View Full Version : PDA References In Science Fiction

Janak Parekh
03-29-2003, 03:44 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://educ.ahsl.arizona.edu/pda/sf.htm' target='_blank'>http://educ.ahsl.arizona.edu/pda/sf.htm</a><br /><br /></div>It's pretty darn cool that someone wrote this up. This little page references, amongst other things, SF references to handheld-like devices. The top of the list is, of course, Mr. Asimov in 1956 -- but I have to admit, I like the other references as well ("tickler", "joymaker", "wristcom", etc. ;))<br /><br />Based on this, I have two questions for you all.<li> What do you think SF writers should predict the future of PDAs should be -- 50 years from now?<br /><li> What would you call such devices? Come on, show your SF creativity! When we unveil the PPCT tome in 2053 (and when Jason and I are in our 70's 8O), I want to see correct answers! :D

Weyoun6
03-29-2003, 03:51 AM
Implants! Implants, Implants, Implants!

Crystal Eitle
03-29-2003, 03:59 AM
It's interesting you should bring this up, because ever since I've gotten my PPC I keep thinking of a novel by John Scalzi I recently read called Old Man's War (soon to be published by Tor Books - I highly recommend it).

The book deals with futuristic soldiers who get new bodies once they go out into space and join the Army. Along with their new bodies, they're issued Brain Pals, computers implanted into their heads with which they can do everything a computer can, plus read, watch movies, and communicate wirelessly with their comrades.

Sound familiar?

pro_worm
03-29-2003, 04:37 AM
First of all, since people want to be able to see their device - implants are too invasive and impractical :devilboy: - I would believe that everything will be in your watch. Nothing is more practical than that. Input will be through a perfected form of voice recognition (they better $#%*@ have at least that in the future). The watch itself will be roughly equivalent to a pocket pc in terms of functionality, with word editing, movies, etc. (I mean, what else would it do?) with probably a cell phone receiver built in.

Some magical advanced form of bluetooth will allow this device to "lock in" a nearby screen, such as a monitor or a even a thin little pad that would be like a very thin pocket pc. This way you could actually interact with the watch via a full resolution screen aka Windows. There you could write cab files, do your taxes, etc. When you are finished, the monitor goes blank and awaits another user; you take your watch with you. You could have these monitor terminals in your office, in your car, in the airport, bathroom, etc. Public "smart screens" would be run by quarters like a telephone booth. Plus, you could your VCR would have this bluetooth transmitter built-in - allowing you to go to your monitor and program the VCR using standard operating procedure :lol:

This, my friends, is the future 0X

Paragon
03-29-2003, 05:20 AM
I predict that in the year 2053 Pocket PC 2003 will finally be released, and Activesync will still be a piece of crap....and there will be a hole in the "Ozone" ;)

.....They will be holographic, and will be worn on your finger like a ring. When touched the holographic screen and keyboard will be displayed. Onboard memory will be very little since they will be connected to the ssww. solar system wide web

Dave

Jacob
03-29-2003, 05:28 AM
I think it'll be some kind of heads up display that would be integrated into eye glasses and wirelessly connect to content servers where all your data is stored. It would read your eye movement. Of course this would also be your mobile phone.

If you don't wear glasses then who knows, maybe a holographic display from your watch.

Steven Cedrone
03-29-2003, 05:42 AM
.....and will be worn on your finger like a ring.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cedrones/schwartz1.jpg

Yes!!! And it can also be used as a weapon, they could call it "The Schwartz"... :lol:

Steve

Duncan
03-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Not sure about the future - but how about the dim and distant past (some way before Asimov)?

In Mesopotamia, centuries before Christ, they had the earliest known PDAs! None survive (that we know of) but detailed pictures/drawings from the time exist, found in excavations carried out in the 1920s (ironically in what is modern day Bhagdad...). Clever little devices - they appeared to have been hand sized abacuses with a hinged 'lid' which doubled as a slate for writing on (and appears to have been able to fold right to the back) and a compartment of some kind for holding some form of chalk or charcoal stick. They seem to have been used by the then equivalent of accountants...

