View Full Version : HP Has No Plans For Combo Device

Ed Hansberry
03-18-2003, 09:00 PM
<a href="http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=3163">http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=3163</a><br /><br />"But an integrated device is not a path HP intends to pursue. The company has canned the Jornada 628 [sic] smartphone it has been selling in the UK for just less than a year and won’t be launching an integrated iPaq PDA any time soon. “We’ve done extensive market research and come to the conclusion that consumers prefer a two-piece solution of mobile phone and PDA communicating via Bluetooth,” said Antoine Barre, HP European vice president. “The market isn’t ready for sophisticated devices, although businesses are crying out for them in terms of manageability.”<br /><br />That is fine with me personally. A PDA with a screen large enough to use is too big to hold up to your ear and a device small enough to hold to your head has a screen that is too small to be useful. Of course, that is my personal opinion and I hope devices like the Samsung i700 are met with great success. I'll keep my dual device lifestyle. :)

PetiteFlower
03-18-2003, 09:07 PM
A PDA with a screen large enough to use is too big to hold up to your ear and a device small enough to hold to your head has a screen that is too small to be useful.

Man and I thought I was the only person who felt this way :)

bdegroodt
03-18-2003, 09:13 PM
My guess is that HP isn't interested in having the SmartPhone vs PPC PE issue come their way. Who needs to canabalize their product line with 2 products that have most casual users going "What's the difference between these 2?" I see at least 2 of these posts a day on the NGs.

Only us sophisticated PPCT readers really get it :D And even with however many thousands of members that are registered here, that's not enough to make the market understand.

jmulder
03-18-2003, 09:22 PM
I voted for 2 devices, but that doesn't mean there aren't times I only want to carry one. A smartphone I can use to check my email would be great for those times when my PPC is just too bulky(?!?!), but I would never move to a 'smartphone only' situation on a permanent basis.

If any smartphone vendors are listening...don't kill off smartphones just because some people want 2 devices.

-Jim

Job
03-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Ed,

Why did you put [sic] in your post? I see no grammatical errors.

pocketpcdude1024
03-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Ed,

What does [sic] mean, anyways? I had to vote that I still didn't know what it meant. :oops:

Paul
03-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Read again, "Jornada"...

sic = spelling incorrect

daninnj
03-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Ed,

Jornada 928...not 628.

And it means (I think) the original writer of the message made a spelling mistake.

bdegroodt
03-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Ed,

I thought it was a 928

ntractv
03-18-2003, 09:28 PM
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm?go=news.view&news=3163

I'll keep my dual device lifestyle. :)

I'm voting for two devices as well. Screens on the smartphones are too small for my personal tastes and PDA's (Thera) are just to big to holding up to the side of your head.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2003, 09:30 PM
To each his own, but I really enjoyed using the XDA as a phone - I didn't find it too big to hold up to my head, and the speakerphone was awesome! One device all the way baby! :clap:

Ed Hansberry
03-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Read again, "Jornada"...

sic = spelling incorrect
Actually he misspelled 928. :)

See http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/bracket.htm#sic

Paragon
03-18-2003, 09:34 PM
You guys will all be assimilated one day. :) The future WILL be ONE device.

Dave

pocketpcdude1024
03-18-2003, 09:44 PM

Dave

I'm sure we'll all have implants that link our minds to the Collective... :robot:

sic = spelling incorrect

Thank you! :D [/quote]

Paragon
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Dave

I'm sure we'll all have implants that link our minds to the Collective... :robot:

As long as I'm 6 of 9 I'm cool with that. :)

Actually I'm not all that surprised that HP has dropped plans for an intergrated device, at least for now. I think they blundered their way along so afar. They sure didn't seem too commited. I have a feeling the decision was based a lot more on profit margin then it was on market share.

Dave

Don Tolson
03-18-2003, 09:57 PM
While I agree with Ed in that I don't like the idea of holding my Pocket PC to my ear, I would go for a Pocket PC that I could attach to my belt, and have a 'handsfree' earphone/microphone combo (wireless, of course) to handle the phone part.

It's a bit of a pain having the cable between the phone and the PDA to do the Internet surfing, so here, integration would be good.

Solarix
03-18-2003, 10:07 PM
As long as I'm 6 of 9 I'm cool with that.

Why is that? So you can be on top of "7 of 9"?

