View Full Version : Coverless Cases

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 11:00 PM
I'm starting to notice a new trend in cases: a solution that doesn't actually cover the screen. Here's a new case that Vaja just announced for the iPaq 5450 series units: the Vader, which is now available for purchase (http://www.vajacases.com/Vaja/catalogo.nsf/SelProdsEN/cu2612) as a custom unit.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/parekh/news/20030319-Vaja-Vader.jpg

Before you stop, scratch your head, and think "what's the use of a coverless case", read on. I've been playing with one, and I have some thoughts about it. <!>

Most of these cases have come out for the Pocket PC Phone Edition, where there is a very tangible problem with classic cases: you often want to be able to hold the phone up to your ear, and would rather not have a cover flap around while doing so. Just as importantly, you'd like to be able to use the device with just one-hand. Vaja's T-Buron II (http://www.vajacases.com/Vaja/catalogo.nsf/SelProdsEN/2411s) case fits this bill perfectly: the screen and buttons are accessible as soon as you retrieve the unit from your pocket, so you can pull it out, hit the Dial button, and dial the number by tapping the screen with your free thumb.

The big concern, of course, is dealing with the fact that there's no hard protective cover over the screen. I was worried about this as well, until I got my T-Buron II case. It turns out the padding on the sides actually serves as decent impact and pressure protection: the screen is recessed more because the front is specially padded, which prevents the screen from impacting the ground and cracking in the case of a fall. It also prevents the screen from touching my leg when I put it into a pocket. It's not foolproof and it's not for everyone, but the relatively small tradeoff in protection is worth it to me. Additionally, the padding in the front eliminates contact between your face and the screen, eliminating the dreaded "face grease" problem.

Of course, a custom Vaja case is not going to be a cheap option. It's therefore worth mentioning that other manufacturers have started to latch onto this idea as well: both Krussell (http://www.krusell.se/artnews/NEWsCASE021211.htm) and a smaller maker, Batari (http://www.doml.com.sg/product.asp?id=747), have produced coverless cases for the HTC Pocket PC Phone. And in an interesting twist, Proporta is planning on making a case that is covers the screen (http://www.proporta.com/detail.asp?id=367), but not the earpiece (thereby giving additional protection but losing the one-handedness of the other products).

What do you think about this idea? Interesting, or utterly insane?

(I'll eventually write up a detailed review of the T-Buron II, so if you want detailed pictures, wait a couple of weeks. ;))

Paragon
03-19-2003, 11:07 PM
$130.00 USD??..... :byebye:

That's $200.00 CDN plus $30.00 taxes, $25.00 brokerage fee. Plus shipping....that's over $250.00 CDN. To be honest I didn't pay that much for my first car.......and it had a roof on it. 8O

Dave

Will T Smith
03-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Yes,

I did read the article ...

AND ...

A POCKET PC CASE WITHOUT A COVER IS USELESS !!!!!!!!

I order to protect the screen, you have to cover it when it's not in use. Some may have to wait till they scratch or crack their screen to figure this out. However, I think that most people get this to begin with.

rberry88
03-19-2003, 11:31 PM
It looks nice and I can understand the reasoning for no cover for PDA phone usage but for $130, wow.

The three things that will keep me from buying this case:

1) No hole for the reset button (unless it just isn't labeled)
2) PRICE
3) Inability to use expansion sleeve. I love having an SD card in its slot and a CF card also, hey it's just me I guess.

rberry88 :microwave:

jizmo
03-19-2003, 11:48 PM
Is it just me or does that iPAQ in the case on look a bit kinky? :lol:

/jizmo

etalianstallion
03-19-2003, 11:53 PM
For me, the main purpose for having the case is to protect the screen, and I don't really see any way around this than to have a cover over it. Sure, it may make the case slightly thicker, but a PPC is no good to me with a damaged screen. I do like those push-through buttons....very sleek.

...and that is quite pricey for a case, at least for my taste....

DrtyBlvd
03-20-2003, 12:28 AM

/jizmo

Perv :grinning devil:

brianchris
03-20-2003, 12:50 AM
At first, I was thinking similar thoughts, that a case with no screen protection is of little value. However, your comments made sense, and while I agree its not for everyone, I'd at least consider it after your article where I wouldn't of before hand.

HOWEVER, I just recently purchased (and just recieved via UPS today) a Vaja i-Volution Morpheus III case for my new iPaq 5455 (which, of course has a big flip cover), so I won't be considering another case for a long time (given the cost was around $150), but I don't need to......the case I recieved is soooooo sweet.

Yea, its a lot to pay for a case, but when you think about it, next to the actual PDA itself, you fidgit with the case on an everyday basis (attaching to belt, inserting PDA, syncing, removing PDA, opening lid [if you have screen protection]).....how many other accessories or software can you say that about? Believe me, I've used less expensive (and therefore less custom fitting and lower quality) cases for years on my previous iPaqs (3630 and 3835).......with the 5455, I decided its time for luxury (i.e. absolute custom fit, syncable in the case, etc. etc.), and now that I have the case, I don't regret the decission one bit.

-Brian

DrtyBlvd
03-20-2003, 01:13 AM
Congrats on your purchase. Don't feel self conscious sniffing it every now and then. It's rather satisfying, and you won't be alone in your desires :twisted:

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 02:15 AM
Yea, its a lot to pay for a case, but when you think about it, next to the actual PDA itself, you fidgit with the case on an everyday basis (attaching to belt, inserting PDA, syncing, removing PDA, opening lid [if you have screen protection]).....how many other accessories or software can you say that about?
Yes, the Vaja i-Volution cases are all that. They are indeed a bit overpriced (or as Paragon might say, a lot overpriced), but they are indeed the best.

