View Full Version : A Bad Case for Case Manufacturers

Brad Adrian
03-17-2003, 04:37 AM
What follows is a rant. If you are not in the mood to read another rant on this site, just skip to the other more enlightening posts...<br /><br />I've just had a bad experience with a PDA case manufacturer, and I'd like to know just how common my situation is. Four weeks ago, I ordered two leather Pocket PC cases; I won't directly name the company, but their name includes two initials. Anyway, one of the two cases I wanted was backordered, and The Company refused to ship partial orders (even though I was willing to spring for overnight shipping on each). The Web site said the backordered case would be available within 3 business days. Oh, boy, was THAT estimate wrong. <!><br /><br />Anyway, after waiting for three and a half weeks, I called The Company, and they told me both cases would ship within the next 24 hours. Then, the next day, I got an e-mail saying that there was an error in my credit card information (my billing address had a typo). Rather than simply give me the opportunity to provide the corrected address, The Company told me to cancel the original order and re-order the cases.<br /><br />Upon reordering, I found out that both cases were once again backordered. But NOW, my order has "gone to the back of the queue," so to speak, so it's probably going to be another four weeks.<br /><br />Now, I realize that the typo was my fault, but the initial three-week delay, IMO, was inexcusable and the solution to the typo was absolutely ridiculous.<br /><br />I ask you, is this really the way things should operate? Or is this just the status quo and I should stop complaining?<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> After two e-mails, four attempts on my part to get the situation fixed by phone and a couple of hours of phone tag, here's where we're at with this. An E&amp;B customer service representative was finally able to edit the information and get the order placed again. However, it took several attempts from him and my logging onto their site before we actually struck upon the magic sequence of keystrokes that allowed him to do this. All in all, it cost me about an hour of actual phone time (not counting on-hold time); however, at least when we were done I was assured that my order will ship tonight and that the extra expedited shipping would not cost me a penny.<br /><br />The representative also told me that they are in the process of installing a system that will handle these kinds of customer service-related issues better. I hope that's the case (no pun intended); I'll let everybody know tomorrow whether the promises came through.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE #2:</b> If you want to see how this story finally ends, take a look <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10193&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=34">here</a>.

rfischer
03-17-2003, 05:14 AM
Here's my story of what happened to me a few years ago:

I bought a PDA case for my brand new Casio E-100 from a company that ALSO HAD TWO INITIALS and when I got it, the quality was not at all as presented in the pictures. I called the company and got a RMA number and shipped it back. I was smart enough to use UPS so that I had a trackable number.

I was told that they would refund me back onto my American Express as soon as it was received back at their warehouse. I checked periodically for a credit which, of course, never showed up. I called them up and they said they did not have it, so I immediately contacted UPS and got the name of the person who signed for it.

I then called back and the person I spoke to admitted that the person's name I mentioned who has signed for it worked there but that without the case, they could do nothing. I told her that it was rediculous and that if they lost it in THEIR shipping department, it was their problem, not mine.

I ended up having to call AMEX and fle a complaint. They immediately credited me the $50.00 (and change) and said that they would take it up with the company. If I had not used my AMEX, I might have been screwed out of $50. They lost quite a few customers as a result since I warned all my friends with PDAs to steer clear of them.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a similar styled case from a Japanese company, and after Yen conversion and shipping, it was about the same price. The new case was extremely high quality and I still have it (although I don't use the Casio much these days since I have a T-Mobile). What a joke, huh?

GC4062
03-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Brad,

I can completely understand. I ordered a case from a company with two initials for my Jornada 568 after I bought it. After much back and forth via e-mail as they couldn't seem to understand that we DO have credit cards here in the frozen north, I finally received the case. I used it a few times, but it was such a poor fit that it ended up being tossed in the back of a drawer with a vow to never buy a case from this company again.