Just goes to show there really ARE no original ideas...

oom
03-29-2003, 06:13 AM
50 years ago in 1953, the Leo computer filled a room 40 x 40.
50 years later there allready is a watch with a Palm built in.
In 50 more years I can only hope they can do better than a watch, ring or sunglasses.
Maybe some kind of wet pda.
Organicpc :robot: tm

craig

szamot
03-29-2003, 06:32 AM
I don't know about 50 years but in 100 the human body and the PPC will be one - all we can hope for is that both soft and hard resets will not include jamming of a sharp object up some cavity. 8O

Weyoun6
03-29-2003, 07:13 AM
50 years ago in 1953, the Leo computer filled a room 40 x 40.
50 years later there allready is a watch with a Palm built in.
In 50 more years I can only hope they can do better than a watch, ring or sunglasses.
Maybe some kind of wet pda.
Organicpc :robot: tm

craig

True - however, it depends on the support and the movement forward. I.E. - 30 years ago we sent a man to the moon, today - we barely have a space program.

Pat Logsdon
03-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Believe it or not, I've actually thought about this for something I'm writing now. My prediction is that technology will advance to the point where we'll be able to fit an entire processing system (including storage and optical display projector) in something as thin as a piece of scotch tape. Either that, or the whole thing could be contained in a very small crystal (or crystals).

Stick either device against the skin (matte surface for tape, so it wouldn't be shiny), and it can draw power from the body's electrical field, so it won't need batteries. If the strip is long enough, projectors could be at either end to produce a 3d image in front of the eyes. If they're in crystal format, one could be placed at each temple to project a 3d image, and they could "parallell process" over the body's electrical field, using the skin as a circuit.

Input could probably be achieved via subvocal commands, or maybe even by small patches stuck to a finger or two that could transmit the movement of the finger(s) in space to the device (again, using the body's electrical field as a conduit).

My guess is that these would probably still be called "computers", or maybe just PANs to describe the whole get up. Or maybe the tape idea could be called "Cello-Comp"! 8)

Interesting topic! :D

TechMage
03-29-2003, 08:00 AM
In 50 years this is what I think a PDA will be.

It will be called a PAIA (Personal Artifical Intelligence Assistant)

It will have a 900THz Pentium 40 Processor (Yes Intel will still exist)

It will have 1,000,000TB of storage.

A full 512-bit 3D holographic display

For input you can plug it directly to the neuro implant in your head or you can use voice command.

It will have a universal translator in it that 100% acurately translates all humans languages to your native language instantly.

It will be connected to the world wide net (which will actually be the whole world and possibly colonies on the moon) and be able to transfer data at 500,000TB a second.

It will monitor your body's state of health in real time (blood preassure, neuro activity, heart rate, how many free radicals are in your blood stream, any traces of harmfull viri or bacteria, etc.)

And probably a whole bunch of other cool stuff. :)

DuaneAA
03-29-2003, 08:40 AM
According to Ray Kurzweil's book "The Age of Spiritual Machines", 25 years from now $1000 will buy a computer with the computational power equivalent of 1000 human brains ( 1,000 times 20 million billion = 2x10^19 calculations per second). Plus 3-D holographic projection technology will have reached point where the projected image of someone sitting across the room will be indistiguishable from the real person.

At that rate of increase, the PDA of 50 years from now is pretty much unimaginable.

Duane

Jaap van Ees
03-29-2003, 09:06 AM
Um... my guess is humans will become personal analog assistants to computers 8O. And when you're good, you might become their ARSE (analog reset support engineer). :mrgreen:

stitics
03-29-2003, 09:15 AM

Yes!!! And it can also be used as a weapon, they could call it "The Schwartz"... :lol:

Steve

Maybe I am slow....heck, probably I am slow,... but [trying to say this tactfully] is the positioning of the light sabers here significant? I mean to the original movie.

