View Full Version : Eulogy Given On The HP Jornada 575

Ed Hansberry
03-22-2003, 02:39 PM
<a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/Jornada_575_review">http://www.brighthand.com/article/Jornada_575_review</a><br /><br />Perry Henderson reviews the HP Jornada 575, the successor to the 565 that fell victim to the HP/Compaq merger. The 575 was basically a 565 with a 400MHz X-Scale PXA-250 processor, 64MB of RAM and 32MB of ROM.<br /><br />Jornada 575, we hardly knew you. :cry:

lurch
03-22-2003, 03:00 PM
I think I would've liked to at least meet the 575..

I adore my 567 -- nothing more stylish out there as far as I'm concerned, and performance has never been lacking! (but I don't necessarily push the limits)

So goodbye Jornadas... :mecry:

pocketpcdude1024
03-22-2003, 03:12 PM
http://www.brighthand.com/images/j575_front.gifhttp://www.infosync.no/news/2002/04/25/gfx/hp_jornada_560_01.jpg

They really don't look all that different... :?

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2003, 03:18 PM
If it ain't broke.......... :?

(And it wasn't! :|)

Ed Hansberry
03-22-2003, 04:05 PM
They really don't look all that different... :?
No, just like the 3800 and its successor 3900. Except the 3900 got the transflective screen. The 575 still had the reflective screen prone to dust collection.

lurch
03-22-2003, 04:20 PM
The 575 still had the reflective screen prone to dust collection.

Not according to his statement here...

The good news is no dust. The screen is sealed, so any problems with dust particles seem to be a thing of the past.

Ed Hansberry
03-22-2003, 04:29 PM
The 575 still had the reflective screen prone to dust collection.

Not according to his statement here...

The good news is no dust. The screen is sealed, so any problems with dust particles seem to be a thing of the past.
The iPAQ 3800 was sealed too but not dust proof. Not nearly as prone to dust as the 565 or 3600, but that seal can be broken and dust can get between the screen and touch serface.

Transflective is the way to go. The way it is built prohibits dust, just like the backlit screens of the Casio E1x5 series.

Paragon
03-22-2003, 05:17 PM
The iPAQ 3800 was sealed too but not dust proof. Not nearly as prone to dust as the 565 or 3600, but that seal can be broken and dust can get between the screen and touch surface.

Transflective is the way to go. The way it is built prohibits dust, just like the backlit screens of the Casio E1x5 series.

Even if the seal doesn't get broken there can be an accumulation of dust (glass) particles inside the seal caused be tiny pieces of glass wearing off the edges of the screen and working their way into the visible are. Moderating a busy Jornada forum I read hundreds of posts on the subject of dust. I found that actual dust seemed to be a small part of the problem. Most reports of dust were actually glass particles, that glowed when hit by the side light. Although sealing the screens went a very long way towards fixing the problem, it still showed up occasionally after a screen had been sealed.

Screens that are backlit probably have as much dust but with the light coming directly from the back it does have the same effect as sidelit screens throwing the light across the screen highlighting all the particles, and adding shadows.

Dave

Skoobouy
03-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I know this, since it happened to me. My PPCTechs-sealed Jornada started getting more partices about eight months after service. Normally it would be covered by their ad hock warranty, but I'm in Europe so shipping is prohibitively expensive.

Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. As another Brighthand article cleverly said, the iPaq 1910 is the love-child of the Jornada 568 and the 02 XDA. I think that the Jornada will live on in multiple devices in different forms.

ppcsurfr
03-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. As another Brighthand article cleverly said, the iPaq 1910 is the love-child of the Jornada 568 and the 02 XDA. I think that the Jornada will live on in multiple devices in different forms.

And that's why I have an iPAQ h1910 :D

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Screens that are backlit probably have as much dust
Correct. If you take a heavily-used e1xx unit out in the bright sun with it off, you'll notice a fair amount of dust. It's unnoticeable when you're using it, though, because of the backlight.

--janak

mscdex
03-22-2003, 07:44 PM
There is a Jornada 575 for sale on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3014570302&rd=1

mc_03
03-22-2003, 07:47 PM
The one on ebay is this 575, note that the seller is phenderson- Perry Henderson.

