View Full Version : Can I move the Start Button to the bottom?

PromoGuy
03-28-2003, 11:27 PM
I would love it if the PPC 2002 interface was more like Windows.

The "start" button at the top throws me off. I am just used to it being at the bottom.

Same with Pocket IE. I think the Back and Forward buttons should be on the Top of the screen.

It all seems backwards to me.

Are there any apps or tweaks that flip these things around?

mv
03-28-2003, 11:47 PM
No. Win Ce 2.11 was like that.

etalianstallion
03-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Don't think that this can be done. You could always hold your PPC upside down. :lol:

So basically, no, I don't have any smart ideas to contribute here. :bangin:

Janak Parekh
03-29-2003, 03:22 AM
The "start" button at the top throws me off. I am just used to it being at the bottom.
I did too when I began using Pocket PCs, but I got used to it. Just give it some time... until your fingers know automatically where to go. :)

They rearranged this in Pocket PC to maximize the screen space efficiency. Try using one of the old WinCE 2.x devices, and you'll know what I mean. :)

--janak

yunez
03-29-2003, 04:35 AM
They rearranged this in Pocket PC to maximize the screen space efficiency. Try using one of the old WinCE 2.x devices, and you'll know what I mean. :)

--janak
yeah, youll notice the start bar doubles as the title bar. Imagine if your title bar was on the bottom, and you had to click the lower-right to close a prog

ipaq38vette
03-29-2003, 06:47 AM
Actually, I've run apps that were written for CE 2.11 on PPC2002(Frequency Tiner 1.5a, Pocket Artist 1.14) When in the program the menu and start bars are flipped.

ctmagnus
03-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Actually, I've run apps that were written for CE 2.11 on PPC2002(Frequency Tiner 1.5a, Pocket Artist 1.14) When in the program the menu and start bars are flipped.

Yeah, but then you get the SIP selector occupying 1/3 of the title bar.

Pony99CA
03-29-2003, 09:11 AM
I did too when I began using Pocket PCs, but I got used to it. Just give it some time... until your fingers know automatically where to go. :)

For the most part, that's true. However, in Windows Media Player, I'm still clicking the Start menu to get the playlist menu. :-(

You should be more specific about which Windows CE 2.x device; I suspect you mean Palm-Sized PCs. I think the typical Windows metaphor worked very well on my Sharp Mobilon Handheld PC, with its 640x240 resolution. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
03-29-2003, 04:57 PM
You should be more specific about which Windows CE 2.x device; I suspect you mean Palm-Sized PCs.
Yes, true, that's exactly what I meant. This is validated by the fact that CE .NET for HPC-sized devices still have the Start Bar on the bottom.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
03-29-2003, 09:04 PM
The idea was that the menu, an item that was specific to a program, might be better off at the bottom so that your hand doesn't obscure the stuff you are working with. That puts the task bar at the top.

Interestingly I have been playing with locations for the Start bar on my Tablet PC, (since you can stick it where you want). When holding the tablet, like a tablet, portrait, sitting in a lounger, I find the Start Bar along the top, like a PPC, more convenient. I haven't played with the individual apps to see if the menu bars on the bottom makes sense. Guess I should.

LorryDriver71
03-29-2003, 11:16 PM

Put the start bar on your desktop pc at the top then and you'll be used to it like that. :rock on dude!:

Pony99CA
03-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Meanwhile, back at the original question :-) there's JGUI's XPPC (http://www.jgui.net/XPPC).

Steve

Janak Parekh
03-30-2003, 02:19 AM
Yes, but that only seems to be a Today screen replacement.

--janak

ctmagnus
03-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Yes, but that only seems to be a Today screen replacement.

--janak

That occured to me literally 30 seconds before I clicked onto your post. 0X