Pat Logsdon
03-29-2003, 09:38 AM

Steve

Maybe I am slow....heck, probably I am slow,... but [trying to say this tactfully] is the positioning of the light sabers here significant? I mean to the original movie.
Absolutely. I believe the exact quote, uttered seconds after that still is "I see your Schwartz is as big as mine!" :D

sfjlittel
03-29-2003, 11:14 AM
I think in the future humans become the bottleneck and not the device they are using, the device will use its spare cycles (or do we have quantum computing) to "think" out its own program, because thats how it's designed.

Now I'm thinking of it, isn't it rediculous that you have to carry something with you? So your "second brain" won't be a device at all, it will be an enhanced you. (either implants or genetic)

Jonathon Watkins
03-29-2003, 12:14 PM
SpaceBalls all the way baby! http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/space/sbimages.htm

I think the PDA-as-ring idea seems the most practical. I don't thing we will have developed brain input by then. A WWWW (WORD wide wireless web) seems a given.

What about the alien technology we will have by then? 0X :lol:

bjornkeizers
03-29-2003, 01:01 PM
I think in 50 years time, we'll have a device like a watch. It will have built in wireless, connecting it all the time, instantly, to other networks and presumably the next step beyond the internet as we know it. You could instantly connect to any device; make calls, do work, play, relax, etc. Every device would be interconnected; Order groceries from your car computer. Start your car from your toaster, write an email from the smallest room in the house.. and all this at the speed of light and totally free to use for all.

This device would most likely incorporate a holographic 3d display creating a bubble in front of or around the user; your very own virtual worksphere. I like the idea of monitors in public areas. You could probably use these to connect to services maybe outside of your area, or handle more secure communications or transactions.

And the best thing is, a lot of us will actually be around to see this happen or better yet: have the opportunity to make this happen ourselves. *knock on wood*

bjornkeizers
03-29-2003, 01:21 PM
OMFG! Look at this! We might get there a lot sooner then we thought! 8O

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3338.html

"Dubbed a 'watch phone', the dual-band GSM 900/1800 MHz device will offer one and a half hours of continuous talk time and 80 hours of stand-by time at the flick of a wrist. The handset also supports voice activated dialling and includes a built-in phone book and 40 different polyphonic ring tones, and weighs in at under 80 grams.

Measuring a minute 37.8 x 64 x 17.7 mm, the watch phone also offers support for GPRS Class 10, which should provide users with more than comfortable speed when using its WAP 1.2 browser and e-mail client. In addition, the watch phone also supports SMS and MMS, as well as Bluetooth and speakerphone capabilities. Whether the Bluetooth support also includes a DUN Profile is unknown, but it would be fair to assume that if it did, the watch phone would quickly become a hot item amongst owners of Bluetooth-enabled PDAs seeking GSM/GPRS connectivity.

Users will interface with the watch phone through its 8-bit (256 colours) OLED display, sporting a resolution of 96 x 64 pixels which can be personalized by means of wallpapers. Also, as befits a watch phone, the display shows the time when the user is not engaged in other activities. "

hamishmacdonald
03-29-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm a writer, and in my last book, I used something called a "hotbox". It was basically a stand in do-all machine that I didn't explain, other than to say that its main interface looked like an old-fashioned television. I made the mistake in my first book of having computer stuff going on, and discovered that it's really hard to make someone using a computer in a book an interesting thing. (I was surprised on reading William Gibson's Necromancer years ago that the characters actually spent very little time in cyberspace.)

Whatever the thing is, people are going to have to interact with it. So shrinking the interface reaches a point where it's counter-productive. And your average person is not going to use something like that; they're going to want it to feel easy to get at, simple, and familiar. (I've been using a PDA for about 5 years, and the number of my friends who have them has doubled... to two.) So this hotbox's main use in the story was as something vaguely mentioned that provided a live broadcast along with extra layers of searchable information (a broadcaster's nightmare! Imagine if CNN had to provide everything2.com-type node references!).