Paragon
03-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Perseptive! 8)

Monty Gibson
03-18-2003, 10:12 PM
It's a bit of a pain having the cable between the phone and the PDA to do the Internet surfing, so here, integration would be good.

Don,

Then the argument of "...well if you had a phone that was Bluetooth enabled and a PPC that was Bluetooth enabled you wouldn't need a cable!"

I have the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition. I need neither! I am with Jason and state that one device is the way and I agree with Dave (Paragon) that eventually all will become one and I don't see it going the way of the SmartPhone when the screen is too small for everyday use. The Pocket PC Phone Edition is THE perfect size and I know they could integrate Bluetooth and an SDIO slot which I know will eventually come.

And to all those who do not subscribe to this theory makes my :jawdrop: which then you should taken out back and be :twak: because it :huh: me to have to carry a "Bat Man" style belt to carry two devices when it can be accomplished with only one :clap:. Read the fine print: :deal:, one device is the way of the future.

(Yep, I think that's most of the new emoticons :D)

powder2000
03-18-2003, 10:16 PM

Actually, 6 would be under 7 of 9. :oops:

JonnoB
03-18-2003, 10:19 PM
I guess this means that the 56xx series iPaq devices shown earlier are DOA.

phanprod
03-18-2003, 10:29 PM
In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind having a small device that you wear in your ear... like a dumb cell phone. No display, no ringer... just the audio interface and the transmitter. Then, you have your display & keypad features on your pda, which wirelessly (bluetooth?) communicates with the headset thing. When not in use, perhaps the headset could clip somehow to the pda or it's case. Removing it from this clip automatically answers.

I figure they could make the headset pretty small these days if they got rid of the display and such. Best of both worlds, no? Well... almost...
:microwave:

Paragon
03-18-2003, 10:31 PM
I guess this means that the 56xx series iPaq devices shown earlier are DOA.

Actually Jonathan a while back there was announcement that HTC had won the contract back to build wireless devices for HP, and that they would be in the H4 series, not in the H5 (5600) series. By the sounds of this that's not even going to happen.

Dave

Iznot Gold
03-18-2003, 10:33 PM
One device to use with my bluetooth headset.....yes please.

Oh & if the all in one Ipaq isn't going to happen...someone better tell Expansys Europe who are still taking pre orders!
:soapbox:
David

marlof
03-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Been there, done that (the 928 that is). It was nice while it lasted, but when it was in repairs, I actually fell back in love with the dual device option. A good GSM/GPRS phone connected over Bluetooth to a good Pocket PC beats a mediocre phone that is a pretty good Pocket PC. :)

bdegroodt
03-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Been there, done that (the 928 that is). It was nice while it lasted, but when it was in repairs, I actually fell back in love with the dual device option. A good GSM/GPRS phone connected over Bluetooth to a good Pocket PC beats a mediocre phone that is a pretty good Pocket PC. :)

I'll second that one. Thought the XDA was mediocre at PDA (Under powered, no SDIO) and attrocious as a cell phone.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
To each his own, but I really enjoyed using the XDA as a phone - I didn't find it too big to hold up to my head, and the speakerphone was awesome! One device all the way baby! :clap:
Agreed. I think we're in the minority, though.

--janak

fgarcia10
03-18-2003, 10:55 PM

--janak

NO WAY I WILL GO BACK TO TWO DEVICES!!!! :drinking:

Fish
03-18-2003, 10:56 PM
I was sure they'd go this route. The 54xx's have a SIM slot in the back, as well as a Bluetooth Headset profile hidden in the registry. I was SO eager to see the next device. My ultimate would be:

iPAQ 56xx Phone Edition with integrated WiFi, tri-GSM, Bluetooth, and a BT headset. I WOULD sell all my current gear and buy one.

Paragon
03-18-2003, 10:56 PM

--janak

A growing minority.

I have been using my XDA for about 8 months and I love it. I find it is very comfortable to hold up to my ear. I don't carry a briefcase, or a laptop bag or anything like that. I clip my XDA to my belt. I hated having to carry around two devices. As for it being under powered...Hogwash! It's 206mhz ARM processor....same as most PDAs out there. Just as fast as any Xscale device. As for no SDIO....when this device came to market a year or so ago there were ZERO SDIO cards to put in it.

As a first generation device I think it is a great device, that is simply the first step in the direction of future portable communicating, and computing devices.
Dave

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 10:58 PM
As a first generation device I think it is a great device, that is simply the first step in the direction of future portable communicating, and computing devices.
Absolutely, and the Samsung i700 PPC phones seem to resolve all the issues with the Pocket PC Phone. The nice advantage of it, above the BT solution, is that you never have to juggle or look at two devices. The integrated call log and phone book are immensely valuable. I know programs Running Voice GSM can give similar functionality, but I never kept BT on all the time on my 3870, so it wasn't really all that convenient (and caller ID wasn't leveraged).

SMS is also much, much faster for me.

--janak

maximum360
03-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Give me the 1910 with a GPRS/CDMA module built in plus a slightly larger capacity battery, a Pax255 running at 400 MHz (bluetooth would be nice too) and I'd be happy.

Paragon
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM

Like I really care which 8)

Jeff Rutledge
03-18-2003, 11:06 PM
I voted for one device even though I'm currently a two-device user with my 3870 and T68. Actually, 3-device with my Blackberry, but that's a whole other thread.

I find the two devices I'm using now good when it works, but he BT implementation is too flaky to bother with on a regular basis.

I was very intrigued by the concept device (Wanda I think) posted earlier. Looks very cool. I thought about an XDA device, but I think the RAM limitation kept me away. I think a device like this will become more popular in the next couple generations of devices though.

SLUG
03-18-2003, 11:27 PM
I've had nine PDA's in the last 2 years and my XDA has been the best, I always forgot my phone but never my PDA, so now with my XDA that's not a problem. I don't like the lack of memory, but that's a small price to pay for the convienence of one device. I think we might become the majority soon! :robot: YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!

PetiteFlower
03-18-2003, 11:39 PM
I think that the closeness of the votes on here point to integrated devices never completely replacing separates; everyone seems to have their own preferences on the matter, personal choice not that one is better then the other. So I think integrated devices like the XDA will continue to improve, but there's no way in hell that separate phones and PDAs will NOT be available at some point in the future.

Anyway to my knowlege 'sic' means Spelling In Copy; it means someone transcribed the text from the original source exactly and did not edit the spelling mistakes; it's mean to point out that basically "the original author is the moron, not me, I just copied it!"

eustts
03-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Definately a two device person. I am new to the PPC world, I just don't yet carry it everywhere, although it is growing. I have had good success with BT

Weyoun6
03-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I would much rather have a combined device than two. I (eventualy) want one device that I would have to carry around. I dont want to have to keep looking for my pager, cellphone, wallet etc. I am just waiting for a full pocket pc with phone features. One Device all the way!

bdegroodt
03-19-2003, 12:04 AM
...As for it being under powered...Hogwash! It's 206mhz ARM processor....same as most PDAs out there.

Ummm...right, but it's not a pda. It's a pda and a phone. It's widely reported and clearly acknowledged that half of what they loaded onto that phone put it way beyond it's capacity (Hence the, unload all the phone applications and it works "fine.").

As for no SDIO....when this device came to market a year or so ago there were ZERO SDIO cards to put in it.

That's untrue. I had this phone the day it hit the market in the U.S. and there were, at the very least, BlueTooth SDIO cards that I could have used had it supported the SDIO format.

Dave

That I agree with. MSFT hasn't had a great track record of getting good first gen devices/os out the door. This is far from a first gen for the OS, but it's a first for the PPCPE and I think it was a great start. I only hope the leaps made in the first generation are repeated in the second and future releases. A safe rule with MSFT is to wait for the 3rd generation release. With the PPCPE, I might suggest waiting for the second gen would be enough to get a stable, powerful and capable phone. Now, just what to do about that face grease on the screen... :devilboy:

danielalvers
03-19-2003, 12:50 AM
In my office about a dozen of us were waiting for the integrated GSM/iPaq, version whatever, to be release.

Considering that the H54xx series has the speaker and mic around the right way, there is a sim blank inside the battery compartment and the current WiFi hardware is built on a module. Would it be that hard to install a GSM/GPRS module and wire the sim port. The bluetooth stack even supports the HeadSet profile.

If this unit wasn't originally planned to be a PPC PE then I don't know what was.

Pigs Bum that HP had no plans for a combo device. Something has changed their approach to the market.

