View Full Version : Which PPC should I buy?

dh
03-18-2003, 07:03 PM
I have been sitting on the fence forever, but I am finally ready to buy a new Pocket PC.

I’ve narrowed my choice to three that I think meet my needs. Of course all have their pros and cons. I’m going to use this device for contact management, email and will also use for MP3s and maybe books, movies etc in time. The first applications I will buy are PI and @mail.

Ipaq 5450
Pros
Great screen
Good build quality and styling
Embedded WiFi and BT
Could go to store and get one today!

Cons.
Only one expansion slot
Can’t use cheap CF memory (without expansion pack)
Expensive
I’m not interested in the fingerprint stuff

Dell Axim 400MH
Pros
Great screen
Good build quality and styling
Great price
Two expansion slots

Cons.
No SDIO means I would not be able to use cheap CF memory card
Can’t go to a store and get one now!
No embedded BT or WiFi means purchase of CF WiFi card

Toshiba e750
Pros.
Good screen (hopefully)
Embedded WiFi
Newest processor, should improve speed (hopefully)
More memory than most PPCs
New processor and screen should improve battery life over e740 (hopefully)
Two expansion slots
Would be able to use cheap CF memory cards

Cons
Unproven
Can’t go and buy from the store today
Seem to have been many issues with e740

I would be very interested to read you guys comments on my choices and maybe you could give me some direction. I’ve been a Palm user since 3Comm days and I still like the Sony NX60. I hate the Memory Stick though, which is the biggest turnoff.

Thanks for your input.

PetiteFlower
03-18-2003, 08:25 PM
I just can't see how spending $700 on the 5450 could be justified unless you're going to use the fingerprint stuff or you need sleeve expandability for something. You can get the Axim plus a 512m SD card plus a CF wifi card for $540! SD memory is a little more expensive then CF but not THAT much; I bet the 1g cards will be around the $200 mark within 3 months.

As for the e750, it doesn't even exist yet, so I can't possibly recommend it!

I love my Dell, just about every Dell user on here loves their Dell, get the Dell!

bobkatt
03-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Look at it this way, which is the cheapest unit out of the 3?

Dell right? Therefore paying a little more for the SD memory is not a big dealsince you're already saving loads by buying Dell. This being said, why can you not use a CF memory anyways? It has a CF slot too.

You cannot have everything but the Dell comes close.
Using a WI FI card from Sandisk that has built in memory allows you to have dual functionality in one slot while still leaving your SD slot free for even more memory.

If you decide right now and order a Dell, you will have it eventually.
Comparing these 3 any further beyond this point and saying Dell is not available on the shelf is just an excuse to delay even further.

Just my 1 cent. . .

Bob

pez
03-18-2003, 09:07 PM
First off.. I saw the e750 out on the shelves at frys.. so plz dont say "it doesnt exist yet"

Now for my thoughts.. Id go for the Dell.. Mainly because its cheap.. its great... its fast.. its got dual slots for your memory.. and does what you need.. plus cheap wifi cards can be found at compusa almost every other weak on sale..

Also the Dell Axims have been shipping with PXA250 C1 Stepping chips.. Which I believe is the unnamed PXA255 chips.. benchmarks at Aximsite from forum users have shown there is a significant increase when comparing the C1 to a the B2 chips.. So research on that some more

-Pez

PetiteFlower
03-18-2003, 09:20 PM
I must be confused then, I thought the e750 wasn't out yet :oops:

So hard to keep up with all these different stupid letters/numbers!

GC4062
03-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Hey dh, you and I are at the same decision point!

I'm thinking long and hard about which PPC will be next for me.

I've looked at everything you have mentioned, and I have concerns about the iPAQ 5450, especially after seeing 4 software pack fixes released in a one month or so time frame. Makes me wonder if the product was rushed to market without the appropriate testing performed (in my old Bay Street days, we never put anything into production without "hammer testing" it first in the labs). I have had the chance to hold a 5450 and use it, but, like yourself, I find the fingerprint thing unnecessary for my usage of the unit (when I'm on the road, my PPC does everything I need until I get a spot where I can unpack the old notebook that my company gave me for working from home - which I do full time now).

I looked at an e750 my last trip to the US, and was sufficiently impressed with it to move it to the top of my list. And if I replace my Merlin G100 card with a Toshiba CF GPRS card, I wouldn't have need for an expansion pack to be wireless on the road if I wasn't near a WiFi hotspot.

I discounted the Dell after reading about all the activesync problems I have read about members of this site having. I have a Jornada 568 that is now a little over a year old, and I have yet to have any major problems (knock on wood) with activesync. I wish activesync did more for mail synchronization than it currently does, but that is a function of software, not the hardware.

My poor little Toshiba 2520CDS notebook breathed it's last breath last month, and I'm stuck using my work notebook for personal and business use (I prefer to keep them separate), and I was at an Intel demonstration site here in Toronto yesterday and had the chance to use the new Toshiba notebooks, and I'm leaning heavily toward purchasing a Tecra M1 to replace my old 2520. Or, alternately the Portege 3500 Tablet PC.

If you wouldn't mind, could you drop me a note when your survey results are in, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what the recommendations are, but I'm thinking more and more towards purchasing the e750 to replace my hp 568. If it's not in Canada at the time, I'll get one of the folks in my company's New York office to buy it for me and FedEx it up with my monthly package of paperwork.

Thanks,
Jim

dh
03-18-2003, 10:21 PM
If you decide right now and order a Dell, you will have it eventually.
Comparing these 3 any further beyond this point and saying Dell is not available on the shelf is just an excuse to delay even further.

Just my 1 cent. . .

Bob

OK Bob, you are right. I've been delaying this for ever so it's decision time. I went ahead and ordered the Dell today with 250MB SD card. I'll get a WiFi card from one of the local stores.

Dell say that my order will be shipped on or before March 20 which is not too bad.

With the money I've saved over the others, I've also ordered a Sene case although this is backordered and might be a couple of weeks.

Jim had mentioned the sync problems that some people run into with the Axim and I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue. I have quite a few folders in my Outlook email. Oh well, we shall see.

One thing I might have to do is buy another one soon. My nine year old daughter and I both use Palm Vx's and exchange a lot of things. Looks like she will need a PPC as well before long.

Richard S
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
I just went through the same considerations. My trusty old iPaq 3650 finally went, and I debated between the new Toshiba, iPaq and Dell. Ended up going for the Dell. I ordered Sunday afternoon and it just arrived at home. Not bad. Really, the price point was the difference maker. Like folks have said, you can add accessories (WiFi, memory,keyboard) and still end up well below some of the other PPCs.

Good luck.

bobkatt
03-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi David:

Thanks for the Abbot. Wish it was for real cause I could use a real cold one right about now. :-)

Bob

dh
03-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Hi David:

Thanks for the Abbot. Wish it was for real cause I could use a real cold one right about now. :-)

Bob

I'm making do with a Yuengling Lager myself at the moment. :jester:

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 01:11 AM
It seems to me that the AS problems I've been reading about are NOT specific to the Dell but are general problems with the program....

dh
03-19-2003, 01:34 AM
It seems to me that the AS problems I've been reading about are NOT specific to the Dell but are general problems with the program....

This is the only thing that worries me about switching from Palm to PPC. Hotsync with the Palm just works, you start it and don't give it a thought.

AS seems to be more of an adventure from what I have read.

Are there any third party sync programs that work for the PPC?

And what about this great weather in the Phila area??

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 02:51 AM
An adventure would be putting it kindly :) But it's still better then Palm!

But you're right about the weather, 3 more days till spring thank god!

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 02:53 AM
This is the only thing that worries me about switching from Palm to PPC. Hotsync with the Palm just works, you start it and don't give it a thought.
While I can't guarantee the same for Pocket PC, it's worth mentioning that for most people, ActiveSync works without too many problems. In general, I've had very few problems in the last few years once I got used to it.

--janak

dh
03-19-2003, 03:03 AM
While I can't guarantee the same for Pocket PC, it's worth mentioning that for most people, ActiveSync works without too many problems. In general, I've had very few problems in the last few years once I got used to it.

--janak

If I have any problems I will get in touch with Jason. He seems to be the resident champion of AS. :rofl:

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 03:17 AM
If I have any problems I will get in touch with Jason. He seems to be the resident champion of AS. :rofl:
:D

Actually, as many people point out, the people on these boards are very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask if you have problems. When I have time, I've got a pending article to write on ActiveSync tips... well, it'll be part of a new column coming soon to PPCT. :D

--janak

dh
03-19-2003, 03:36 AM
:D

Actually, as many people point out, the people on these boards are very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask if you have problems. When I have time, I've got a pending article to write on ActiveSync tips... well, it'll be part of a new column coming soon to PPCT. :D

--janak

Yes, I've noticed that the people here are very helpful and I'm sure I'm going to have a few questions.

I'm going to have to make a new Avitar as well. I'm sure I've made a good choice with the Axim, it should be delivered in a couple of days.

GSibble
03-19-2003, 11:19 AM
None of you have mentioned the greatest part about the IPaq 5450....its transflective screen. You are going to be looking at this screen constantly so for me that was a very important point.

I also use both bluetooth and WiFi constantly. I am always in contact with my email either through GPRS/Bluetooth or a direct WiFi connection so having both was a must for me. So, if anyone needed both, they couldn't get an Axim until a wifi/bluetooth combo CF card came out (probably never, they both take up too much foom). And the IPaq does have SDIO, allowing for all SD cards possible. Not to mention the sleeve expandability system. I found the IPaq 5450 really to be stronger in so many ways because of all the hardware built in with larger expandability capabilities.

-George

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 05:06 PM
None of you have mentioned the greatest part about the IPaq 5450....its transflective screen. You are going to be looking at this screen constantly so for me that was a very important point.
The e750, Axim, and iPaq all have transflective screens. The iPaq might be slightly better, and is larger than the Axim's, but they should be nearly identical overall.

--janak

bobkatt
03-19-2003, 05:15 PM
At the end of the day, we are all beast that like deals.
The iPAQ is a great PDA for something that needs everything that it comes with. Biometric is a nice to have and not a need to have.
It is rare at this stage that most people will use Bluetooth, Wi Fi and cellular access all at the same time. In most cases one at a time or one only. Some will use more then one but not often.

The real nice thing with the Dell also is since the base cost is low adding the WI FI, Bluetooth and other cards makes it comparable to the iPAQ in price. Then if you decide to change to another device down the road, the accessories still go with you. With the iPAQ you will have to get a new unit with the same features built in or purchase them separately.
Either way the cost for the iPAQ now and in the future will be higher.
To reiterate, unless you need everything that comes with the iPAQ right away, easier and cheaper to go with the Dell.

Bob

bljarv
03-19-2003, 07:34 PM
So here's my question for those of you who have used the iPAQ and the Axim now. The screen is smaller. How is that impacting the usability? Is it noticably smaller?

I'm going through the same debate as several of you on the thread. I wouldn't go for the 5450, but for the 3900 series instead (I think the biometrics is a gimmick :oops: )

Let me know about the screen size!!!

bobkatt
03-19-2003, 08:08 PM
The biometric works very well. You have to make sure you register more then 1 finger. Just in case you injure that finger.

Anycase, the biometric is not a gimmick but a real need for many corporations with highly sensitive data and access issues.

In regards to the screen size on the Dell being smaller, look at how many people actually use a Palm which has an even smaller usable screen area for the actual application. Not a big deal. Overall the Dell is best.
I would consider the 3900 iPAQ if it's at a price close to the Dell price or lower. If the 3900 is a used unit then I would get the Dell new for sure. Issues of the screen and battery life can be a problem with used units unless you are getting a real good deal and can live with these issues.

bljarv
03-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Alright, I've got to eat my words a little - the biometrics would be gimmick for me. The O/S password feature does what I need it to.

You've got a good point about the screen size. What about something to carry an Axim in. Anybody seen any really great solutions?

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Go over to the Axim forum and read through the 17 page thread on cases....lots of good suggestions in there.

As for the 3900 series....the price is going to have to come down soon or Dell is just going to eat that line for lunch; the specs are comparable to the "advanced" model axim yet it costs $200 more? I'm sorry but a screen that's .28" bigger is NOT worth that kind of money! Sleeves are an advantage for some but a minority I'd think; I don't think there's enough people attached to the sleeves to keep the line alive with a price gap that large between it and the Axim.

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 10:03 PM
As for the 3900 series....the price is going to have to come down soon or Dell is just going to eat that line for lunch
I get the perception that it's already been eaten. ;) The 3900 is probably being relegated to a niche market, and I suspect HP knows that. It's a great device, but certainly not cost-comparable.

--janak

dh
03-19-2003, 10:26 PM
I just checked the Dell site to see what is happening with my order and my Axim has shipped already. :shocked!:

Not bad considering I only ordered it about 24 hours ago. The 256kb card has a ship date of April 10th (was April 20th to start with) so I won't have that to play with for a while. I have a 32mb SD card in my camera so I can put a few MP3s on that for testing purposes.

I paid for overnight shipping so I should get the Axim in the morning.
I'll let you guys know what I think of it. I know there have been a lot of comments on the Axim already, but as a long time Palm and first time PPC user I should be able to bring an interesting perspective to the Axim.

Many thanks to everyone who helped with the decision making.

As for the 3900 series....the price is going to have to come down soon or Dell is just going to eat that line for lunch
I get the perception that it's already been eaten. ;) The 3900 is probably being relegated to a niche market, and I suspect HP knows that. It's a great device, but certainly not cost-comparable.

--janak

Oh, I thought about the Ipaq 3900 series as well. I have seen some good prices on the 3950 but I didn't want to have to get an expansion sleeve for the second card slot. I also looked at the 3975 with BT, but I have a wireless network at home so 802.11b connectivity makes more sense. The 3975 seems to cost as much as the 5450 anyway, so what is the point?

Alright, I've got to eat my words a little - the biometrics would be gimmick for me. The O/S password feature does what I need it to.

You've got a good point about the screen size. What about something to carry an Axim in. Anybody seen any really great solutions?

With the money I saved getting the Axim, I ordered a Sena Case. It's on back order so who knows when it will show up. Looks pretty good.

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Well you probably won't ACTUALLY get it till the day after tomorrow, but who's being picky :)

As for the 3900, a friend of mine got it the other day; he's raving about the IR capability....but I still don't think even that is worth a $200 price difference.

dh
03-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Well you probably won't ACTUALLY get it till the day after tomorrow, but who's being picky :)

As for the 3900, a friend of mine got it the other day; he's raving about the IR capability....but I still don't think even that is worth a $200 price difference.

I'll be gutted if it doesn't get here tomorrow.
After sitting on the fence for months. I want it NOW!!!!!

Edit:: It's with FedEx to be delivered tomorrow :clap: :clap:

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Well, usually when the web site says it shipped today, that means they printed the label today; it won't actually get picked up by the shipping company until the next day and delivered the day after that. One never knows, you COULD get it tomorrow but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't arrive until the day after. Try tracking the package and see what it says(you can get the tracking number by calling the automated order status system)