I like what I've heard described as "hard" science fiction, where the technology is there, hinted at or referred to, but only used as backdrop to developing character or plot. I think that's the strength of the original Star Wars movies, that focus on story over gee-gaws.

And notice what a hit everything takes when you make some stupid mistake like trying to explain The Force with "midicholorians" and all that rubbish. It's The Force! We just know what that is. Likewise, a device in a story should be just that: a device. A plot device, a way of getting something done. Poor Dune (the movie) got such a beating because it was too serious about the things it presented, and expected a general audience to take it all at face value. Instead, it made them laugh. And it's this kind of mistake that makes so many people (especially in publishing) think of science fiction as something lesser. But that's a shame, because sci-fi/SF/speculative fiction is such a great opportunity to access the imagination with that great question "What if?"

Hamish MacDonald

&lt;shameless plug>
If anyone's interested, you can download my first book from my website for free.
&lt;/shameless plug>

dh
03-29-2003, 02:54 PM
SpaceBalls all the way baby!

Hmmm, I have to get over to Blockbuster to see if they have SpaceBalls on DVD.

DuaneAA
03-29-2003, 04:48 PM
This month's 'Wired' magazine has an interesting article on wrist watches primarily about some upcoming PDA-wrist watch combinations coming from Fossil. According to the article, for wrist devices to sell the form factor must be smaller than 50mm x 40mm x 15mm = 30,000 mm^3. This Samsung watch-phone at 64mm x 37.4mm x 17.7mm = 42,367mm^3.

I would hold off for the 2nd generation watch-phone.

Duane

ironguy
03-29-2003, 05:02 PM
You've all missed what has happened.

PDAs continued to get smarter. At some point, we're not sure when it was, biologic computing became viable. The DNA inside your own body became the processor and memory for vast computing power. Specialized food could be purchased to add programming and knowledge. (Gives new meaning to 'brain food'). A series of small biorganic supercomputers located around the world provided necessary wireless linking for all people except those not deemed worthy by the supercomputers. The unworthy were those of us who chose to keep our HP Jornadas; my 568 is still going strong, even after 50 years. The supercomputers were the gates into the world of the linked. A small sacrifice was required to become 'netted'. It was a small fee of organic material, merely a few square cms of skin to allow you access into the bioNET. You received a bill for your skin, a 'gates bill' that became your NET credential. The phrase still haunts me...

I remember when the rebellion started. It didn't last long as the supercomputers had control over most of the input and output of our bodies. We became slaves, at least those that were biorganic. There was no escape for the netted as the 'gates bills' required them to maintain contact just to live, to receive the 'brain food'. Sometimes the 'brain food' was forced upon those who were collared - you simply had no choice.

The rest of us, that small group of loyal HP owners fight from dim storm cellars and old .com buildings, desperately seeing old compact flash interfaces so we may hack into the NET.

There were tales told of a PDA, slim, benificent, beautiful, and fast - willing to travel with you and serve at all times. We are still waiting for the one...

Jonathon Watkins
03-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Ironguy, you forgot the part about the organic material being shaped as '666'. :twisted:

Dragon779
03-29-2003, 06:24 PM
I agree with a lot of the other posts- that the future will include organic PDA type devices, and they will be implanted in our bodies. I feel that someday we will be like a "Ghost in the Shell" future; i.e. one where cybernetic bodies will exist for us to inhabit. I, for one, would be the first to sign up for such a thing. Ne ver have to eat, never wear out, just need tune ups. :D

After all, think about it. Our generation is so in touch with electronics, what will become outdated on? When we are grandparents, what will our grandchildren be showing us how to do? Surely not computers? Instead, they will be showing us the new cool "biocomps" that are built into our very skin, using nano technology, injected into our bodies like a medicine.