I guess it will be up to the other manufacturers to fill this 'gap' in the market.

trevleyb
03-19-2003, 12:50 AM
So why did HP put a SIM slot in the 54xx series?

Jeff Rutledge
03-19-2003, 12:52 AM
So why did HP put a SIM slot in the 54xx series?

I believe their original plan was to introduce the 56xx device, which was to have integrated GPRS. It was the same for factor as the 54xx so they included the SIM slot in the mould so they could just re-use it. Then there were apparently problems with the development so they scrapped the idea.

malcolmsharp
03-19-2003, 01:03 AM
I said I want a one of unit, but I don't want the current ones.

I want a full speed chip with at least 64 megs of ram for use, and I want wireless built in on top of the phone (why burn up minutes when there is access).

Oh, and two slots, for a hardward card and a memory one.

Will T Smith
03-19-2003, 01:13 AM
H-Paq is again demonstrating a collosal foolishness.

These devices are EXTREMELY practical. Yes some users would certainly prefer to keep two different devices.

HOWEVER, from an enterprise (remember this was the reason for the merger) standpoint a combined device is obviously preferred. The reason, duhh, less stuff to keep track of. The prospect of enabling mobile workers with a SINGLE handheld device must be VERY seductive to business.

Likely, they're bad talking the market because they couldn't do it right. They are also missing the boat on "alternative financing" models of sales. That is, the wireless guys flip the bill for the devices and bundle it into their service contract.

Duncan
03-19-2003, 01:14 AM
Anyway to my knowlege 'sic' means Spelling In Copy; it means someone transcribed the text from the original source exactly and did not edit the spelling mistakes; it's mean to point out that basically "the original author is the moron, not me, I just copied it!"

No. Nor does it mean 'spelling incorrect'. Nor does it denote a grammatical error. It is simply a Latin word (without a precise English translation) meaning roughly 'thus it is' or 'so it is found'. It is an indication that you are aware that there is an error (spelling, grammar, mis-quote or inaccurate information) in what you are quoting but it is not yours. You are reproducing the quote 'as you found it' or 'as it came to you'. It can also be used to point out that there is an opinion, in what you are quoting, that you believe to be in error.

The various other explanations seem to be urban myths (or parents/teachers/bosses who didn't want to admit they didn't know!). :) (and people told me that studying dead languages was a waste of time...).

pocketpcdude1024
03-19-2003, 01:28 AM
While I like the concept of the unidevice, I think that due to the difference in sizes between a normal call phone and a normal PDA. Instead of having each size suit the device, you are forced to choose the cell phone body for your PDA or a PDA body for your cell phone. (Smartphone vs. Pocket PC Phone Edition)

Another thing is: if your PDA dies, there goes your cell phone as well. With connected devices, if one device malfunctions, the other device (combined with the first one) dies as well, and you're left without a PDA or cell phone.

Third: try playing solitaire while talking to someone on your combined device. A little hard? :lol: Yes, with combined devices, it's an "exclusive OR (XOR)" scenario. One or the other. Not both.

Anyways, I'm for keeping the devices separate and connecting them if you need to.

Gen-M
03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
A PDA with a screen large enough to use is too big to hold up to your ear and a device small enough to hold to your head has a screen that is too small to be useful.

Not if you had a head mounted display and a bluetooth headphone - you would have no need to hold anything up to your head/ear. 0X

Duncan
03-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Re: HPs decision.

A revised version of the original intention for the Loox would make a lot of sense. A modular approach. A mobile phone that can be 'docked', as it were, with a Pocket PC - and then removed for separate phone use when desired.

nwarren
03-19-2003, 01:56 AM
Interesting thread.

I think I must be alone in wanting both a mobile phone and a PDA with integrated GPRS. This is probably a luxury, but is hugely practical.

I have an XDA, but NEVER use it for voicecalls - I have a separate phone for that. To me the beauty of the XDA is it's integrated wireless data, no faffing around with BT connectivity issues. I want to have wireless data capability always with my PDA, so I'm not interested in switching a BT phone between my PDA and a BT headset or anything else.

Future implementations of BT may persuade me otherwise, but until it's simple, I'll stick with my (luxurious) 2.5 piece solution.

