View Full Version : This is getting out of control!

dh
03-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Here I am, the weather is beatuful, ideal for running, cycling or just enjoying the outddors.

So what am I doing you might well ask?

I must confess, I'm working my way through 1,000 pages of directions on PocketMatrix to attempt my first DVD ripping project, all to watch a movie I have no interest in (could only find one DVD around here) on a tiny screen.

Good job my family is away this weekend, they would know for sure that it's time to send for the blokes in white coats! Hope I get a nice padded cell. :crazyeyes:

Steven Cedrone
03-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Here I am, the weather is beatuful, ideal for running, cycling or just enjoying the outddors.

So what am I doing you might well ask?

I must confess, I'm working my way through 1,000 pages of directions on PocketMatrix to attempt my first DVD ripping project, all to watch a movie I have no interest in (could only find one DVD around here) on a tiny screen.

Good job my family is away this weekend, they would know for sure that it's time to send for the blokes in white coats! Hope I get a nice padded cell. :crazyeyes:

Not sure what's worse: You sitting there in front of your PC doing your project, or all of us sitting in front of out PC's reading about it... :wink:

When you do finally get it ripped and on your Pocket PC, at least go outside and watch it!!!...

Steve

Vincent M Ferrari
03-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Not sure what's worse: You sitting there in front of your PC doing your project, or all of us sitting in front of out PC's reading about it... :wink:

Funny... I was just debating the same type of idea. I wanted to go out and get a new wireless 802.11b router to replace the one I fried, and thought what a beautiful day it is to go to the store and get a new router.

So I can work on it.

In the house.

What in the hell is wrong with me :-)

Reinaldo
03-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Funny, I was also debating whether to leave home and go enjoy the snunshine or stay here and work on a movie project with Windows Movie Maker that I could finish in an hour anytime this week.

Let's face it. We have crossed the line. Pocket PCs were meant (in my mind) to be used outside so as to enjoy some advantages of a PC without a PC. And yet, look at us. We are working with PCs when its such a beautiful day outside.

My room has to have blue extra padding and my strait Jacket size is 14, thank you.

Weyoun6
03-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I think I will go outside. It is sunny in Seattle, what are the odds of that? And what am I doing? Surfing pocket pc thoughts. I must be mad! *teehee* :shocked!: I need to get out! Must stop typing......

cslaughtermd
03-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Frightening - I'm sitting with a stack of classic CDs, slowly adding to and reorganizing my mp3s and burning some for a friend.
I've had great success with VHS - digitizing into VCD with my ATI all-in-wonder card then converting whole movies with Windows Media Converter 7.0 into files <70 mb for decent watching on my ipaq! So far I've got Austin Powers 2 and 3, ace ventura, saving silverman, the royal tenenbaums, LOTR, the ladies man, the waterboy and a few more!
Oh yeah, the weather isn't fantastic here in Worcester, MA, (that's no excuse, though) :morning: so I won't call the boys in white yet!

Janak Parekh
03-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Ah, see, this is why I'm a Computer Science Ph.D.. I have to stay inside and work a lot, so I can't chalk it up to insanity. ;)

What I really, really, really want is a laptop with a transflective screen. I can then take it outside and work in the sun. I'd be the happiest guy around. :D

--janak

Lotto
03-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Wait...you guys are all just trying to get me to look out my window, aren't you? 8O

bobkatt
03-24-2003, 01:29 AM
I think what's worse is going outside with your laptop to some dark bar to do your work. Drink expensive beer and do work while it it sunny and warm outside. ;-)

that_kid
03-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Well earlier this morning I decided to redo my wifi setup. Basically I wanted to have enough coverage outside so when I walk my dog I will have a signal :lol: so i took my wap 11 apart and mounted it to a nice aluminium plate and put it in the absolute highest spot in my attic. I already had a power over ethernet system that I made 2 years ago so it was easy. So what's the verdic......well not only is the signal 50% at 400 feet away throught trees and houses :jawdrop: , but I can go much much further and it still works. I was even able to roam around in the woods behind my house and stay connected. With that said I'm now sitting outside in my swing with my laptop and pocket pc attracting all those damn bugs because of the bright light from the laptop( where's that bug zapper ). Plus I was able to finish up some work outside while watching my son zip around the yard with his power wheels jeep and having the smell of burgers cooking on the grill. The best of all worlds :D

dh
03-24-2003, 03:12 AM
After a long time converting, Sweet Home Alabama is running happily on my Axim in full screen landscape orientation. (Not my favorite movie but it was all I could find).

The picture quality is great, not sure that the sound is 100% synced, need to watch for longer to be sure. Seems pretty good so far though.

The file size came out to be 170MB which I thought was not too bad. I've loaded the file onto my 256MB SD card but I have a 1GB CF card on the way, so room for a few more. I'm using PocketMVP as the player.

Anyone wanting to make some PPC movies, check out the guides at http://www.pocketmatrix.com.

These PPCs are just too much fun!!

:drinking: Time for one of these now.

that_kid
03-24-2003, 05:54 AM
I've found that many of my movies are around 170 megs as well. I'm in the process of trying to encode a divx mocie with ogg as the audio stream. After see/hearing how well ogg files sound, I think that the two would make a killer combo.