View Full Version : Hard reset?

Crystal Eitle
03-26-2003, 03:35 PM
So, since I've bought my Pocket PC, I've installed and uninstalled a lot of different programs.

I have a feeling there are a lot of "leftovers" still in my Pocket PC from programs that I've uninstalled.

Also, my Pocket PC is starting to act a little weird; WinamPAQ stopped working on me yesterday for no apparent reason.

So I'm thinking I want to "clean up" my system so that I can free up some stoarage space and so that it'll run smoother. I was thinking of doing a hard reset and then re-installing from scratch only those programs I know I use and love. Has anyone done this? Is it more hassle than it's worth?

What do you think, should I do a hard reset, or should I go in manually and try to clean things up, and learn to use a registry editor?

luebster
03-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Hard reset...but I would've voted for your lousy haircut if the poll option was there. jk :D

Steven Cedrone
03-26-2003, 04:47 PM
If you really want to "clean" it, the hard reset is the way to go...

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
I hard reset my iPAQ every few months. This is because I'm constantly adding and removing apps, customizing and testing. I like it clean though. A hard reset is the way to go. I've got it so that I can rebuild my iPAQ completely (all applications and customizations) in less than 2 hours. I have over 1GB of iPAQ applications that I've trialed, tested, checked out, etc. I've separated the applications that I always use into a separate folder. So for me, it's just a matter of going down the list of apps. I generally leave those that require a soft reset to the end. That way, I can install several apps in a row.

I've got it down to routine now. After a reset, I:
- Change the Device Name and Owner info (as some apps rely on this for registration).
- Sync (I keep all my data in either my My Docs so it's backed up on my Desktop, or on the SD card).
- install the apps
- customize things the way I like them (I usually do system tweaks, then application tweaks).
- Register everything - I use FlexWallet and have a separate folder with all my iPAQ registration #'s. I just roll through the list in order.

I think I did it once in about 90 minutes (most of which was done casually while watching TV).

Crystal Eitle
03-26-2003, 05:12 PM
So if I do a hard reset, I understand it will wipe out everything on my device. What about my storage card? Should I do anything special with it? I'm assuming I should take it out before I do the hard reset?

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Couldn't hurt, but I never do. The hard reset will only wipe your device.

Andy Whiteford
03-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey Spacewaitress....

I normally backup any large files from my storage card such as gps maps onto my hard drive first before a hard reset. I take card out before a hard reset then format it using a card reader. I then copy back any backup files such as the gps maps before putting back in my device and installing software.
This helps to keep the card in good condition allows you to work with a fresh device and storage card.

CTSLICK
03-26-2003, 05:30 PM
I think a hard reset is the way to go. In not only cleans up the registry but also gets rid of all those left over files from apps long gone that nibble away at memory. I do one annually, though I should probably do one every 6 months.

On the memory card thing, if you have apps installed on the memory card you might want to think about uninstalling them prior to the hard reset (or delete the program files manually). I left applications installed on the storage card and then did the hard reset. After I did a hard reset, then re-installed the apps to the storage card I had a couple of apps act a little strange. Ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the apps to get it cleaned up.

Data files are fine, shouldn't have any problem there.

The final tip I have is...as a safe guard, I copied the entire contents of my SD card to my desktop...just in case! Might take a while but the peace of mind is worth it.

Jacob
03-26-2003, 05:59 PM
I actually did the hard reset just last night!

I did the whole backup the storage card - although not necessary.

I wouldn't screw with the registry like that - I only do that if I know exactly what I'm looking for and I backup everything that I delete/change. To clean the system - hard reset is the way to go.

It's also worth it - I now have a couple Mb more free memory on my 1910 to work with :D

One thing you might consider doing is to install all the apps that you normally put in main memory and then do a full backup. This would let you just do a hard reset in the future and then just restore that backup and voila! you have all those apps already installed.

Sven Johannsen
03-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Recognize that the programs you have installed on your SD card will still be there, but the pointers to them, and registry entries will be gone, rendering most of them useless. You can opt to just reinstall over the old versions, or you can delete everything off your SD card except the My Documents folder and contents, and re-install apps fresh. You may even change your mind on where you want particular programs (SD, user ROM, Main RAM), so getting rid of the trash makes sense.

My prefferred approach is to create an SD backup folder on my hard drive and drag the whole contents over to it. Then I reformat the SD, and drag back what is needed only. Usually just My Documents.

JvanEkris
03-27-2003, 10:27 AM
Problem is that a lot of apps install things in your windows directory. You will never find them.... Hard reset is the cleanest thing to do.

Jaap