View Full Version : Kazaa for the Pocket PC?

Jason Dunn
03-24-2003, 08:14 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=8391&associateid=204' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketgear.com/software_...associateid=204</a><br /><br /></div>"Complete Kazaa is a perfectly working model of Kazaa for the PocketPC. It has the regular options (Adult Blocking if wished) proxy’s, everything. It has Theatre, My Shared Folder, Transfers, Web, and Search. It even has the ability to filter out viruses and bogus filed. You can download at up to 900kps!!! It is amazing. Currently ***ON SALE*** Complete Kazaa is a limited time offer. It wont last long!"<br /><br />Regardless of how you feel about file sharing programs, any platform that gets one has achieved a certain amount of legitimacy, so from that point of view I'm glad to see this software for the Pocket PC. :wink: This software is $25, but it has no demo, no screenshot...and it hasn't been downloaded once yet. Someone feel like being brave? [Affiliate]

shekondar
03-24-2003, 08:30 PM
"Complete Kazaa is a perfectly working model of Kazaa for the PocketPC.

Does it come "complete" with spyware for your PocketPC??

ricksfiona
03-24-2003, 08:32 PM

Heck, I don't even load Kazaa on my usual work machine. I have it loaded on a junky P100. Spyware really pisses me off too.

Paul P
03-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Not sure how to put this, but they expect Kazaa software not to be shared on Kazaa? Who is going to pay for this? Kazaa users? (I am under the impression that the only reason to install Kazaa is to get stuff for free, has something changed? :wink: )

guinness
03-24-2003, 08:44 PM
What's the point? Cool that it 'could' work, but a) no screenies or demo and b) you would need a pretty beefy memory card to hold mp3's and whatnot. BTW, if you want to use Kazaa, but hate the spyware, use Kazza Lite: http://doa2.host.sk/.

MasterOfMoo
03-24-2003, 08:45 PM

I wouldn't touch the software solely because of the Kazaa association, even if only by name. :pukeface:

pschultz
03-24-2003, 08:51 PM
What's the point? Cool that it 'could' work, but a) no screenies or demo and b) you would need a pretty beefy memory card to hold mp3's and whatnot. BTW, if you want to use Kazaa, but hate the spyware, use Kazza Lite: http://doa2.host.sk/.

Or get Kazaa Lite from here: http://www.kazaalite.com/

Jonathan1
03-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Chalk it up to another W?BIC! piece of software. :rock on dude!:

Jason Dunn
03-24-2003, 09:07 PM
Not sure how to put this, but they expect Kazaa software not to be shared on Kazaa? Who is going to pay for this? Kazaa users? (I am under the impression that the only reason to install Kazaa is to get stuff for free, has something changed? :wink: )

You're right, there is a certain irony in charging for file sharing software....hehe. :lol:

uvahoos
03-24-2003, 10:14 PM
You're right, there is a certain irony in charging for file sharing software....hehe. :lol:

I completely agree. The whole idea behind P2P software is SHARING. You don't see WinMX or Kazaa for that matter even thinking about charging for software.

Also, I find the thought of trying to download software/media on my PocketPC kind of ridiculous. All of the queuing, waiting, etc... I can think of better uses for my Jornada's time. :wink:

Robotbeat
03-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Nah... I don't feel brave enough to download it... I'll just download it off Kazaa or something... :D

felixdd
03-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Sorta reminds me of the rant I had about the morality of Morphgear (then pocketgb) charging money for gameboy emulation.

ipaq38vette
03-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Kazaalite is great. No ads, faster, no spyware. Complete Kazaa would be great for something for the PPC to do when cradled, but definatly not for $25. If you have windows XP pro you can use termanal services to browse the desktop Kazaa(lite)

JohnnyFlash
03-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Heck, I don't even load Kazaa on my usual work machine. I have it loaded on a junky P100. Spyware really pisses me off too.

Yeah. It must be annoying when a program you use primarily to steal software does something illegal on your computer. Sorry, my sympathy detector is only measuring "ironic" at the moment.

