View Full Version : Windows CE.NET

ntractv
03-26-2003, 12:28 AM
First up let me state that I am a PPC novice. I have an iPAQ 3835 that I currently use (previous PDA's include the Sharp Zaurus 5800 series, moved from there to the Cassio E-11, then to the Casio E115, next iPAQ 3635 and now on the current formerly mentioned). Again as I stated, I am a PPC novice who learns as I go (much to the help of forums like this). I like the bells and whistles of the PPC OS, as I have never cared for the GUI of Palms, PPC's just seemed to mind meld with me as far as my desktop relationship. But I really need to understand this whole .NET concept. Maybe I'm not reading up enough but I truly don't understand the entire concept and what it is that it does over the current PPC 2K2. Is the whole .NET framework the anticipated PPC 2K3?

Janak Parekh
03-26-2003, 01:44 AM
No. Microsoft has confused things with the overdone .NET branding. CE.NET/the next version of Pocket PC will support the .NET Framework, but it will not be exclusively limited to that. Presumably it's more of a refresh of the current operating system and architecture and the beginning of a migration to the .NET Framework. At least, that's my guess.

Is that of any help? :)

--janak

ntractv
03-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Somewhat, but, can you explain to me in laymans terms what exactly is the .NET framework.

Jacob
03-27-2003, 12:12 AM
The .NET framework is a runtime that is required for .NET applications to run.

It is essentially like the Java runtime - you can't run a Java application without having a Java program installed.

It is confusing. I think MS just called everything .NET primarily to get the name out. You can install the Compact .NET framework on a POcket PC 2002 system.