Also another cosmetic difference is that the case is bluish as opposed to grey- compare the pics of the 565 and 575. The pictures in that ebay link clearly show a Palm m130 style blue casing.

DrtyBlvd
03-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Screens that are backlit probably have as much dust
Correct. If you take a heavily-used e1xx unit out in the bright sun with it off, you'll notice a fair amount of dust. It's unnoticeable when you're using it, though, because of the backlight.

--janak

Not on any of the four I have had / two that I still have... :lol:

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Not on any of the four I have had / two that I still have... :lol:
Hmm. Impressive. I've seen dust enter in just about every PDA, watch, and cell phone I've had, myself. Maybe I'm just a dustier person. Of course, I go through the subway every day. :lol:

--janak

Paragon
03-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Maybe I'm just a dustier person. Of course, I go through the subway every day. :lol:

--janak

Hmmm....at the rate that you post, Janak, I can't see much dust settling on you. :)

I think you would be hard pressed to find many bigger Jornada boosters than myself.......Having said that, when you look at the specs, and performance of the HP575 I think HP made the right decision to pull it.......I can't believe I said that outloud! It would be at the bottom of the list. It needed one or two of the following: Reflective screen, second slot (SD) Bluetooth, WiFi, or GPRS. It had the great form factor of the HP560 but nothing else to carry it on into the next generation.

Dave

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 08:52 PM
Hmmm....at the rate that you post, Janak, I can't see much dust settling on you. :)
Heh. This coming from the man who has nearly 3,600 posts between here and PPCP.

It had the great form factor of the HP560 but nothing else to carry it on into the next generation.
I do think that if they had put a transflective display in there it would have been one solid device. Admittedly, it's only CF-Ie, but that's still a step up from the iPaq.

--janak

guinness
03-22-2003, 09:54 PM
It seems more like the 575 was a boosted-568, the screen was essentially the same, as was the case, but the guts of the machine are different. With a few ROM tweaks and transflective screen, it probably would have been successful.

jd4science
03-22-2003, 09:57 PM
He calls the axim as having a 1500 mAH battery, but I think it only has 1440 mAH, correct?

Paragon
03-22-2003, 10:30 PM
He calls the axim as having a 1500 mAH battery, but I think it only has 1440 mAH, correct?

Yup!

Paragon
03-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Heh. This coming from the man who has nearly 3,600 posts between here and PPCP.

It had the great form factor of the HP560 but nothing else to carry it on into the next generation.
I do think that if they had put a transflective display in there it would have been one solid device. Admittedly, it's only CF-Ie, but that's still a step up from the iPaq.

--janak

Ha! If you only new how many posts I lost when Dale's server crashed, plus what I lost in a crash of a different type at Brighthand. :-)

I'm with you on the screen. I would take a transflective screen, and a CF slot over a non IO SD slot and no removeable battery any day.

Dave

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Ha! If you only new how many posts I lost when Dale's server crashed, plus what I lost in a crash of a different type at Brighthand. :-)
Yup, I lost a bit too in that crash. I was also a frequent poster on the Buzz... man, how much time have we waste...err...spent on these sites? ;)

I'm with you on the screen. I would take a transflective screen, and a CF slot over a non IO SD slot and no removeable battery any day.
BTW, what I never understood about the 560 and 570 series is why HP never tried to support CF type II. Ie is pretty close as it is...

--janak

Paragon
03-22-2003, 11:14 PM
I always figured that by the time HP discovered their mistake in not making it type II it really didn't matter much. By the time the 560 hit the market, one of the few type II cards was the Microdrive, and not much else.

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
03-23-2003, 02:18 AM
I was also a frequent poster on the Buzz... man, how much time have we waste...err...spent on these sites? ;)

There's probably a PPC app to tell you. :lol:

I know the feeling, PDABuzz & now here. The thing is - it's so much more than PDAs - it all the interesting people and all the 'tech' news. It's also really good when a good thread gets 'promoted' onto the front page so we can all join in. :D It's the community really isn't it? :mrgreen:

phenderson
03-23-2003, 03:05 AM
actionally I thought I had mentioned that the Dell Axim battery was 1440 mAh...

I think the Jornada 575 would have been a strong PPC contenter in the non-transflective ppc market.

I had an unfinished OS on mine. A few tweaks here and there, and who knows.