Daimaou
03-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Well I am used to travel a lot around Japan HK and China (Now in fact not that much :() but honestly speaking an ALL IN ONE is so convenient, no need to take with you all this cables... but my major problems now it that there is not any "GLOBAL STANDRAD" (GSM/W-CDMA) for PPC, only for mobile phone and they don t have BT :evil:

adamz
03-19-2003, 02:16 AM
Noo!!!! I don't believe it. I'm in denial. They gotta make the 5600 GSM/GPRS & Bluetooth! We need an iPAQ that runs Phone Edition. :( The T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone isn't expandable enough and my 3970 with GSM/GPRS jacket has no room for GPS expansion. Daurgh! This is very dissapointing.
We need an all-in-one PDA phone that works with Bluetooth headsets, and still works with expansion packs, etc. :(
Maybe some one can hack up a 5450 like that guy did with the 3800 modification... it has a built in GSM cellphone in the same form factor... just no battery life.

Timothy Rapson
03-19-2003, 02:28 AM
RE: sic

The various other explanations seem to be urban myths (or parents/teachers/bosses who didn't want to admit they didn't know!). :) (and people told me that studying dead languages was a waste of time...).

If only one could make money with such knowledge. You and my wife would be millionaires. :werenotworthy:

I bet you can spell things, too. :clap:

PetiteFlower
03-19-2003, 02:37 AM
Hey I was right in the meaning if not in the actual translation :)

Paragon
03-19-2003, 02:37 AM
...As for it being under powered...Hogwash! It's 206mhz ARM processor....same as most PDAs out there.

Ummm...right, but it's not a pda. It's a pda and a phone. It's widely reported and clearly acknowledged that half of what they loaded onto that phone put it way beyond it's capacity (Hence the, unload all the phone applications and it works "fine.").

Perhaps you could point me to all these reports that say this was a hardware issue with the XDA? Some software that T-Mobile put on it was very buggy. When removed the device ran much better. It didn't take it beyond it's capacity. This issue had nothing to do with the the XDA itself. It was a T-Mobile software issue.

I had this phone the day it hit the market in the U.S. and there were, at the very least, BlueTooth SDIO cards that I could have used had it supported the SDIO format

I think you are going to have to "show me the money" on this one, degroodt. IF there were any SD Bluetooth cards on the selves a year ago they were from Toshiba, and worked on Toshiba devices only. Perhaps you could tell me how many Pocket PCs with SDIO were on the market a year ago. :)

Dave

R K
03-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Maybe some one can hack up a 5450 like that guy did with the 3800 modification... it has a built in GSM cellphone in the same form factor... just no battery life.

If the WiFi chip is modular, I don't see why a third-party couldn't put together an iPAQ Upgrade package that swapped the WiFi for a GSM/GPRS module. Getting the Pocket PC Phone Edition license would be another matter though.
Maybe we should all start pummeling PocketPCTechs with e-mails requesting that they look into this?

Duncan
03-19-2003, 03:45 AM
There is the WANDA reference design - BT, WiFi and GSM/GPRS in one - from Texas Instruments. Someone is bound to pick it up...

Janak Parekh
03-19-2003, 04:39 AM
Now, just what to do about that face grease on the screen... :devilboy:
I actually have a very good solution for this. It'll come up in a review in the near future. (Darn it, I have too much work!...)

FWIW, Brian, I suspected you jumped a little too early on the bandwagon. The 3.14 ROM is pretty stable. In any case, watch the i700, and of course, the Hitachi - if they deliver what they promise, they may be very compelling devices.

--janak

Job
03-19-2003, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Duncan. I never thought to look at the model number. I suppose my English training is to look for grammar, spelling, etc, not product specs. Yeah, it is my feeling that people who use [sic] (I use it all of the time) are generally attempting to distance themselves from the writer.

heliod
03-19-2003, 06:25 AM
At the current situation, I prefer two devices, since I don't want to be closed with 32MB Memory and only GPRS comm, things that the current XDA forces me to.

But look at TI's Wanda design concept device at http://focus.ti.com/docs/apps/catalog/general/general.jhtml?templateId=1101&path=templatedata/cm/general/data/wire_conceptdesign, this is my real dream. Good memory, GSM/GPRS, WIFI and Bluetooth. A device for all times.

If it comes to the market, this is surely my next device.

jimski
03-19-2003, 06:54 AM
I am still amazed that so many people don't get it (IMHO).

