed it.
You should contact the author of Pocket Notepad. Apps should never use the TEMP folder once the app is closed, much less after a soft reset.

Pony99CA
04-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try cleartemp. Two months ago I realized my temp folder had tens of thousands of files in it! Took me several hours to delete everything and regain several Mbs. 8O
Just use Explore in ActiveSync, navigate to the Temp directory, select all of the files and delete them.

Steve

Ed Hansberry
04-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Just use Explore in ActiveSync, navigate to the Temp directory, select all of the files and delete them.
Or install ClearTemp and soft reset.

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
While we know there are alternative products available out there, please refrain from posting about them here. Feel free to start another discussion about them in the "Software" forum...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

crispeto
04-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Is there a program to delete "temporary internet files" from the windows directory? I would love that.

Jonathon Watkins
04-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Steve - I personally find it very useful to hear about alternatives in these sorts of discussions. I believe that it is very much on topic and is beneficial. I would probably not read about it otherwise.

Isn’t it fair enough to talk about other ways of doing things? After all, 'On topic' can be taken too far. :?:

Steven Cedrone
04-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Steve - I personally find it very useful to hear about alternatives in these sorts of discussions. I believe that it is very much on topic and is beneficial. I would probably not read about it otherwise.

Isn’t it fair enough to talk about other ways of doing things? After all, 'On topic' can be taken too far. :?:

Look at it this way: if you wrote an app (or more to the point, slaved over an app), would you want people to post about alternative apps in your front page thread on any web site (not just 'Thoughts)???

Just think about it...

Steve

JF in Detroit
04-05-2003, 04:24 AM
I also like to read about the other applications. It is very much on topic. And the author's program received top billing, so I don't see any harm in passing on good information to those of us who visit Pocket PC Thoughts.

Steven Cedrone
04-05-2003, 04:49 AM
I also like to read about the other applications. It is very much on topic. And the author's program received top billing, so I don't see any harm in passing on good information to those of us who visit Pocket PC Thoughts.

Jeff,

Since I posted at 19:00 est and you answered at approximately 22:20 est you must have read my post. I put it to you: are you a developer? Would you like a post/thread about your application sidetracked by posts about competing products???

Steve

Pony99CA
04-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Since I posted at 19:00 est and you answered at approximately 22:20 est you must have read my post. I put it to you: are you a developer? Would you like a post/thread about your application sidetracked by posts about competing products???
I'm confused here, Steve. I normally agree with your moderating decisions, but I'm surprised about this one.

Was this a sponsored post? I thought it was more of a tip about keeping your TEMP folder clear, with a recommendation of a program that would do that for you. Only after reading your post did I notice it was in the SOFTWARE area.

The rules for SOFTWARE are:

Software that runs on your Pocket PC, or desktop PC software that helps you get more out of your Pocket PC. Our reviews will also live here.

It doesn't say that discussion of alternatives is forbidden, be they competing programs (which nobody had posted about that I saw of) or other techniques (like I posted about). In fact, I've often seen discussions of other programs in this area. For example, in the post about Pocket Streets 2003 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4367), Mapopolis was discussed, and nobody said that was a bad thing.

If this is a new rule, that's fine and I'll deal with it. However, the rules I quoted above should be updated to reflect the "no competing dicussion" rule.

As for how the developer would feel, if this wasn't a sponsored post, who cares? The developer has already gotten free publicity on one of the top Pocket PC sites. What more could he want? If his free program can't withstand discussion of alternatives, I would have to wonder why.

Steve

Pony99CA
04-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Is there a program to delete "temporary internet files" from the windows directory? I would love that.
Yes, it's called Pocket Internet Explorer. :-) Here's how to do it:

Tap Tools.
Tap Options.
On the General tab, tap the Delete Files button.

If you want something that does it automatically on a soft reset, I don't know of any.

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
04-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Would you like a post/thread about your application sidetracked by posts about competing products???

But Steve, this site is for Our (the readers) benefit. The original item posted by Ed was not an advert, was it Ed?

Even if it was an advert, there is surely nothing wrong in discussing various ways to keep the TEMP folder clear. After all, the title of the thread is "Empty Your TEMP Folder On Each Soft Reset". Discussing other applications that do the same thing is not a sidetrack. :!:

This cuts both ways. If a post about a similar application from different developer gets posted tomorrow, then we could well post in that thread about this application.

I value Pocket PC Thoughts because it lets me know what software is out there and lets me know of different ways of doing things. 8) I would be very unhappy if the posting policy were to be changed to be unnecessarily restrictive. :?

I honestly can’t see what is wrong with discussing other applications while staying on topic. Could you please explain further? :?:

PJE
04-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi,

&lt;please don't flame me!>

I have a program called Remover (http://s-k.al.ru) on my Axim that has the option to clear temporary internet files amongst other things...

Edit: It can also clear temp files on startup... I'm not sure if it will exit after doing so, but there's a lot of options for tidying your PocketPC.

&lt;/please don't flame me!>

PJE

Steven Cedrone
04-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Snip, snip, snippity, snip...

If his free program can't withstand discussion of alternatives, I would have to wonder why.

I guess I came accross a little strong. Apologies to all... :oops:

I really don't want to squash discussions about apps. If you post: "I have used both this and XXX, and XXX has these features which this app does not have". I don't have a problem with that. But when you post: "Use XXX", - and that's all you say, well I do have a problem with those types of posts (you are really not discussing anything)...

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
04-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Fair point Steve. I'm sure we will make sure to adhere to that. Cheers. :)

Steven Cedrone
04-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi,

&lt;please don't flame me!>

I have a program called Remover (http://s-k.al.ru) on my Axim that has the option to clear temporary internet files amongst other things...

Edit: It can also clear temp files on startup... I'm not sure if it will exit after doing so, but there's a lot of options for tidying your PocketPC.

&lt;/please don't flame me!>

PJE

I actually use both Remover and ClearTemp. I feel they compliment eachother, not compete. I have ClearTemp running on startup, and I use Remover about once a week to "clean things up" (mostly the other things that ClearTemp does not touch)...

Steve

pschultz
04-06-2003, 04:32 AM
I use ClearTemp right now, but what features does Remover have that ClearTemp doesn't? Also, is there an english website where I could get this?

ctmagnus
04-06-2003, 05:55 AM
I use ClearTemp right now, but what features does Remover have that ClearTemp doesn't? Also, is there an english website where I could get this?

ClearTemp only does the \Temp folder; Remover has the ability to clean out many other folders as well. It's available here (http://www.geocities.com/s_k_s_k_s_kru/util.html#remover).

disconnected
04-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Sorry, not sure now if this is the place to mention another app or not, but I use CE ClEaner (5.95 on Handango). It runs at Startup, and has options to clean Temp Directory, clean Temporary Internet Files, Clean Internet Cookies, and Stop Running Programs.