View Full Version : Ir Keyboard accessory (pocketop)

fatboy55
03-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Ir Keyboard accessory

I have a pocketop ir keyboard and I love it, but I did find that adjusting the mirrors a bit of a hassle. Also, the distance between the keyboard and the ppc was too far apart for airplane tables. So, to solve these problems and others I made a repeater. This allows you to move the keyboard and the ppc anywhere you want. The repeater is stronger than the original light from the keyboard (after it has traveled all the way to the mirror and the ppc) so gaming is better. The keyboard responds better and faster than originally. The repeater is a hardware unit only, it requires no drivers or software on it?s own. If your ppc works with the ir keyboards out there, the repeater will also work. Here is a web site where I have some pictures.

www.geocities.com/pocketrepeater

This is only an ugly prototype but it works perfect and is ready to travel. I have made some improvements since this.

With some adjustments this will also allow you to use a ppc that has the ir port on the side.

I am curious, is anybody interested in buying one of these units. I am asking $35.00 each plus $5.00 shipping and handling. Each is made and tested by hand.

The unit is a small plastic box the size of two sugar cubes. It has an integrated 9 volt battery clip and a 1/8 inch jack. The emitter is bendable and covered in a solid black plastic sheath. It will work with all cf cards and nothing will get in the way of the repeater. If you have a cf card that is a problem you just bend the emitter another way. I have a picture of the repeater with a wifi card at the web site. The 9 volt battery will operate the repeater for a LONG time. I could have used a smaller battery but this was the only battery that was readily available around the world that was not round! The unit also needed the weight to keep it down on the table without it moving. The repeater and emitter are VERY light and tough. I am using a one and one half foot cord, but any length will be supplied upon request, in addition, any walkman headphone extension cord will increase the cord to whatever you need. When the cord is not plugged in the unit draws no current so it can be left attached to the battery. The emitter is placed between the ppc and the keyboard storage hinge.

If you have any questions or would like to order a unit, e-mail me at
[email protected]

bobkatt
03-18-2003, 04:25 PM
Looks really interesting in concept.
Not sure about the practicality since there are wired keyboards already and combining the Pocketop and the wired IR can be almost double the cost of a wired keyboard.

I have found that using the rotation software that comes with the keyboard and having the IR pointing downward does the trick well.

fatboy55
03-18-2003, 05:33 PM
[quote="bobkatt"]Looks really interesting in concept.
Not sure about the practicality since there are wired keyboards already and combining the Pocketop and the wired IR can be almost double the cost of a wired keyboard.

This allows more freedom. You can have the keyboard and ppc in any orientation. If you use the wired keyboard it must be in the middle of the keyboard with the ppc right up againest it. If you use the mirror the ppc must be to the left and far away. Even with the screen rotation software you must have the ppc to the left of the keyboard. In addition I found this to be more relieable. Expecially with games. This will also allow you to use ppc's that have the ir on the side, upright.

It's not quite double. The keyboard is 100, I am asking 35 plus 5 for shipping. Thats 40% more, not 100% more

I have also found out that if you use the ir with the mirror, the ppc is too far away from the keyboard to use on a plane.

I think it makes the pocketop much better.

Fatboy55

bobkatt
03-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Even with the screen rotation software you must have the ppc to the left of the keyboard. In addition I found this to be more relieable. Expecially with games.
I have also found out that if you use the ir with the mirror, the ppc is too far away from the keyboard to use on a plane.

Well, I beg to differ on this. If you place the PDA on the included stand with the IR pointing down, then your very close to the PDA.

http://www.han-d-solutions.com/images/Pocketop/iPAQwsleeve.gif

Also with my Casio the unit does not have to be centered with the IR exactly since I am almost right up against the PDA.

Your idea does have potentials and like I said in my direct email to you I would love to review your product in additon to some exposure through www.technobrains.com and other means.

Original Pocketop review.
review (http://www.han-d-solutions.com/pocketop.htm)

Bob

fatboy55
03-18-2003, 09:17 PM
"Well, I beg to differ on this. If you place the PDA on the included stand with the IR pointing down, then your very close to the PDA"

Yes but you can only work in that exact position. I prefer the ppc in the middle of the keybpoard not off to the left. A problem I have with your method is with my favorite game. Asteroids played in mamece. If I rotate the screen with the driver software mame fixes it and the controls are upside down but the game itself is still right side up. I can also now operate the keyboard on un-even surfaces. In bed I use a book to hold the ppc upright in the stand and another small book to keep the keyboard and repeater, no problem.

How will you use the keyboard in landscape mode, not too easy unless you have the repeater, then no problem.

"Also with my Casio the unit does not have to be centered with the IR exactly since I am almost right up against the PDA."

the closer you get between the keyboard and the ppc the better you will have to center the units ir ports since there was less distance to expand the cone of light coming out of the keyboard. With the repeater, no problem