View Full Version : BoxWave ClearTouch Screen Protectors

Jason Dunn
03-26-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/' target='_blank'>http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/</a><br /><br /></div>BoxWave sent me a few of their new <a href="http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/">ClearTouch</a> screen protectors for my <a href="http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpcthoughts/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2621&pf%5Fid=MP965290">iPAQ 1910</a>, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with them. I've tried out quite a few screen protectors, and previously the only ones I'd ever recommend to anyone were the <a href="http://www.ppctechs.com/">PPC Techs WriteShields</a>. I can now add the ClearTouch to that very short list - I found it easy to apply, and it's difficult to tell it's on, the hallmark of a good screen protector. What's better, you can wash it and re-use it if you need to clean it up. Nice! :way to go:

ntractv
03-26-2003, 12:04 AM
I have tried several screen savers, WriteRight was a complete wash, moved to Brando and was very happy, next tried WrithShields and also happy. How does BoxWave stand up to the later(s)? I am alway giddy for a good protector for my iPAQ 3835.

Jason Dunn
03-26-2003, 12:15 AM
I have tried several screen savers, WriteRight was a complete wash, moved to Brando and was very happy, next tried WrithShields and also happy. How does BoxWave stand up to the later(s)? I am alway giddy for a good protector for my iPAQ 3835.

That's hard to say - the only TRUE way to compare then would be to get two Pocket PCs of the same type, load up the same image on both, and have a WriteShield on one, and a ClearTouch on the other. Anything else is just an opinion, which is what I gave. :wink: :D

karinatwork
03-26-2003, 12:49 AM
I totally agree with Jason. I bought them because the description sounded great. But I found out they really are a great product. Of course, that too is just my own personal opinion... :)

Karin

jet8810
03-26-2003, 01:44 AM
In my extensive screen protector test I used the ClearTouch and it was OK. I did not think it was great, like Jason did. Then again, I was comparing it to Brandos and WriteShields directly, so YMMV. If you wish to read this review, please do check it out at: http://www.pdajunkie.net/sprotectorscompare.htm . It is long, so you might want to do it during some serious spare time! :).

Eitel
03-26-2003, 03:09 AM
I have used WriteShields and Brando in the past and they're both great. Now, the ClearTouch is the only one so far that I have been able to apply with absolutely no bubbles or fingerprints at all, and the quality is as good (or the same) as the Writeshields. Also, if you want to try one out, you don't need to spend $30+ on a 3 pack, since they (Boxwave) also sell them individually.

seanturner
03-26-2003, 05:43 AM
I've been using G2's and have found those blend the best with the screen because they go under the screen.

I've taken pictures (I'll post them when I get a chance) of two identical iPaq 5450's with the same image side by side, one with the protectors and one without and there is some yellow coloring added but I find it negligible.

Len Egan
03-26-2003, 12:05 PM
I totally agree with Jason. I bought them because the description sounded great. But I found out they really are a great product. Of course, that too is just my own personal opinion... :)

Karin

I have tried every protector under the sun. My two favs.? Writeshield and Boxwave. The later is $12.75 for one. The former runs about $27.95 for 3 PLUS you get screen cleaner and clothes. Because of the extras Writeshield might be a better value, but I think that I miqht favor the Boxwave protector.

roberto_torres
03-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Of all the screen protectors I have tried G2 are the best, they dont use adhesive and last for a lot of time. Also they are completely clear.

They use a special anti scratch coating. The only problem is that they are a bit expensive.

Check them out at www.pdascreenprotectors.com

BigCTM
03-26-2003, 02:45 PM
I tried the Brandos and thought they were junk! I could easily apply it but it was obvious that I was using a screen protector. It made the screen look dull instead of bright. After this experience, I am very wary of trying another screen protector. Maybe I am asking too much, but I want the screen with a protector to be as bright as the screen without a protector.

Doug Raeburn
03-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Of all the screen protectors I have tried G2 are the best, they dont use adhesive and last for a lot of time. Also they are completely clear.

They use a special anti scratch coating. The only problem is that they are a bit expensive.

After trying many others (WriteRights (yuk!), WriteShields, Brandos and G2s), my favorite protectors are NuShields by far. They provide all of the same benefits as listed in the quote for G2s. The latest version of them is takes them from nearly clear to completely clear. They also have a tapered design that makes them easier to install. No adhesive means no dust sticking while installing, and no need to turn your bathrrom into a sauna in order to install dust free. They can be removed, washed and used over and over again, just like G2s.

And best of all, they're considerably less expensive than G2s in the quantities that most of us would buy... $14.95 for 3 vs. $13.95 for 2 (roughly $5 each vs. $6.50 each).

Finally, their customer support has been just great. A real winner overall in my eyes.

Mike Temporale
03-26-2003, 03:12 PM
It looks like these are sold individualy. (or 3 packs) How long does one of these last? With my current screen protectors (WriteRights) after about a month it is so scratched and beaten, it's time to peal it off and install a new one. I don't see how washing the protector would help this.

Could I expect 1 of these to last me a year? or do they wear out after a couple months?

Doug Raeburn
03-26-2003, 07:07 PM
It looks like these are sold individualy. (or 3 packs) How long does one of these last? With my current screen protectors (WriteRights) after about a month it is so scratched and beaten, it's time to peal it off and install a new one. I don't see how washing the protector would help this.

Could I expect 1 of these to last me a year? or do they wear out after a couple months?

I've used a single NuShield for about 6 months before I replaced it. These things are very durable, and it takes a long time before any scratches start to show up, if ever. The durability statement applies to all of the protectors that have been mentioned, other than WriteRights (WriteShields, Brandos, G2, NuShields, ClearTouch). If you're currently using WriteRights, you absolutely will see a major increase in durability with any of these other products.

BoxWave
03-30-2003, 03:53 AM
Hi all :),

Just wanted to let you guys know that I made it on to these boards :p... please don't ask why it took me so long!!! (Sorry in advance).

My offer on all these boards is just to let me know however I can help, I want 100% customer satisfaction... so if there's any questions, concerns, or otherwise, I'd truly be glad to help!

Thanks all,

Wing Lum
BoxWave

BoxWave
03-30-2003, 03:55 AM
http://www.cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7300&highlight=boxwave

That's the review I was looking for (posted on Cliesource)

BoxWave
04-18-2003, 08:59 AM
BigCTM,

Try us out. If you don't like the screen protection, we'll organize a quick return and refund.

Take care!

Just let us know,

Wing Lum
BoxWave

Mike Temporale
04-18-2003, 11:34 PM
I just got my order the other day. A minisync, and 3 screen protectors. I must say, I am very impressed with EVERYTHING, including the service. :way to go:

BoxWave
04-29-2003, 08:18 AM
:)!,

Thanks for the support everyone!

We just won TWO Top Pick awards from Handheld Computing Magazine for Cleartouch and miniSync - so we're pretty glad about that :).

Thanks for everyone who's supported BoxWave.

Best wishes,

Wing Lum
BoxWave

Mona13
05-01-2003, 02:59 AM
I have used several kinds, NuShield, WriteShield, WriteRights and now the ClearTouch. I plan on sticking with the ClearTouch.

Great glare reduction without color distortion, no bubbles. I like the "touch" when it's installed on my unit and the protection.

Customer service is awesome! Quick replies to questions, etc.