Too bad they couldn't give customer service like some companies do... for example, I used to work in aerospace some years back, and caught wind of a NOVA program called Battle of the X-Planes about the competition to build the new Joint Strike Fighter plane. Unfortunately, when it aired, I missed the first hour, so I went to the PBS store online, but they didn't have it listed. I sent a note asking if they would be carrying it soon. I got a reply explaining that each producer had different distribution, and they gave me a listing of all the other sites online that I could call or order from. Now, THAT to me was customer service! Time for the technology companies out there to get a hint and start treating the customers right.

Chris Spera
03-17-2003, 05:34 AM
No, its not the status quo. NO you shouldn't stop complaining; and in my humble opinion, you should come RIGHT out and name the company that has this poor level of customer service. They're big enough to take it... If they're this blatantly disrespectful to their customers, let alone a member of The Press, then they deserve every lump they take.

Fire with both barrels, kiddo. You're not slandering or liabling anyone... this is you're true and honest experience with this case manufacturer. You aren't making this up, and you're not exaggerating (unless of course you are, and then I would temper my overall response...), so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

The power of The Press is far reaching; but when used correctly can effect massive change... I know from experience.

Christopher Spera

rfischer
03-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Oh, you mean like saying, it was E.B. CASES who I'll never buy from again?

:x

Fitch
03-17-2003, 05:58 AM
No, you're right. I mean, dude, they're an online ordering facility. The ability to check your billing address the moment you place your order would seem SOOO easy to do. Not cool. They simply don't care about what happens to the customer. This would never happen face to face.

Chris Spera
03-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Oh, you mean like saying, it was E.B. CASES who I'll never buy from again?

:x

Something like that...Yeah.

Also, why buy the cases?? Cancel the order. Point them to the post and the comments, and let's see what happens. Honestly, if they are paying attention, then they may try to make good on their mistakes (notice the plural, there?? Good. I thought you might...)

Christopher Spera

dhettel
03-17-2003, 06:51 AM
Brad;
I've got to think you are as much to blame as they are. :twisted: I've got my skin on so go ahead and flame on. :twisted:

Ok if you came across a company that went out of their way to treat you well, I'd bet you would not hesitate to name them. And lets face facts your name is not unknown in this community. If they are not willing to treat you well, they are not going to treat me one bit better because of my good looks.

Way I see it you live or die, by the way you treat your customers. And yes I've been in sales, and like anyone who has been in sales. I have had to deal with the customer who is wrong. Just MHO, but how you treat the pissed off customer says a lot about you.

Funny thing I found in life there is always someone willing to take my money. There is another case, around the corner. More features, a better fit, a better price. If this is the best they can do, then the community needs to know it. My guess is their are two three ready to step in and take their place.

When I read a review I want to see sometimes a company get hit. Makes me believe the reviewer, is honest. Not all the products I pickup are great, with technology I want, need to know about the down side. I need to know where the product is weak. A lot of sources will tell me why this is great, why I need it, now. What I need to know is where it is weak, or where it out right fails.

Sorry but to many seem to think, all we need to write about is the good. That sooner or later the bad will take care of itself. Sorry but if your willing to point out who is doing right, you should be just as willing to say who is doing it wrong. I said my little bit so flame away guys and girls.

David Hettel

umichboy
03-17-2003, 06:59 AM
Wow, I must have been lucky because eons ago when I still used a Palm, I bought a Palm Vx w/minstrel case from them to house my Palm Vx and Omnisky modem. Case worked great, and arrived in a normal amount of time.