The only problem with them is that if you switch PDAs frequently, it's a little expensive.

--janak

wizardmaster2k
03-20-2003, 03:03 AM
i like the idea, i use a brando all the time, and they are heavy duty protectors. i would love a case like this for the axim. but at a good price that is.

mike6024
03-20-2003, 03:23 AM
I order to protect the screen, you have to cover it when it's not in use. Some may have to wait till they scratch or crack their screen to figure this out. However, I think that most people get this to begin with.

I don't think that's quite true. I put my ppc in my pocket all the time (sometimes with a case, sometimes without) and haven't had a scratch or crack yet. And I'm on my 3rd one. As long as you don't keep your keys in the same pocket or play football with it in your pocket, I think you'd be fine.

yawanag
03-20-2003, 04:16 AM
So, we're back to the Vaja cases again. I already spoke my piece on that. They make a fabulous case with an equally fabulous price. I like the idea of the push buttons.

I'm one that wants a cover before I pull my PDA out of the box. Just don't want to take chances of scratching the screen. Use a screen protector, too.

People have laughed and told me I look like I'm talking into a shoe like the old Smart series but that doesn't bother me. I've dropped it a couple of times and picked it up and kept on going. That's my main reason for a cover - SECURITY.

Looxer
03-20-2003, 09:05 AM
I go crazy for leather cases :lol: I have a few different kinds of PDA cases and wallets for some occasions, for example I have one for the weekend :sunny: , luxurious case for official business trips or meetings (can be used when you go for dating! :ppclove: ) and one for long travels for carrying accessories such as batteries :armed: , they all come in different colors and sizes. I like this concept of cases personally I was waiting for a coverless case especially from Vaja. Immediately when I saw the announcement I didn’t hesitate to make an order. I think it is about personal taste, fashion and style :Fade-color ; women are picky and choosy in this field though. You can always switch between cases. But truth to be told, it is not worth all that money, iPAQ original plastic case the one that comes in the box is enough. But there is a desire for everything… Do you agree?! :wink:

Jason Lee
03-20-2003, 04:17 PM
I currently have 2 cases for my Toshiba.

This one (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0178142247.1048172032@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadchlehfghhcgfkceghdgngdglk.0&comm=ST&plin=Cases-Security&pfam=PDA%20Cases&poid=209736&Adoid=182644) which is just a pouch with a swivel clip. It holds my ppc securly, i can sync and charge in the case, and when i remove the ppc from the case i don't have to deal with the case. This case also allows access to the head phone jack so i can :rock on dude!: while walking around. This is the case i take to classes and meetings with me. Places where i take notes while sitting down and really don't want to be bothered by the case. This is also the type of case i would want for a ppc phone.

and this one (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=200589&pcount=&Product_Id=125897&Section.Section_Path=%2F%2FRoot%2FMobileSolutions%2FPDAAccessories%2FCases%2F). The case it self pretty much sux. the opening for the screen and the speaker don't line up at all. But it protects my ppc alot more than the other case. I feel safer walking around inside and out with this case. This case has ridgid edges around it unlike the other so my ppc is much safer if dropped. Also i got this case as an open box item at Best Buy for $8.99US. The clip was missing but oddly enough it was the same clip as the previous case. :lol:
I use this case at work (i am constantly on the move doing tech support). Much better for the occasional fumble.

I would love to have a vaja case. I wanted one for years for my ipaqs and finally broke down and bought one for my 3800. Ooooohh what a case.. Then i upgraded to the toshiba shortly after... :splat:
I really want the vaja case for my e740. They are definetly worth the price. (any one who has ever had one would agree :wink: )
However I plan on getting the samsung i700 as soon as sprint getts it. soo... :( Oh well....

MLO
03-20-2003, 05:05 PM
EB makes a similar looking case for the Toshiba e3xx series...only it has a flip cover to protect the screen. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.

MLO

ExtremeSIMS
03-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Don't feel self conscious sniffing it every now and then. It's rather satisfying, and you won't be alone in your desires :twisted:

Man, there are some pervs on this forum. :lol:

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Man, there are some pervs on this forum. :lol:
The scary part is, not really. Is there anyone here that bought a Vaja case and didn't get a whiff of the leather smell on it? :razzing:

--janak

Jason Lee
03-20-2003, 05:19 PM
The scary part is, not really. Is there anyone here that bought a Vaja case and didn't get a whiff of the leather smell on it? :razzing:

--janak

hehehe I used to offer mine to people and ask "wanna sniff?" Funny thing is people would.. and enjoy it. :lol:

Sick? Twisted? You bet! :mrgreen:

possmann
03-20-2003, 05:53 PM
That is all I really have to say - Why? What is the purpose of this case - surely not to protect the sprayed on metallic finish...

I am curious to see how popular this case will be/how many folks will actually buy this.

Cases without covers just seem useless.

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 06:14 PM
That is all I really have to say - Why? What is the purpose of this case - surely not to protect the sprayed on metallic finish...
Actually, yes, sort of. Impact protection-- in theory, the case absorbes the shock of the impact, the screen meets nothing but air, and everything is intact.

--janak

Looxer
03-27-2003, 10:14 PM
http://www.vajacases.com/vaja/catalogo.nsf/htmlmedia/2612_comb/$file/beach_jean.jpghttp://www.vajacases.com/vaja/catalogo.nsf/htmlmedia/t68ic_comb/$file/cbeach_jean.jpg

Unreal32
03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
What's the point of a case with no cover? I'd rather have a cover with no case (like my current iPaq with the smoky cover on it).

Unreal32
03-31-2003, 05:08 PM

/jizmo

It says on the web site that it comes with a riding crop, too. :wink: