View Full Version : How much time do you spend with your PPC?

Weyoun6
03-23-2003, 07:16 AM
I was wondering, how many times do you use your ppc daily?
How long do you use it each time, etc...

I use mine about 5 or 6 times a day, for about five minutes

Steven Cedrone
03-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Not sure how many times a day I consult my "little buddy"(at least 4 or 5). I do read all of my Mazingo channels twice a day - about an hour in the morning and the same in the evening...

Steve

Crystal Eitle
03-23-2003, 09:35 AM
First thing when I get up in the morning :sunny: I make my bed and sync up my Pocket PC. I read the news while riding the bus to work, spend my whole lunch hour reading news or an eBook or playing games, and play games or listen to music on the bus ride home. Plus I use it several times a day to track my expenses and update my calendar. When I tuck in for the night, I read eBooks or play games on my Pocket PC till I get drowsy. :zzz: I like that I can read in bed without having a light on.

So I probably spend at least 2-3 hours a day with mine.

Janak Parekh
03-23-2003, 07:12 PM
At least 10 times a day, totaling 2-3 hours. Probably more now, since with RepliGo I read papers on it nowadays. I don't even think about it... I probably would cry and turn back around if I left it at home. Thank goodness I've gotten my habits down. :)

--janak

dh
03-23-2003, 07:44 PM
At the moment I seem to be using my Axim about 25 hours a day :lol:

I'm hoping it's because I just got it and need to get it set up just right, with all the essentials.

Since I'm planning on using for work related things, as well as entertainment I plan on using it quite a lot. I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

ricksfiona
03-23-2003, 07:55 PM
I really only use mine for billing clients (time tracking), checking e-mail, Pocket Diet Tracker and the ocassional note taking. So between 1 - 2 hours a day for now.

I'm going to start doing crediit card billing via the Pocket PC which will increase the amount I use my device.

guyly
03-23-2003, 08:21 PM
My average time is 2.5 hours a day:
- I have Avantgo, Mazingo and Journal Bar for daily news, sorry everyone! my restroom time is getting longer than before I own PPC.
- I play some games but not much just to kill the time at the end of working day.
- I use it as alarm clock to wake me up every morning, but I cannot depend on it too much because sometimes it goes to sleep a couple hours also. I don't know why, don't ask me, I think everybody get this kind of experience also.
- I have a lot of tasks to do
- Keep track of family, financing, household, address and telephone records.
- I like MP3 playing while reading the e-books or news.
- And much, much more....

Guy

dMores
03-23-2003, 08:52 PM
i have installed a time tracking program, some games, and a couple of avantgo channels.

but, i don't track my time properly (since my boss wants it on paper, and i don't want to do things twice), i have no real spare time to play games on my loox, and i never read the avantgo channels that take ages to synchronize.

but i use pocket informant on a regular basis, tasks, appointments, and contacts, mainly.
i guess it'll total up to about 30 minutes a day, split up into 15 2-minute units.

:)

oferikoh
03-23-2003, 09:11 PM
You guys can use PocketPC Usage (www.dooblo.com/ppcusage) to track exactly how much time you are using your "little buddy".

http://www.dooblo.com/ppcusage/images/picScreenShotMain4.GIF

:wink:
Ofer Heijmans
Dooblo
www.dooblo.com

JvanEkris
03-23-2003, 09:35 PM
I use my PocketPC about 4 hours a day as MP3 player, 2 hours a day as agenda/timetracker, and a hour to read news.

Jaap

baker
03-23-2003, 09:42 PM
For work, probably an hour per day. For reading, probably for 30 minutes. Hours on me or in my hand or nearby, 24.

Qman
03-23-2003, 09:45 PM
You guys can use PocketPC Usage (www.dooblo.com/ppcusage) to track exactly how much time you are using your "little buddy".

Ofer Heijmans
Dooblo
www.dooblo.com

There's also UpTime!
http://ae.inc.ru/uptime.html

blusparkles
03-23-2003, 10:02 PM
That Dooblo program looks great - though I almost don't WANT to know how much I use my Pocket PC! LOL. Plus it looks like it takes up a lot of precious today screen real estate - would be great if there was a way to "minimise" it to one line when not in use.

I use my Pocket PC for probably half an hour each day looking at tasks, appointments, contacts and notes in Pocket Informant. Making little notes to myself using PI and HPC Notes probably takes up another 20 minutes. Readings news in AvantGo takes 45 minutes-1 hour. Showing my workmates the latest cool thing I did with my Pocket PC takes another 20 minutes. Reading the daily passages in Daily Reader - 20 minutes. Looking things up in FlexWallet (logins, bank account information, etc) - 10 minutes. Listening to MP3s using withMP3 at work: 1-2 hours. Miscellaneous playing around with my Pocket PC and figuring out ways I can use it more (akin to a fidgeting or biting nails habit): 2-3 hours. So in total that's .. a maximum of 6 hours and 40 minutes. Eeeek! :shocked!:

oferikoh
03-23-2003, 10:11 PM
would be great if there was a way to "minimise" it to one line when not in use.

blusparkles,
You can run PocketPC Usage either in Compact/Typical/Full mode, or a custom mode where you specify which items interest you.
You can find additional information on PocketPC Usage on our site.

Ofer Heijmans
Dooblo
www.dooblo.com

Janak Parekh
03-23-2003, 10:14 PM
That Dooblo program looks great - though I almost don't WANT to know how much I use my Pocket PC! LOL.
Agreed. Completely. :D

So in total that's .. a maximum of 6 hours and 40 minutes. Eeeek! :shocked!:
You need help. Then of course, so do I. :lol:

--janak

l0o5er
03-23-2003, 10:26 PM
On average I'd use my PPC as follows;

* iSilo: 60 - 90 minutes reading off-line news & web-based essays (I love this product)
* MS Reader: competes with above time but probably another 30 minutes
* Audible Player: 30 minutes
* Opus (personal organiser): about 30 minutes a day for planning my day/week, prioritising tasks & tracking my daily practices, & managing my life
* Word, Excel, FlexWallet, Borrower, Pocket Mindmap, Pocket Draw, Tomeraider, Calendar: 30 minutes
* Games (Solitare Engine, Marble World, Sorcery PDA): 30 - 60 minutes

All up: 4 hours a day. Gosh is it that much!?!

regards

Mitch Olson

blusparkles
03-23-2003, 10:32 PM
would be great if there was a way to "minimise" it to one line when not in use.

blusparkles,
You can run PocketPC Usage either in Compact/Typical/Full mode, or a custom mode where you specify which items interest you.
You can find additional information on PocketPC Usage on our site.

Ofer Heijmans
Dooblo
www.dooblo.com

Wow, that was quick! I just based that remark on seeing the screenshot. I'll have another look at the program! Thanks Ofer!

st63z
03-24-2003, 12:09 AM
"Normal" amount of time with "normal" applications, except when the ebook craze hits every now and then (which can be even more addictive than AvantGo/Mazingo news).

Last go-round, finally sampled the first of Bujold's Barrayaran/Vorkosigan-universe novels (due to high Fictionwise ratings), then couldn't stop! Work (sometimes), home, everywhere... Actually used 2 PPCs just so I can continue reading on the 2nd should the 1st run out of juice.

Sometimes I have this self-control/self-discipline problem :( (BTW, does Bujold have any other books not on ebook format?)

P.S. Would be nice if FW or Palm DM or Baen or whoever runs a forum ( to gauge reader opinions/recommendations). Or to see those weird fan debates (Harrington vs. Vorkosigan battle, that sort of thing) :D

darrylb
03-24-2003, 12:21 AM
I really only use mine for billing clients (time tracking)

What app do you use for time tracking - I am currently using one that I wrote in pocket VB, but it is a little slow and I dont have time to rewrite it in VB.Net using the .Net CF :(

My PPC get used for about 30 mins in the morning (My Sport training, Pocket Diet Tracker, Pocket Bible/Daily Reader). Then I use it during the day for recording notes, writing docs when necessary, Bible study and for recording time. Also on the way to and from work in the car for Real Audio or Windows Media player, then for syncing at work with Bluetooth - so probably 3-4 hours daily.

I have just installed PPCUsage though so I will know for sure in the near future - thanks for this one! :D

ledowning
03-24-2003, 12:36 AM
I sync my Pocket PC as soon as I get to work. Probably spend 40 minutes per day reading news, etc. from AvantGo. Checking of appointments with Agenda Fusion 4-5 times per day. Total of about 2-3 hours per day. This would be more when I am doing network and communications stuff for our pipeline control system (SCADA).

delfuhd
03-24-2003, 12:51 AM
thanks for that program, qman, ive been looking for something like that for a long time!

Mona13
03-24-2003, 01:14 AM
Does the PPCUsage count time being on, or time actually being used? I keep it cradled and on at my desk at work all day. My DockWare screensaver comes on. Sounds like a really neat program.

Gerard
03-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Okay, 'fessin' up time I guess.
~ About an hour in the morning for forums and PPC news, 2 hours if there's something fun happening in a few threads.
~ Roughly an hour a day with nPOP, deleting spam taking probably 2 minutes of that, the rest for reading new mail and replying.
~ About 5 or 6 hours a month in chats with a friend, a brother, and a software developer or two, typed or VoIP, so that averages about 11 minutes or more a day in MS Portrait.
~ Probably an hour a day in fixing setups that go funky or could just be better, tweaking registry junk, and software testing. Backups take about 5 minutes, including copying the PBK files into a second card and soft resetting, but I'm including that time in the hour.
~ General Pocket IE use for seeking out new software to try or new versions of the 100 or so programs I use; about 20-30 minutes a day.
~ Gaming; perhaps 15 minutes a day, especially with DeepDownRace (http://www.geocities.com/bonelyfish/ddr) - my high score seems to be the only one there, and it's WAY out of date, as I'm over 180,000 now- Doom, and Cantris, all on my Casio EG-800 (the iPAQ is a joke for games with the silly clicky directional pad).
~ Writing; about 30 minutes a day for stuff not forum related.
~ Photography with CF camera and relate Pocket Artist use to amend various defects in the captures got by the Pretec (and before that the Casio CF camera); about 20 minutes a day, maybe, for work documentation and family stuff.
~ Reading in µbook; about 30 minutes before bed, with the odd session still in MS Reader where only a LIT version was available.
gack. That's a bit over 6 hours a day. Dang. I'm goin' to hell, for sure. In hell there will be no Pocket PCs. Only Palms. And I'll be clueless and have to beg some flame-baiting Palmie for tweaking tips. Man, that's gonna be rough.

mshanks
03-24-2003, 01:20 AM
I use my PPC quite often. I start my day with the news in the morning, a little surfing on the WLAN @ work by late morning :lol: , then it gets it's fair share of use @ school 8O , with updates on email and MS Money throughout the day. :D I would say probably 10-15 times per day for at least 7-10 minutes at a time.

Ed Hansberry
03-24-2003, 02:30 AM
• 45min each morning listening to the WSJ from Audible
• About 30min per day in Pocket Informant
• 30-60min in Daily Reader and Pocket Bible
• 5-60min in Palm Reader (depends on how tired I am at night)
• 15-20 min a day messing with stuff for answers in the .pocketpc newsgroup.
• Then throw in another 30min a day in other apps like eWallet, Listpro, etc.

Of course, it depends too on how my day goes. I recently spent about 8 hours over 3 days in a seminar and I had Pocket MindMap open the whole time and took copious notes. I may go 3-4 days without opening Pocket Word and then turn around and spend a few hours over several days on a small document. Same for things like Avantgo, thought I am rapidly enjoying "printing" off articles I want to read via Repligo and use Avantgo more for weather and a quick hit list of things to read in more detail via Repligo.

ninjaturtle
03-24-2003, 02:33 AM
I mainly use my axim for reminders and task. -15 mins
Read some avantgo channels during break and lunch at work -45 mins
Messing around with apps I just found -30mins

Showing my workmates the latest cool thing I did with my Pocket PC takes another 20 minutes
lol, same with me.

yawanag
03-24-2003, 02:43 AM
Guess I'd have to say 24hrs.

I begin reading the Bible and several Daily Devotionals when I wake up. I sync and check mail.
I play games and because it is also a phone I call and talk on it all day.
I fall asleep every night playing games and waking up noticing that my stylus has fallen out of my hand or tapped something silly in the game I was playing.

ctmagnus
03-24-2003, 02:49 AM
2-3 hrs, sometimes up to 4 or 5, but please don't ask me to break it down. That would require concious thought.

Weyoun6
03-24-2003, 03:12 AM
Seems like the average is about two hours. I would guess that would be me too. (I thought it thru, didnt really count reading on my ppc.) I wonder if this info would be helpful to developers, like average daily use, battery life, etc...

Reinaldo
03-24-2003, 04:37 AM
I guess its my turn.