Dermot81
03-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Kazaalite is great. No ads, faster, no spyware. Complete Kazaa would be great for something for the PPC to do when cradled, but definatly not for $25. If you have windows XP pro you can use termanal services to browse the desktop Kazaa(lite)

Yeah that's exactly what I do if I'm somewhere on campus and I want to download and listen to a song, while away from my computer. I just connect remotely to my computer and fire up kazaa lite. Works perfectly, the download goes into a folder that I have being shared through FTP, so I just grab it from there after the download is done. I would say, 40% of my music from the last two months has come this way.

yunez
03-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Yeah that's exactly what I do if I'm somewhere on campus and I want to download and listen to a song, while away from my computer. I just connect remotely to my computer and fire up kazaa lite. Works perfectly, the download goes into a folder that I have being shared through FTP, so I just grab it from there after the download is done. I would say, 40% of my music from the last two months has come this way.
ive tried the same. very clunky. by the time ive completed the arduous series of chores and and the song is finally playing on my axim, my battery is half dead

PetiteFlower
03-24-2003, 11:56 PM
2 Beers up for Kazaa Lite!

:beer:

Weyoun6
03-25-2003, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry, but unless you have some magic broadband wireless connection on your ppc, this software seems pretty pointless to me....

PetiteFlower
03-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Not to mention unlimited storage....

shekondar
03-25-2003, 01:18 AM
Kazaalite is great. No ads, faster, no spyware.

Yeah, I thought it was great at first, too. Then I discovered it was sharing files that I told it NOT to share, and that after I shut it down it was STILL running in the background! :evil: Besides, it's not worth the hassle - spending at least half an hour (even with DSL) to download one or two songs...

Needless to say, it's gone now...

arebelspy
03-25-2003, 01:22 AM

I have my computer set up as a VNC server for remote controlling of it, and an FTP server (for PPC access). But doing it your way seems like wasted effort to me, you download it on your computer, then download it onto PPC (via computer's ftp).. If you had this program you could just download it straight to the ppc, would be much faster.

*shrugs*

I'm sorry, but unless you have some magic broadband wireless connection on your ppc, this software seems pretty pointless to me....

I have a 3G connection that offers unlimited downloads at $10 per month. It's faster than GPRS and faster than a 56K modem (I typically get 80-100 kbps). Yeah, it's no broadband, but I downloaded 10+ gigs of mp3s back when I had a 56K, it'll be faster than those times.

Not to mention unlimited storage....

Save it to storage card when out and about, transfer it to comp when you get home.

To the last 2 comments: yes, you could have downloaded it at home and transferred it to the PPC, it'd be faster, it'd be better, but haven't you ever been out then hit by a craving to hear a particular song right away? Perfect for those times.

-arebelspy

ipaq38vette
03-25-2003, 01:27 AM
Theres no question about it,
napster was the bert :!:

spursdude
03-25-2003, 01:46 AM
I love how it says "no viruses." that's how i know it's a scam...

gtarent
03-25-2003, 02:36 AM
I know you all think kazaa is only used for stealing programs; however, I relied heavily on kazaa to see tv shows when my tivo went on the fritz (I work second shift). Of course this use is only for those with high bandwidth, and lots of patience.

dean_shan
03-25-2003, 02:46 AM
I know you all think kazaa is only used for stealing programs; however, I relied heavily on kazaa to see tv shows when my tivo went on the fritz (I work second shift). Of course this use is only for those with high bandwidth, and lots of patience.

Kazaa Lite is great for finding old tv shows aswell. It saves a lot of time to connect to someone instead of browsing the internet for a link.

yunez
03-25-2003, 02:47 AM
its funny how the reception is markedly different when its a port of kazaa instead of napster. I remember a few months ago someone posted about a napster port, and most people were excited. I for one would find this software useful

Weyoun6
03-25-2003, 02:51 AM
I for one would find this software useful

Allright, I'll bite. How would you use this software? I'm really interested, all in the cause of W?BIC!. I know people who cant understand ppc movie watching, so I am willing to learn!

