View Full Version : SD versus CF?

Icebaron
03-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Ok, so here's my big decision to make... secure digital or compact flash for accesories? I'm thinking of getting a Whitney compact flash case for my ipaq, so I can have one SD and one CF slot available at the same time (memory and other accesories). Right now I use a 256 mb SD card for mp3 storage, and want to soon add wavelan connectivity. The big question is, though, which type of card to get for wavelan. I like the idea of going secure digital for my wavelan connection, due to the fact that I could use wireless connection without any case/sleeve. However, I already use a secure digital memory card, and wouldn't mind being able to keep it in the unit while going online, so CF would work nice for that. What would you folks do? Do you think it's worth the extra money for me to invest in a CF case and CF memory, so I can use wifi with a naked ipaq, or should I go with a CF case and CF wifi card and keep using SD for my memory?

Or, should I wait and see if someone comes out with a SD sleeve?

Cary
03-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Is WaveLan like wifi?

Sandisk is said to be making a wifi card SDIO card that's also a memory card. It is supposed to come out this quarter! SD wifi with 256 mb ... don't have time to search for it right now, but I know I saw the product announcement earlier in Jan.

Icebaron
03-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Is WaveLan like wifi?

Sandisk is said to be making a wifi card SDIO card that's also a memory card. It is supposed to come out this quarter! SD wifi with 256 mb ... don't have time to search for it right now, but I know I saw the product announcement earlier in Jan.

Wavelan was lucent, now orinoco's, brand name for their 802.11b (wifi) products. For those of us who were using 802.11b when it first came out, wavelan = wifi the same way kleenex = tissues and xerox = photocopy.\

As far as the wifi/memory combo cards, I've seen those as well, but am a bit wary of them. I want to completely remove a wifi card when I'm not using it, because I like to cut down the power draw. Memory, on the other hand, I usually leave in the slot all the time.

Sven Johannsen
03-18-2003, 08:21 PM
It will be interesting to see if the folks making combo WiFi/memory peripherals have the forethought to realize that people want to leave their memory in and turn their radio off, and provide software to accomodate that.

Seems rediculous that that is not a common feature on CF wireless cards for PPC now. I can turn radio off on my Orinoco card when it is in the laptop, but the feature doesn't exist on the same card when in my Jornada, where it would be very welcome. No 'Radio Off' on my Symbol CF either.

Hyperluminal
03-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Icebaron, just to be sure, you do have an iPaq 3900 or 5400, right? Because the 36/37/1910s don't support SDIO, in other words, they only support memory-based SD cards.
In which case you should obviously get the CF one... :)

Icebaron
03-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Icebaron, just to be sure, you do have an iPaq 3900 or 5400, right? Because the 36/37/1910s don't support SDIO, in other words, they only support memory-based SD cards.
In which case you should obviously get the CF one... :)

Yeah I have a 3955, I made sure it supported SDIO before I bought the thing. The idea of using accesory cards with a naked ipaq was always high on my priority list... but that was before I saw the Whitney-Krussell CF cases and thought maybe a sleeve wouldn't be so bad.