Checking Schdeule all day: 20 Minutes.
Reading either MobiPocket, AvantGo, Mazingo (if it works). 40 Minutes all day.
Watching the news using Sync&Go and a 128 MB card: 30-60 Minutes.
Documents/Workbooks: 2 Hours.

Showing my workmates the latest cool thing I did with my Pocket PC takes another 20 minutes
lol, same with me.
Ditto.
Playing games: 15 Minutes.
Tinkering with my iPAQ: 15 minutes.
Reading the Wall street Journal until I fall asleep: 5 minutes.

morpheoussc400
03-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Too much... 30-40 min. playing Cropped out or Snowed In. About 20-25 min. check shed. taking notes, 30-35 working on spread sheets, 1-2 hrs surfing the net (oops your not supposed to know that after all I am at work). Impressing the heck out of my buddies at work ( I have an IPAQ 5455... they trip over the finger print scanner) You get the picture... All in all anywhere from 3-7 hrs a day. THIS IS AN AVERAGE, sometimes it's considerably more...

My wife is beginning to wonder what I love more her or...... :D

dean_shan
03-24-2003, 07:15 AM
my restroom time is getting longer than before I own PPC. Just wait until you get a wireless card

Dragon779
03-24-2003, 07:26 AM
I use mine about an hour a day.

I use it for Agenda Fusion, nintendo emulator (what can I say, a blast from the past :D ) and I keep my journal on there. I use a little Advantgo too, but not much. Gotta love that journal bar program too.

ppcsurfr
03-24-2003, 10:21 AM
As much as I can...

If I can use it for 24 hrs straight... I'd actually do that.

But now I use it at a minimum of about an hour to a max of 6 hrs a day... If I play games, I actually plug in and add about another 4 to 6 hrs above that. 8O

ppcsurfr

TopDog
03-24-2003, 10:57 AM
I use my PPC for about 4 hours a day, and 65% of the time online (measured with PPCusage).

pocketpcdude1024
03-24-2003, 12:14 PM
I can't enumerate the time I spend with my Pocket PC. All I can say is that I need to charge it daily. :rock on dude!:

wocket
03-24-2003, 01:45 PM
From first thing in the morning. Check my email via my wireless link. Get sync'd with mazingo same way. Head off to work. Check my shedule. Drink coffee and Check pocketpcthoughts (on my desktop in work) :D . Listen to mp3's on my way home from work. Get home do more or less the same thing again.

I don't think I use my laptop as often as I used to.

jffcurt
03-24-2003, 01:53 PM
8-10 hrs aday. I have connected to my desktop at work. Automatically syncing new appointments and contacts.

acronym
03-24-2003, 08:18 PM
guess I'm not much of a ppc power user. mine gets used less than 30 min/day -

I'm in front of laptops and desktops pretty much 10 hours a day. The ppc is mostly a place to keep appointments and contacts handy - and a data shuttle between multiple computers. oh, and a small database of codes that I keep referring to.

Sunnyone
03-24-2003, 08:26 PM
It depends on the day. :wink:

Some days about 30 minutes - others up to 4 hours. I'm not allowed to synch at work :? but I synch at home about every other day. I heavily use Pocket Informant, Audible, ebooks, Microsoft Money for PPC, Pocket Journal and use others 3-4 times per week (Monopoly, Pocket Journal, ListPro, Snails).

dean_shan
03-25-2003, 02:39 AM
I use my Pocket PC more on trips for book reading and music listening. Normal day use varies as well. Somedays when I am bored I will play a game or few or how much data I need to look up.

pocketpcdude1024
03-25-2003, 12:09 PM

Ofer Heijmans
Dooblo
www.dooblo.com

Just bought it! :D It's great!

rzanology
03-28-2003, 05:53 PM
i don't know about you guys....but ALL DAY pretty much sums it up for me(really....im not kidding :) )

ctmagnus
03-28-2003, 10:11 PM
2-3 hrs, sometimes up to 4 or 5, but please don't ask me to break it down. That would require concious thought.

Also, more than any individual desktop around here except the 486, but that kinda speaks for itself.

pocketpcdude1024
03-28-2003, 10:19 PM

Also, more than any individual desktop around here except the 486, but that kinda speaks for itself.

Quoting yourself, eh? :lol:

ctmagnus
03-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Quoting yourself, eh? :lol:

Actually, the first one was one of my other personalities. :lol: