View Full Version : WiFi Home Networking

etalianstallion
03-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Got a question on WiFi networking that maybe someone here can help me with. I'm certainly no expert in this area but I think this is a great knowledge pool here at PocketPCThoughts.

Currently I am using a Dlink Wireless Router 614+ in my home. In some areas of my house it is pretty difficult to get a signal.

Let's say I purchase a second router. My current router would have the uplink from my cable modem. Can I place the second router in the house somewhere and have the 2 routers connect using the wireless signals?

Does that make any sense, and is it even possible?

Sven Johannsen
03-19-2003, 10:36 PM
I don't think so. That is not how the AP portion of the router/ap is designed to work. What you really want is a bridge. I am assuming you plan to wire things to the second wireless box. It certainly won't act as a repeater. Linksys sells a wireless bridge, WET11, that might help.

You could also do what I did and get just an Access Point. It is cabled to the first AP/Router/switch, and place at the other end of the house.

A simpler solution is just to more centrally locate the existing AP/Router, though that might not be as easy to do as it is to suggest it.