03-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Check it out here:

http://www.gobookmax.com/

8)

Covert
03-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Wow, this certainly sounds impressive:
Ultra-Rugged Capabilities
When you think of rugged computer use, you think of the military, right? MIL-SPEC sets the bar for what qualifies as a rugged computer. But at Itronix, we don’t see the need to manufacture computers that just meet MIL-SPEC. Take the GoBook MAX. Sure we could meet the requirements of the military by producing a computer than can withstand 26 one-meter drops onto plywood over concrete. But the military says it’s OK to use 5 computers to pass the test. Our rugged-computing competitors can break 4 of their units and still pass the test. Itronix expects more than that. The GoBook MAX exceeds MIL-SPEC by surviving 54 repeated drops with ONE computer, on all sides, open and closed, even with the computer ON. We don’t have to make the GoBook MAX take that kind of punishment, but we can. Because they will.
I imagine it's extremely expensive, however.

Janak Parekh
03-30-2003, 05:01 PM
... and heavy. Definitely a niche product.

--janak

Sheynk
03-30-2003, 07:17 PM
can u say brick? :lol:

I bet thats what they are using in Iraq

bobkatt
03-30-2003, 08:10 PM
I bet they are not using this in Iraq. . .

Most item's used by the military are not for general consumer use.
Security and other issues involved.

Bob

Sheynk
03-30-2003, 11:00 PM
I bet they are not using this in Iraq. . .

Most item's used by the military are not for general consumer use.
Security and other issues involved.

Bob

i see .... oh well

Janak Parekh
03-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Actually, it is being used in Iraq.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2080546/

"Just as Desert Storm boosted the sales of Hummers and GPS handhelds, Gulf War II will spawn its own crossover hits, pieces of military equipment that become civilian fetish objects. A prediction: One of the war's big winners will be Itronix's GoBook MAX, a sort of Windows laptop on steroids. The GoBook MAX has already been spotted in video from the front, and Air Force firemen deployed in Turkey have them. If Gulf War II is the first Internet war, then a computer should be its first piece of military chic."

--janak

bobkatt
03-31-2003, 12:55 AM
From my experience what an average Joe buys from the manufacturer is not the same as what the military buys even though the manufacturer maybe the same like IBM or Dell as an example.

Just like a Hummer used in the Gulf is not the same as one sold in North America through a Hummer Dealer. Physically they may look the same but the specs will surely be different.

I guess we are splitting hairs but if you wanted to say a version of the GoBook Max is represented in the Gulf War then you're correct. :-)

Bob