Who knows, it could happen!

malcolmsharp
03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Can't remember where, but I remember one being called an 'all thing' before... humm...

Near future... I want a local network with the handheld being the brains. It can send alarms and info to my watch while it's in my pocket, and can control/use the phone (assuming it isn't a phone itself). It can also talk to my laptop, even with the laptop stowed away.

Picture it... you get a beep from your watch, and it's an e-mail from Mom, or an instant message... or even an actual alarm! It could also beep your watch for phone calls and include caller id... and let you get your phone and answer it, or hang up.

Maybe even control your MP3 playback on your handheld from your watch... next track, pause, volume. That would be sweet... ummmm

And, of course, at home or anywhere you have a live connection to the net, you could access any info from your home system, or even control it.

This is possible now, just not practical. Bluetooth, or whatever, will have to be a standard big time, with totally open connections. :twisted:

DrtyBlvd
03-29-2003, 09:24 PM
"A.R.S.E" ... I like that one :lol:

I don't think that watches, or rings, will happen.

I'd be surprised if a 'unit' is the way it will go to be honest - I don't think it is about the 'P' in pda, but more of the 'N' in LAN/WAN/PAN...

Certainly some interface will be required, which makes it more of a screen issue, and with the current development of the flexible screens, a la paper, I imagine that we will carry a pen with a rolled up screen in it; it might have the ability to transfer to internal memory and then sync with the 'network' or alternatively separate from the 'screen' and be used as an input device on the wafer thin TFT sort of thing.

The 'pen' (Cylindrical shaped object) would also link to local networks enabling all current uses and more, and the www will be the grandfather of the worlds network subsequently created for everyone who pays to access it wherever they might be by wireless protocols.

Memory wouldn't be an issue, speed would; applications would be housed on 'servers' and used as needed... even on a 'pay per use' basis...

The 'screen' could be embedded in fabric - a dynamic resizing using the fibres of the garment; sleeves, briefcases - if they were still required - might even make use of conducting surfaces, say, the table upon which you place it - glass?

50 years isn't a long time really - but the development potential therein is enormous - look what has been done since the end of the second world war for example.

It'll be interesting, for sure :lol: Lets all meet up Jan 1st 2053 and discuss in person. A PPCT conference - somewhere sunny so we can test screen visibility :wink:

ghostppc
03-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Ironguy, you forgot the part about the organic material being shaped as '666'. :twisted:

I couldn't agree more. I love the technology today and things getting shrunken smaller and smaller. And I don't think I could part with my pda for much. But when they get to the point where I have to have a surgically implanted chip to do the same functions, I'll just be going the way of the dinasour and let the next gen kids have it. :wink: Hopefully before then, they'll come out with the true Pocket PCs which are full version of desktops like the OQO computer (whenever they decide to release it to the public) and they'll be calling our prehistoric pda's C.R.A.P :)

Don't Panic!
03-31-2003, 03:44 PM
For 2053-PDA the size of a credit card with phone and internet built in-This isn't a new prediction it's from a series of stories I can't remember the title or author of from the 70's early 80's. Everyone had to have one as it also replaced cash for tranactions and ID cards. I think it was called a Universal Credit Card. Anyone know which stories I'm refering to?

Don't Panic!
Bobby

ironguy
03-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Did you see this?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8605

Protein memory to create 1,000 fold increase in storage

and

DNA, Human Memory, and the Storage Technology of the 21st Century (http://www.optics.arizona.edu/ODSCsponsors/02-01-31Semi-AnnualReport/D%20-%20Mansuripur%20Appendix%20A.pdf)

It has started... 8O

Jonathon Watkins
03-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Yup - we saw it here two days ago: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=98042

:D

Terry
04-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Next Generation OLED contact lenses (will also correct vision so people will put up with them), aureal implants (will also play streaming audio so people will get them)...