View Full Version : Looking for Videos? Check out PPCVIDZ

Jason Dunn
03-27-2003, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcvidz.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcvidz.com/</a><br /><br /></div>"Providing access to entertainment for PDAs with Microsoft's Pocket PC Operating System. New content being added every day, so don't forget to check back frequently for the latest weather, news, &amp; entertainment for today's on-the-go or simply just bored traveler, student, employee, etc."<br /><br />This is a pretty cool little site, although I think you'd need to be connected over WiFi to get any content streamed. Worth a bookmark! Right now I'm <a href="mms://217.107.212.225/Channel_One_Russia">polishing up my Russian.</a> Oh, wait, I don't speak any Russian...that's why it doesn't make any sense! :lol:

bdegroodt
03-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like every video site for the PPC uses only a fraction of the screen size? Since the PPC screen size is standardized, it would seem like there would be better use of the screen. I can barely see these videos (Same with most other video feeds.). I think it's a great idea, but if I can't see it without getting a headache, what's the point?

I've never loaded a DIVX movie onto a card, but are those as small as these feeds as well?

Sheynk
03-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Im ruski I get it all... ha ha ha you americans...err canadians

anyway...you can view em....but cant download them

Maybe I'll get a toshiba and view it from the resource center in my school which has two airports (i think)

Macguy59
03-27-2003, 02:32 AM
Is it just me or does it seem like every video site for the PPC uses only a fraction of the screen size? Since the PPC screen size is standardized, it would seem like there would be better use of the screen. I can barely see these videos (Same with most other video feeds.). I think it's a great idea, but if I can't see it without getting a headache, what's the point?

I've never loaded a DIVX movie onto a card, but are those as small as these feeds as well?

It's done that way to keep file sizes down.

EyePAQ
03-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Maybe I'll get a toshiba and view it from the resource center in my school which has two airports (i think)

Man you must go to a BIG school. All we had was parking lots. :wink:

Sheynk
03-27-2003, 04:11 AM

Man you must go to a BIG school. All we had was parking lots. :wink:

Yeah...Adlai E. Stevenson Highschool Lincolshire IL. we have 4300 students and we are one of only 3 schools in US to recieve 4 blue ribbon awards etc. etc. we are very tech savvy...if only those mac os 9 servers ever worked properly!!!

http://www.district125.k12.il.us/

Sheynk
03-27-2003, 04:15 AM
PS: we are also:

2nd swimming in state (we'll be 1st next year!)
1st gymnastics
5th in tennis I think

and I wont even go into the other ones ( i just dont remember)

we even have girls bowling, golf, and badminton teams...and all those clubs... did I mention TV morning anouncment.. ok ok I'll stop bragging about my school now.... Im a lazy a$$ anyway

ipaq38vette
03-27-2003, 05:15 AM
Not wanting to take this thread off topic, but Sheynk, wouldn't you go to BG high school, since you live in Buffalo Grove

Sheynk
03-27-2003, 05:24 AM
Nope

Depending on which side you live on.

Gerard
03-27-2003, 07:54 AM
... need to be connected over WiFi to get any content streamed.

Well, not exactly. I just watched a bunch of the 56K and lower videos and streaming news channels, and a couple of the webcams, and there was the odd few seconds of buffering but no big deal. That's using a CF modem to connect to a dialup ISP (Quik Internet here in Vancouver). All the C-SPAN stations work, and are almost fullscreen and fairly clear. Romanian television is weird, and so's Italian, but Luxembourg is the strangest. Some of the comedic short films actually made be laugh, but digging through this rather difficult listing style was a pain. Pretty much have to try everything alphabetically to see anything good.
I have saved a few of the links to live channels. Could be interesting in the days to come, especially a couple of those with 24 hour live feeds from iRAQ... er, I mean Iraq.
Times Square, live 24/7. Cool.

ppcvidz.com
03-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Well, this is definitely a pleasent surprise. I just did a google search for "ppcvidz" to see how well the site was getting imbedded into the search engines and such. Lo and behold this forum thread popped up, so I thought I'd check it out. I must say that comments like this make the past few weeks worth of work I've been doing well worth it. I'm doing the best I can every day to come up with new material to add to the site and to change the format occasionally. The idea behind this site is that pretty soon wireless access will be available in many places (McDonalds will give away 1 hr with purchase of value meal, airplanes will offer wireless broadband) and I wanted to experiment to see how well a site like this would work. My room-mate has a Toshiba e740 and always complained about how he had to download the .asx playlist before he can watch anything, so I just figured out how to read what was in the playlist and made that my links. I apologize for the format of the site, I've caught alot of grief from my friends over this, but I'm an electrical engineer, not a programmer, so I'm doing the best I can with frontpage and learning ASP as I go. I'm also having to learn how to do video editing and converting for the content, and copyright laws. I have a friend trying to put together an MS Access Database that would make the site more maneuverable and a heck of alot easier to edit. Thanks again for the comments, and let me know any suggestions that you might have.

yunez
03-29-2003, 10:15 PM
thanks for great resource! i will just echo everyone's sentiments about the navigation..perhaps it can be aggregated into a bigger list instead of by individual letter.

Now i want to ask if anyone was able to play the 300k ASF files with minimal frame drops. WMP isnt the most efficient player, however it seems to be the only one supporting ASF. I get very jerky motion, even though the same file plays butter smooth on my desktop. Obviously reencoding is not an option, but boy would this be so cool if it played smoothly!

Specs are Axim 400mhz

ppcvidz.com
04-02-2003, 07:01 AM
We are in the process of transfering the site to import/export everything from a database. I don't really know of a better way to go about the navigation. Suppose that we had over 400 movies in each section, what would be the best way to navigate after choosing movies>action>"then what from here". Remember, there are over 400 movies in this section (hypothetically speaking) and you are on a 320x240 screen. As for the 300k streams, almost all of the media except the full-length movie section (which isn't open to the public yet) are being hosted on other servers that was found freely streaming on the net, so I don't really have the capability of re-encoding the media. I also realize that WMP isn't exactly the best player, but I wanted to design the site so that user's could watch the media on the site without having to install a 3rd party application such as Real Player or PocketTV.

Hopefully we'll be switching over to the database search style within the next week, so be sure to check back. And if you have any suggestions, comments, or media that you would like to see added to the site, don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected].

ppcvidz.com
04-24-2003, 10:04 PM
We've revamped the site a bit. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Gerard
04-24-2003, 10:37 PM
I like it a lot better. You've made it easy to get from any page to any other page in just one or two taps; something that was painfully not so in the earlier version. Very clean, and loads in Pocket IE over dialup almost instantly on every page. Great work!

dh
05-01-2003, 01:58 AM
I checked out PPCVIDZ today. Works great on my laptop, but whan I use my PPC I always get a server error after clicking on the "enter" link.

Any idea why?

ppcvidz.com
07-10-2003, 11:44 PM
A little late I'm sure, but is it working for you yet?