View Full Version : USB card reader and Ipaq 3970

Matty
03-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I am thinking of purchasing an Ipaq 3970. Has anybody tested, or is aware of, whether you can plug a USB card reader to the Ipaq and have access to your data in that way (ie listen to your mp3’s stored in your Memory Stick)? Do you need specific drivers to do that? I know that when I use my USB 7 in 1 Card Reader (SM/MMC/SD/CF/Microdrive/Mstick) with a PC I don't need to install any drivers if it runs windows Me/2000/XP. However it needs the drivers if it is to use in with a Win98 PC. Will a Pocket PC recognise it?
If that is not possible with a 3970, are there any other Pocket PC's that you can easily attach any USB card reader to them? Thanks

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 04:56 PM
I am thinking of purchasing an Ipaq 3970. Has anybody tested, or is aware of, whether you can plug a USB card reader to the Ipaq and have access to your data in that way (ie listen to your mp3’s stored in your Memory Stick)?
You cannot easily do this. It'll be much easier to get a Memory Stick-capable sleeve (http://www.pitech.com/hardware/iCFMS/ipCFMS_index.htm) for the iPaq.

There are other Pocket PCs that have "USB host" functionality and might work with USB readers, but the problem is that there must first be drivers for those readers... I think someone has built a "USB Mass Storage Driver" but I don't think it supports the multi-card readers.

But, when all is said and done, why not just by an SD card? Do you have a massive investment in Memory Sticks?

--janak