The stylus, on the other hand, was a lousy tool. The ballpoint pen part fell out about a week after I started using it. So I was 1 for 2. Better than your guys' 0 for 1, but still pretty poor for a company. Let's spread the word if they're not living up to expectations.

rberry88
03-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Wow, isn't that something. I ordered a case from EBcases about 4 weeks ago for my 5455. It was on back order and supposedly going to be ready to ship in 10-15 days. I waited and waited and then last Monday (3/10), my credit card gets charged the full price of the case plus the cost of overnight shipping. I also got an e-mail last Monday stating that my order has shipped and will arrive in 24 hours and I'm given a tracking number. Tuesday morning before work I decide to check on the status of my package to get an idea if it would be here AM or PM and that is when I figure out that I don't know what shipping company is delivering it. I went to UPS, FedEX, Airborne and USPS website and put the tracking number in each of them and none have any record of the package. Hmmm, so I call EBcases at the number from the website and a girl (Nancy) looks up my order by my name and address and tells me it was shipped out but she doesn't know with whom. So Tuesday comes and goes and everytime I call after talking to 4, yes 4 Supervisors/Managers over the last 3 days and no one not only doesn't know where my package is but are unwilling to admit it hasn't left or get me a new one on the way. For crying out loud, is it that big of a hit to the company. I also asked about getting a refund for the shipping expense and was told that would take 45-60 days and I would recieve an e-mail once the charge back was authorized.

The way I left it on Friday is they have until this Tuesday (one week after I was supposed to recieve the first package) to make things right or I would talk to my lawyer.

rberry88 :evil:

bigkingfun
03-17-2003, 07:43 AM
It seems I'm in the minority here, but I feel I should say that my experience with E.B. Cases was relatively good. When I ordered their case for my e740, it was backordered but I received it in a little over two weeks, to Canada. I wasn't very happy with the fit and finish of the case however. It wasn't that it was bad, exactly, but I didn't think it lived up to the pictures on their website. I returned the case to them and it was credited back to my credit card within 2 weeks.

Overall, I can't complain about their customer service but I wouldn't recommend their cases based on the one I received. I bit the bullet and ordered a Vaja case after this and it was amazing. The quality of the case made the cost seem worthwhile.

element
03-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Well it's a good thing somebody came out and named the un-named company as I'm in the market for a nice case. I was considering their wallet case for the iPAQ (comes with removable wallet, extra cc spaces, etc.) The only problem is they are the only ones I've found that offer anything comparable to what I need. I currently use the body glove pro case (which works superbly).

Are there any suggestions on a good case (besides ebcases) that allows for tons of extra wallet items? Also, I already looked at Vaja and they didn't really have what I was looking for.

TIA

PlayAgain?
03-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Name the company and be done with it. If they can't respect your right to the equipment you have legally purchased, then why should you respect their right to anonimity. All youre doing is making a statement regarding an actual event. It's up to us, the readers, to interpret that any way we like. No libel there, just truth.

I hate it when companies try shafting me like this and it makes my blood boil!

sfjlittel
03-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Do they have the right to anonimity? Just wondering...

PlayAgain?
03-17-2003, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't have thought they did have a right to anonymity, but under the circumstances, I guess they may want one.

markvan
03-17-2003, 09:23 AM
If anyone is looking for a great case and a company that looks out for you even if you don't pay for the case then I highly recommend Piel Frama.

I recently won one of their cases in a competition here on PPCThoughts and had my case within a week.

If you want to see the review I wrote go and check it out at:
http://www.jenneth.info/PielFrama_review.htm

Cheers
Mark

paris
03-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Reading all the bad word for case companies here i would like to credit the company I bought my case from.

VAJA cases not only has excellent quality cases, but an excellent service as well.

They were very responsive with my emails. I ordered a case that was pre-released (for the 5450) It said on the website that I would take 45 days but I don't care about that since the ipaq came with a case. In a few days the delivery time went to 30 days and in an email I did send them they confirmed that I would take 30 days from the initial order rather than 45, I was starting to get happy :). 3 weeks after the day I ordered my case it was delivered to my door. I was amazed both with their services and their quality case that I even did sent them an email congratulating them for the excellent case.

wiz
03-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I agree. I have purchased 4 Vajacases, 2 PielFrama cases and 1 krusell case in the past few years, and all 3 companies were very responsive, very correct and very friendly in their orderprocess and shipment, with Vaja as the absolute reigning champion!!! A big Thumbs-up for [email protected]!!

juni
03-17-2003, 12:08 PM
It is a service to the community to name companies like that so we can stay away from them. There is nothing stopping them to reply to the posts if they feel the need.

rfischer
03-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Are there any suggestions on a good case (besides ebcases) that allows for tons of extra wallet items? Also, I already looked at Vaja and they didn't really have what I was looking for.