TheDuk
03-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Sorta reminds me of the rant I had about the morality of Morphgear (then pocketgb) charging money for gameboy emulation.

I will have to respectfully disagree here. If a programmer decides to take his time to reverse engineer a system and/or program and create their own version of it, they have every right to charge money for their new creation. There's nothing immoral about it in the least.

Connectix has been selling VirtualPC for years. Should that be free by your rationale? Should Bleem (psx emulator) for Dreamcast been free just because it was a playstation emulator?

A lot of time, knowledge and effort goes into creating a program, be it an emulator or any other type of program. While there is no real market selling legal GameBoy ROMs that you could play with the emulator, there are hobbyist ROMs out there, and some people do have legit ROMs that they could use.

Now, with respect to this Complete Kazaa...after looking at this "company's" other offerings, I have extremely high doubts that this is anything the least bit worthwhile or legit. But if it was legit, I don't see any problem with them charging money for it.

Yes, for the most part, it would be used to steal from other people that put a lot of time and effort into their own work (be it music or other software). But that use is completely up to the end user. It could be used legally or illegally. That should in no way impact a programmer's ability to charge for something that he created.

bbarker
03-25-2003, 05:53 AM
Allright, I'll bite. How would you use this software? I'm really interested, all in the cause of W?BIC!. I know people who cant understand ppc movie watching, so I am willing to learn!
I may be dense, but what does "W?BIC!" mean?

bbarker
03-25-2003, 05:55 AM
I wonder if you have to run this product in the background on your PPC in order to chalk up sharing points, so you'll be allowed to also download.

Just kidding.

spursdude
03-25-2003, 06:09 AM
I may be dense, but what does "W?BIC!" mean?

Why? Because I can!

It's become a favorite around these boards... a perfect excuse for more toys, it seems.

arebelspy
03-25-2003, 06:39 AM
its funny how the reception is markedly different when its a port of kazaa instead of napster. I remember a few months ago someone posted about a napster port, and most people were excited. I for one would find this software useful

That was "OpenNAP CE," now called "Zamar."

And no one complained because it was free.

http://www.networkdweebs.com/stuff/opennapce/

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=32C85CA8A91E799FAA68C9EEE26A5EC7&productId=49462&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=zamar&sectionId=0&platformId=2

-arebelspy

xCyJ
03-25-2003, 09:55 AM
if u took a look at the other software made by the same "software company", it looks like the person behind this software developer is only creating crap and bogus software :roll: :roll: :roll:

JeZaD
03-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Forget KaZaa etc and Music:

The last few times I've used KaZaa for music I've been very disappointed. I've now given up using these music exchanges. Why: The quality that you find there. The music industry (quite rightly) is now sabotaging the whole thing by flooding them with servers with low-quality samples. They ain't stupid - its working with me, I'm off to buy the CD.

For example, I downloaded 4 songs from an album currently in the top 40.
All were supposedly sampled at 128 rate. NOT a single one was ANY where near CD quality!!!!
- One had excessive crackle in the backround as if the thing had been recorded from a bad quality radio source
- One was not even stereo! Of so badly encoded hat I couldn't tell
- The others were OK-ish but no where near CD, as if they were 64K resampled up to 128k.

You may have had better experiences....

ux4484
03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
hmmmm.....have your fun with kazaa or Morpheous until you're hauled out of your house and your computers confiscated for just having kazaa.exe on your machine.........at least that's what the RIAA would like the DOJ to do. Why anyone would waste the resouces of their PPC to do this (if it's for real) is beyond me.

ctmagnus
03-25-2003, 09:58 PM
The last few times I've used KaZaa for music I've been very disappointed. I've now given up using these music exchanges. Why: The quality that you find there.

I concur. In the old days, it was easy to find a high-quality song (in both senses of the phrase) but now it's just a waste of bandwidth.