I am sitting here tonight with my Bluetooth/WiFi enabled iPAQ 5450, which is next to my GSM/GPRS equip Sony-Ericsson T68i and my CDMA equip Ericsson T60LX writing this reply. But even with all this wireless technology, I have my trusty Targus 56K modem plugged into my CF sleeve expansion slot.

Problem is that my business trip dropped me in Fairfield, Ohio, just a bit north of Cincinnati and GSM is unknown in these parts.

My point is that as messy as this setup may be (I really do hate wires) I was still able to keep the laptop home for a one day roadtrip.

When 100% of America, along with most of the free world, are using a single voice & data network standard, and this standard is available in every nook and cranny and data transfer is cheap (I mean really cheap) and Ed's problem of big screen/small device (I couldn't agree more) has be solved, I will be the first in line and be willing to pay any price for this device sent from Heaven.

Marc Zimmermann
03-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Yup, I'm 99.99% agreeing. It's only some times I find my small Siemens S45 preferable which I can just slip into any pants pocket (no pun intended) and don't have to worry about breaking the touchscreen.

I'm truly looking forward to the Smartphone growing up and enhancing its capabilities. I'd like the form factor of Smartphone with the capabilities of Pocket PC...

scrinch
03-19-2003, 07:40 AM
I guess I'm one of those guys who doesn't get it. I'm so happy I don't have to be sitting here with my ipaq, T68i, T60LX, and Targus56k. I'm sitting here with one device that slips in my pocket and gets me a WAN connection wherever I travel (okay, except in Asia). I've got a decent phone, e-mail, browser, no facial grease, solitaire while I talk on the (speaker)phone, and no cables, headsets, or modems to keep track of. My transfer speeds are on par with dial-up service, and I pay $10/mo for unlimited data usage. I guess I don't get what's wrong with this picture.

Okay, okay, Sprint doesn't have vision coverage everywhere, and some of us want more oomph from their pda...but can you see that this service with a single device could be very attractive to some of us?

Marc Zimmermann
03-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Those apps were a T-Mobile USA issue, not symptomatic of Pocket PC Phone Edition in general.

Simple - just don't wipe your cheek with it. There's absolutely no need to hold its lower part that close to your mouth.

bdegroodt
03-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Those apps were a T-Mobile USA issue, not symptomatic of Pocket PC Phone Edition in general.

You are right. The applications from TM were absolutely buggy. Aside from the reception issues (Again, well documented and missed calls that never rang, my personal favorite.) there was the paint peel and in general, the processor and memory specs are what would be standard for an average PDA today. When you added in a phone to boot (Or reboot as the case often was), my personal experience was a slow responding pda/phone that wasn't worth $700.

Simple - just don't wipe your cheek with it. There's absolutely no need to hold its lower part that close to your mouth.

I must be missing your point. If I hold it to my ear, it touches my the upper part of my face/cheek. I'd say that's a normal way of using a handset. Holding the handset away from your face doesn't make much sense to me for any extended and natural use of the phone. Mind you, the face grease was hardly a problem to me.

From the factory, give me the XDA with boosted mem/proc and an always on connection to email (That truly is always on and connects at power on) with a replaceable battery and a decent headset out of the box (What's that mess of wires all about anyway?) and the rubberized back like they get in Europe and a little better stylying and I'm there. Maybe.

Still have the issue of dropped phone costing lots if it breaks. Today my T68i goes sliding from my clip to the hardwood floor, I just bend down and pick it up. No acclerated heartbeat. No wondering if the screen cracked. No wondering if all my work is gone.

As was said earlier, to each his/her own.

Paragon
03-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Third: try playing solitaire while talking to someone on your combined device. A little hard? :lol: Yes, with combined devices, it's an "exclusive OR (XOR)" scenario. One or the other. Not both.

Oh, contraire, there Dude. Multi tasking is one if the big benefits of the XDA that really has been under valued, it's one of it's coolest features. In fact while on the phone you can record your conversation. You can take notes that are all filed with the call. So imagine being on your cellphone and someone gives you some details you need to right down. Wth one hand on your phone you find you PPC with your second hand. With your third hand you pull out your stylus, and right about now a bee lands on your nose....a fourth hand would be good about now. :-) With an XDA this is very easy to do.

