View Full Version : New Frontiers in PPC Usage

Crystal Eitle
03-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Ho ho. I just took a hot bath with my Pocket PC. Put it in a Ziploc baggie, and read an eBook in the tub. It was totally awesome. I got the idea from a comment in one of the forums here (although I think the person said they weren't brave enought to try this).

Has anyone else done this?

What's the most unusual place/circumstance under which you've used your Pocket PC?

Reinaldo
03-26-2003, 03:50 AM
8O How strong was the Ziplock Bag?

And yes I have. On a thunderstorm, it had a rugged case. I had my fingesr crossed as I used an app that simulates a coin flip to determine whether I would live to do it again. The odds were pretty bad but otherwise it was OK. Why? BIC!

dh
03-26-2003, 03:59 AM
SW, if your doorbell rings it's those blokes in white coats come to take you away.

Don't worry, you won't be alone some of us are already there I'm sure! :shocked!:

Weyoun6
03-26-2003, 04:26 AM
dont worry, I have a bad habit of reading paper books sans ziplock in the shower. However, I dont think I will be doing that to my $500 pocket pc. Hey! this is a perfect use for a old Palm!

Janak Parekh
03-26-2003, 05:14 AM
8O Just how long do you guys spend bathing yourselves? I wish had that kind of time. :(

SW, I do agree with you about the attractiveness of eBook reading, though. Real books just feel so... heavy now. And awkward. Add RepliGo where I can read my academic papers, and I'm truly trying to stop reading any paper materials. :lol:

--janak

ctmagnus
08-18-2003, 07:16 AM
...I'm truly trying to stop reading any paper materials. :lol:

--janak

:way to go:

I've been trying to switch over to ebooks completely, but the whole paper publishing industry has so much momentum.

dh
08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
SW, I do agree with you about the attractiveness of eBook reading, though. Real books just feel so... heavy now. And awkward. Add RepliGo where I can read my academic papers, and I'm truly trying to stop reading any paper materials. :lol:

--janak
I was travelling home the other day and happened to notice that some people on the plane were reading huge hardback books. By the time you add in their laptops and everything else, their briefcases must have weighed a ton.

All I had to carry was an old Daytimer binder containing my Axim (with more books than these people could fit in a suitcase), Pocketop keyboard, WiFi card, Sony earbuds and my cellphone.

Gotta love these PPCs. :D

ctmagnus
08-18-2003, 06:37 PM
All I had to carry was an old Daytimer binder containing my Axim (with more books than these people could fit in a suitcase)

I've been looking for a way to stick a Pocket PC into my Franklin Covey binder (and have it stay there) but am as yet unsuccessful.

However, I just discovered their Universal Handheld Clip Binder Attachment (http://shopping.franklincovey.com/shopping/catalog/product.jsp?navAction=push&navCount=1&id=prod420). The only issue may be is that the Tungsten something-or-other pictured is apparantly 3" wide (according to this (http://www.datapatchstore.com/paltunthanpd.html)) but iPaq 3xxx/5xxxs are ~3.25" wide at the point that matters in this case.

GoldKey
08-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Day Timer makes a clip in slipper case for a Palm (but the Axim fits) that clips into a small binder. I used it for a while until I got the Krussell. Staples had them clearanced a few weeks back.

maximus
08-19-2003, 09:56 AM
I was travelling home the other day and happened to notice that some people on the plane were reading huge hardback books. By the time you add in their laptops and everything else, their briefcases must have weighed a ton.

Reading thick hardback book in public makes you look smart, while playing with a PPC in public makes you look geeky. He heh.

This reminds me of a thread in which a guy was asking whether he should choose an axim or a palm device to attract the opposite sex ... I was curious how is he doing with his experiment.

dh
08-19-2003, 12:16 PM
This reminds me of a thread in which a guy was asking whether he should choose an axim or a palm device to attract the opposite sex ... I was curious how is he doing with his experiment.

He doesn't have time to post here any longer so the Clie must be working!!

whydidnt
08-19-2003, 03:18 PM

The issue with PPC and E-books on airplanes is that you can't read for the first or last 1/2 hour you're on the plane, so you still need to bring some sort of paper reading material. If it's a short flight ~ less than 2 hours, it almost becomes a why bother experience. This is the primary reason I haven't adopted e-books as a regular source of reading material.

Whydidnt

maximus
08-20-2003, 03:00 AM

Huh ? Why are you still using an axim then ? Sell it and buy a clie !! :rotfl:

Brad Adrian
08-20-2003, 04:25 AM
The issue with PPC and E-books on airplanes is that you can't read for the first or last 1/2 hour you're on the plane...
But don't you sit in rapt attention to the attendants as they go through the highly technical procedure for unbuckling a seat belt? Who'd want to be reading during THAT?

dh
08-20-2003, 04:32 AM

Huh ? Why are you still using an axim then ? Sell it and buy a clie !! :rotfl:
No way, there's enough going on already with my wife and daughter. The last thing I need is to be chased around by the South Jersey Clie Groupies.
I'll stick to the Axim.