View Full Version : Windows XP and PPC not playing nice

rberry88
03-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Ater various attempts to uncover the mystery of why my system had become rather unstable in the last 5 weeks I finally pulled the plug.
I bought a HP5455 PPC from CompUSA 5 weeks ago and haven't been happier, but with all good things there usually is some bad things lingering. I have a Gateway computer, 1.1 GHz AMD, 512 MB RAM, 2- 80 GB Seagate Harddrives, a CD-RW, DVD-RW, and a GeForce Ti 4400 video card. A setup I am completly happy with, until the instability started about 4 weeks ago. Over the past 4 weeks I have completely reformated both 80 GB hard drives and re-installed Windows XP three times, which was a monumental task in itself, but the instability issues keep coming back. I was on the phone with Gateway support more times than I was with my own mother trying to find the problem. The major problem I faced was that my computer began having troubles booting up, it would get to the initial splash screen and freeze, and it was only after 4-5 hard restarts that it would finally finish booting, now how fun is that?

Well, since my wife is on vacation with her parents for the week, I took it upon myself to once and for all rid myself of these problems. I started by formatting the HDD's, re-installing Windows XP and carefully installing other stuff one by one checking the stability of each. After 46 hours of getting my system to a rather well working environment, I plugged my PPC USB cable into my computer thinking my troubles were now behind me but alas, the ugly 'instability monster' shows its head again. Now, I was convinced I had isolated the problem to the connection of the PPC to my cpu. Once disconnected the problems disappeared, connected again and they come back. Hmmm, how do I enjoy both worlds, PPC and stable operating system??

My quest, I feel, is on the right path. However, until I can find out the actual 'issue' the two, XP & PPC, have with each other I will not be truly happy.

Sorry for the long post/rant but I had to get it out to save any of my other electronic devices from being hurt in the residual splatter.

rberry

JoeMoon
03-29-2003, 11:19 PM
RBerry,

I understand your woes... I have had a similar situation with my Ipaq and HP Laptop. Here are some workarounds that seemed to work for me... Although each suggestion may or may not bring some comfort, each one gets a bit more drastic.

First, I started to plug my USB cradle into the laptop after the machine booted. That worked for a short time...

Next, I rotated the USB ports - I noticed that one port seemed to create more trouble, more frequently then the other three...

Next, After syncing I immediately unplugged the cradle from the laptop to preserve an operational machine...

Next, I got disgusted with the temperment of the devices and decided to buy a new desktop machine and a new PPC all at once...

I hope you will not have to reach the extreme of purchasing new equipment to get relief, but it was a rash move to rid myself of the fear of the lockup!

Joe...

rberry88
04-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Boy this post got old fast, not that it was that exciting or anything. However, I finally found out what the problem with my system that was giving me problems. It had nothing to do with Windows XP or Activesync but merely a power problem. I had a 300W power supply and it was pushed to its limits and then some. I installed a new 450W power supply and everything hums along quite flawlessly now, well as flawless as Windows XP and Activesync can run anyway.

rberry88