You can even play a game of Micheal Schumacher kart racing while on the phone. It is a rather RAM intense application. I really shouldn't be able to do this while I'm on the phone because this device is under powered..........:-)

In reality pretty much anything you can use a Pocket PC for you can do while on the phone. You cannot use a GPRS connection while on the phone, but considering that 2 out of 3 internet using Americans still use dialup I think that limitation is one shared with many households.

My experience has been that the T68i makes a really lousy PDA, and the Ipaq makes an even worse cellphone, but the XDA does pretty good job of both. :)

Dave

Solarix
03-19-2003, 08:18 PM

I was thinking that depending on how u looked at it 6 of 9 would be on top or underneath 7 of 9. Honestly, I wouldn't care which it was.

pocketpcdude1024
03-19-2003, 08:47 PM

Oh, contraire, there Dude. Multi tasking is one if the big benefits of the XDA that really has been under valued, it's one of it's coolest features. In fact while on the phone you can record your conversation. You can take notes that are all filed with the call. So imagine being on your cellphone and someone gives you some details you need to right down. Wth one hand on your phone you find you PPC with your second hand. With your third hand you pull out your stylus, and right about now a bee lands on your nose....a fourth hand would be good about now. :-) With an XDA this is very easy to do.

OK, I suppose that you could use the speakerphone to multitask, but I guess that I'm the kind of person that doesn't want everyone around me hearing my entire conversation. Besides, not all places are quiet enough to be able to use the speakerphone well.

pocketpcdude1024
03-19-2003, 08:53 PM

I was thinking that depending on how u looked at it 6 of 9 would be on top or underneath 7 of 9. Honestly, I wouldn't care which it was.
That appears to be the general consensus. :silly:

http://images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10038000/10038615.jpg

Paragon
03-19-2003, 10:06 PM
Now it should be totally apparent why I want to be 6 of 9. 8) ......under over....either would bring new meaning to the word assimilate. :)

Oh, pocketPCdude1024....try earbuds. :)

Dave
6 of nine

cslaughtermd
03-21-2003, 12:43 AM
I really do find it hard to believe that with all of the other PPC Phone devices in development and coming to market that HP would drop a device that they've already essentially engineered.
I've been waiting for the 5600 series for too long! I want one device with GSM/GPRS, SDIO, bluetooth for a sweet Jabra headset and one of the strongest points of the ipaq line - sleeve expandability! Then I'll be able to plug in my CF camera and wirelessly videoconference from anywhere, take the camera out and give a powerpoint presentation with a VGA-out card! C'mon HP! Don't pull a "Steve Jobs" and start pulling devices that are both useful and have a real market demand (R.I.P. my Messagepad 2K - which still makes an excellent alarm clock :mrgreen: )

Is 8 of 9 taken yet? :ppclove: (I can't figure out the order - top or bottom, it really doesn't matter)

pocketpcdude1024
03-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Is 8 of 9 taken yet? :ppclove: (I can't figure out the order - top or bottom, it really doesn't matter)

Nope, here's the order:

Eight of Nine:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/avatars/4476f5c63e5e6f2a31b79.jpg
Seven of Nine:
http://www.startreksite.com/crews/seven.jpg
Six of Nine:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/avatars/415d57563df7bc4dac0ba.jpg

ctmagnus
03-21-2003, 06:03 AM
You could be 5 of nine, but then you'd be under Dave's (Arnolds :?:)stinky armpit.

Ed Hansberry
03-21-2003, 01:35 PM
You could be 5 of nine, but then you'd be under Dave's (Arnolds :?:)stinky armpit.
The thing is, it isn't like 6, 7 and 8 of 9 can be left alone. All 9 are part of a collective.

http://j-walk.com/music/ebayparody_files/myrtle2.jpg
Meet 4 of 9.

Paragon
03-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Now I know how the Borg got it's name. :iamwithstupid:

Dave

Don't Panic!
03-21-2003, 02:59 PM
I am not a number I'm a free man! I refuse to be assimilated. :robot: 2 devices work fine so far. But man those 1ev PPCPE devices are tempting. Darn shame about HP's decision.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

pocketpcdude1024
03-21-2003, 10:43 PM
The thing is, it isn't like 6, 7 and 8 of 9 can be left alone. All 9 are part of a collective.

http://j-walk.com/music/ebayparody_files/myrtle2.jpg
Meet 4 of 9.
:jawdrop: