View Full Version : Safe Store Problem

mcasanova
03-26-2003, 01:40 PM
I have a J567 from quite a while. Some time ago I was reading an ebook in MSReader and got a popup asking to use some space as application memory due to the fact that the ebook was too large. The case is that I said yes but the device froze up and when restarted everything installed on the Safe Store was missing. I still can use the remainings of the safe store but the 2 megs that where previous occupied by programs is not available anymore (nor the programs can be used since they're gone). Does anyone knows how can I recover that ghost space back?

Janak Parekh
03-26-2003, 05:02 PM
You might have to call HP for this one -- they probably need to reinitialize the Safe Store, and that's not something that can be done with built-in tools.

--janak

Sparky
03-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a variant of the disappearing Safe Store. Many Jornada owners had their Safe Store completely disappear on them. Mine did, and I went for nearly a year without it. Then, I came across a tool that someone else found. I'm pretty sure it was on one of the BH boards, but I can't remember for sure. The tool was actually written for the iPaq that had a similar feature as Safe Store - they also had issues with it disappearing on them.

I used the iPaq tool on my jornada 568 and was able to recover the enitre space of my Safe Store, however, all items that were stored in there prior to it disappearing were gone.

I don't think I can attach the software to this post, but if you send me your email address I can send you the tool. It's basically a little (4kb) EXE (called PSMformat1.exe) that you launch from withing your PDA. You'll need to back up all of the data in your Safe Store somewhere else, since I'm pretty sure it will be gone from Safe Store after this tool reformats it. (you may also want to doa complete PDA backup just in case).

You also may want to search the BH forums - specifically the iPaq ones. I can't recall what iPaq calls their version of Safe Store, but I'm sure if you search the BH forum with those words and words like "recovery", you should be able to find it.

mcasanova
04-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Sparky. I manage to find the topic in BH and got aware that I would loss what I had in Safe Store so I backed up, applied the solution and voila!, the whole space of safe store is available again. Really, thanks a lot.