View Full Version : InactiveStink failing to detect my Axim

subBlue
03-24-2003, 11:51 AM
I've just got a new computer with XP and i'm trying to get ActiveSync working with my Axim. I've installed AS 3.6 before connecting the axim, then when told to, i plug in the axim, but windows always detects it as a USB device and tries to find drivers :evil:

This has always happened on previous computers where i've installed AS and i've kept uninstalling AS, reboot, reinstall until finally it decides to detect the axim. However, on this machine it just doesn't want to play.

Is there something i'm missing, or has everyone gone through this hassle? The funny thing is though that on my home machine i've never had any of the AS problems reported by others, that is once i've got the blimmin software installed properly :?

FieldDoc
03-24-2003, 12:11 PM
Just a couple of daft questions. When you insert the cradle into the USB port - the Dell is also in the cradle and switched on right? Also, if you are connecting the cradle to the PC via a USB hub - don't, it's not worth the hassle.

subBlue
03-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes the dell is switched on and the usb cable goes directly into the computer.
AS just doesn't seem to be stopping the automatic hardware detection that happens when you plug in a usb device. This is the third machine i've had this problem with, but as yet this particular one just doesn't want to play :(

subBlue
03-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Ahh, now it works if i use AS v3.5 instead of the newer v3.6 from the MS website - strange :?

Sven Johannsen
03-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Not strange. AS 3.6 download from MS does NOT have all the USB drivers for all models of PPC. Those are vendor and device specific. The drivers are on the DELL CD, obviously, and are distinct items from ActiveSync. Once the OEM USB drivers are loaded, which happens when installing AS off the CD, you can certainly upgrade to AS 3.6 if you wish. This has been documented frequently in the forums since AS 3.6 first came out and folks started using it for clean installs.

Incidentally, if you get a new DELL, and install AS 3.6 only, you can still get it to work. When you first connect the Dell you will get a USB hardware detected dialog, which will ask for drivers. You must point it at the .inf on the DELL CD. The appropriate drivers will load, the machine will be able to talk to the AXIM, and AS will be happy.