Element,

Have you checked out Extreme Limit? That's who I bought my E-100 case from after the whole ordeal with E.B. I still have the case and it looks brand new. I would recommend them to anyone:

http://www.extreme-limit.co.jp/english/index.html

Reza
03-17-2003, 02:19 PM
I second that despite their high prices Vaja’s customer services rock.

Anyone had any good or bad experience with Covertec (http://www.covertec.com)? I considered ordering a leather case from them for my wife’s 1910 but they won’t even answer a simple email…

Doug Raeburn
03-17-2003, 02:51 PM
I ordered a case for my 5455 from E & B cases. It was on backorder, and they told me approximately when it would be available. It turned out to be available sooner than expected. They shipped it, I received it with no problem, and the case is really very nice for the price.

A friend saw my case and liked it... he ordered one from E & B and had it in 4 days.

Based on these other posts, I guess they need some work on troubleshooting orders. But to eliminate them entirely from contention on the basis of some reported problems is overkill, IMO. My experience with E & B cases, along with that of my friend, has been very positive.

Doug Raeburn
03-17-2003, 02:57 PM
I stopped ordering from them when I had a problem with an order, and they were clearly totally uninterested in helping me. I ordered 2 cases for HP 567's. For some completely unknown reason, they were unable to validate my credit card, the card that I use for all of my online purchases. Never had a problem with the card until then, haven't had any since. I asked them what the problem was and they didn't care to tell me... they just wanted me to use a different credit card. Due to their totally apathetic handling of the issue, I decided to take my $200 order elsewhere, to a company which actually valued my business.

Ironically, I got cases from E & B Cases... again, no problems.

So Vaja is hardly perfection when it comes to customer service... I was completely unimpressed.

Mike Temporale
03-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear so many of you have had problems with EB. And yet I'm very happy that I choose to buy another Vaja case.

I ordered it last wednesday night, and it arrived on Friday morning. I was shocked at the speed. Never have I received something that I ordered online faster than this. (okay, Amazon did it faster at christmas, but that didn't have to cross the border!).

And the best part is that this case fits perfectly. My old vaja for my 3650 fits really good, but somethings like the rest hole is not aligned corectly. The new case (which is for a 1910) is perfect, perfect, perfect.

Personaly, I would buy from Vaja again. (and now I won't waste my time looking at EB. Thanks to the hard times all you guys have had. )

Brad Adrian
03-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Maybe one of the reasons this predicament has bothered me so much is that I have had such GREAT experiences in the past from companies like Vaja and Piel Frama. To be honest, I didn't order from them this time because of the cost. I guess it's true that you get what you pay for.

PetiteFlower
03-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to spend $90 on a case in order to get decent customer service.

PocketPC Addict
03-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Permit me a dumb observation....why in the world is EB cases always backordered? I ordered a case from them over 2 years ago and it was backordered. Every person I know who orders from them ends up getting a backorder notice. Maybe EB stands for "Everyone Backordered".

I just don't get it. With Vaja and many others delivering cases in 48 hours or less, why in the world must EB maintain such a backorder record? Even George M. of Silver Slider fame can turn around a hand crafted SS in less than a week - and he is just one person!

I think it is well past time for them to resolve their production issues. It's beginning to make me wonder if someone's Grandmother is in the basement sewing each case up as it is ordered. :?

yawanag
03-17-2003, 05:34 PM
I had quite the opposite experience with EB. In fact, I was driven to them because as I was waiting to receive my T-Mobile, I went searching for cases. My mouth watered for a Vaja and I began with one that was $79 plus the options. My first order came to $114 total.

