View Full Version : My iPAQ h5455 Just Restored its ROM - Out of the Blue

mjhamson
03-18-2003, 05:34 AM
In the 15 minutes it took me to drive home, somehow... my iPAQ restored the ROM image. I checked the battery and everything else I could think of.... but everything was okay.

Has anyone else experienced a random restore like this? very un-nerving!

ChristopherTD
03-18-2003, 10:03 AM
In the month that I have owned my 5450 I have had 6 hard resets. Two were seemingly caused by reminders going off while playing full screen games. The others have been more mysterious, one possibly caused by changing battery. Another was caused by the fingerprint software refusing to load and locking the machine. The others were just random.

I bought a 256MB SD Card and backup up several times a day. I have a streamlined restore procedure now after a hard reset.

Set the Date
Restore the latest Backup
Delete the partnership on my laptop
Attach the iPaq and re-create the partnership
Choose to replace all content on the iPaq when ActiveSync asks

This seems to get things back as they were pretty quickly. It is certainly not ideal, and I hope that HP address these stability issues soon!

that_kid
03-18-2003, 02:42 PM
I've had this happen to me three times and two of the times it was while using @mail. The third time the ipaq was sitting in the cradle charging, I had used it not even 10 minutes prior. Hp was clueless, but they did send me another unit which has been great. I still backup every day though cause you never know what can happen.