View Full Version : peer to peer gaming can get you sued

wocket
03-26-2003, 02:27 PM
I noticed this on www.pocketgamer.org so full credit to Mike Wagstaff and I hope he does'nt mind me reposting some of it here.

This is slighly off the pocketpc topic but it just seem to me to be totally absured.

"Peer-to-Peer Systems LLC announced that it has served a Complaint on Palm, Inc., the Milpitas, California-based maker of personal digital assistants ("PDAs"). The Complaint alleges that the use of Palm PDAs and clone PDAs to play multiple player games wirelessly and interactively on two or more such devices directly infringes Peer-to-Peer's U.S. Patent No. 5,618,045 ("the '045 patent") relating to methods and apparatus for playing interactive, multiple player computer games on ad hoc, wireless local area networks. The Complaint also alleges that Palm's advertisement and sale of multiple player game software and instruction of customers in the use of Palm PDAs and clone PDAs to play multiple player games wirelessly and interactively on two or more such devices unlawfully induces infringement of the '045 patent. The suit was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware and has been assigned to Chief Judge Sue L. Robinson.

"The '045 patent was issued in April, 1997, and names Michael Kagan and Ian Solomon as inventors. Peer-to-Peer licenses the '045 patent on a reasonable royalty basis to makers of PDAs, hand-held computers, cellular telephones, and dedicated wireless electronic gaming devices, as well as developers and vendors of interactive multiple player game software.

"Peer-to-Peer's attorney, Stephen L. Sulzer, stated that the suit against Palm became necessary after settlement discussions between the companies failed to produce an agreement. Peer-to-Peer maintains a policy of vigorously enforcing its intellectual property rights against infringers and is also engaged in litigation to enforce the '045 patent against Cybiko, Inc., a Bloomingdale, Illinois maker of hand-held computers for teenagers and developer of interactive multiple player game software for the mobile market."

How many of you guys are using or developing muli-player games then?

Mike Wagstaff
03-26-2003, 04:51 PM
I hope he does'nt mind me reposting some of it here
Not at all. I think it's worth repeating and discussing elsewhere, if only for the amusement factor. :)

Janak Parekh
03-26-2003, 05:04 PM
I think Ed's going to be doing a front-page post on this...

--janak

rzanology
03-28-2003, 05:32 PM
if they can't get you at home using per to per, how do they plan on catching you on the train?