Next week, no T-Mobile, checked back on my order with Vaja - now $118. Got the TM in the mail and went to put the order through with Vaja - now $124. Of course, they told me the difference was in the options, but I never changed them.

EB contacted me several times while I waited and wanted to know if I was pleased upon receiving it.

MaximumPDA
03-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I haven’t had the opportunity to try a case from EB yet; sound like a great investigation topic… We have had great luck with Piel Frama, Rhino Skin, Handheld Planet, Covertec (review pending), Vaja, and Krusell.

I would have to say so far my favorite case that I have been using recently is the CoverTec for my Siemens SX 56. On the high-end scale however Vaja rocks and Piel Frama makes a buttery soft case that looks and feels like it came from the seat of a high end European sports car.

HandheldPlanet Case Review (http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpda_more.php?id=321_0_2_0_M)

Krusell Case Review (http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpda_more.php?id=58_0_2_0_M)

Vaja Case Review (http://www.maximumpda.com/maximumpda_more.php?id=55_0_2_0_M)

Hope you get your case soon.

--Bill

cpoole
03-17-2003, 08:51 PM
It is amazing what a bit of poor customer service will do to a customer. I have been a loyal customer of Futureshop for years. Yes they have received some raps about their sales people but usually there is good products and reasonable prices there. I had a recent experience where I bought some software that I felt did not meet the advertised features. It is indeed my fault that I did not read the package very very carefully but FS was intentionally carrying an older version of the software and the packaging was 99% identical. To make a long story short... FS was not willing to do anything about the product and my unhappy experience. I have not purchased anything there since... I have tried going back into the store but the purchase just sits in my stomach like poutine. A bit of better customer service and I would still be gladly spending my money there...

yodacai
03-17-2003, 11:02 PM
I too had a bit of trouble with EB Cases. I placed an order with them for their ipaq 1910 flip case, which was back-ordered (I knew this when the order was placed). So, I waited patiently for 3 weeks will no sign of it shipping. To make a long story short, I called them and canceled the order.

Now, I originally wanted a Krusell as I have had two others before and loved them, but I couldn't find anybody that were selling them yet. Well, finally, I found them on ebay selling from the same direct resale Krusell manufacturer that I bought the other two from. I was ecstatic as the previous two purchases went wonderfully. Well, I was a winner in one of their dutch auctions for a new, direct from Krusell h1910 case for only $26! Upon checking out and paying for the item, I just mentioned in the notes part that I really enjoyed buying from their company and that I canceled two orders for other cases to buy from them. Well, a day later, on Sunday non-the-less, I received an email from the President/CEO of this Krusell reseller thanking me for taking the time to write them and he was so very pleased that his company has taken care of my needs. AS a gesture of appreciation, he threw in one of their spring clip attachments free, which is pretty cool. Anyhow, I really appreciated the short email from this man and the sincerity he had shown in me as a customer. Here is a link to the auction if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3013067095&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Thanks for reading!

js415
03-18-2003, 02:59 AM
An interesting story, and exactly opposite of the experiences I had with EB Cases. I ordered one about 2 years ago for my Jornada. It was on the site as backordered, but I still received the case in about 10 days. Perfect fit and finish, and I could not be any happier. I still have the case and it has been handed down to my daughter. It looks the same as it did 2 years ago.

This past month, after receiving my new Axim, I once again started looking for a case. I decided on the EB case again, and ordered it via the web site. It showed as backordered, with the 10-15 day expected delivery. Once again, about 10 days later, a FedEx package is on my door with the case. The case has great storage for CF and SD cards. The Axim fits in great, and it really looks professional.

Maybe I have been the lucky one of this group, but I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Anyways,,,just my 2 cents worth!!

Jerry

Brad Adrian
03-18-2003, 03:04 AM
Hopefully those reading this thread also have seen the update I wrote to my original post. Essentially, after a lot of headaches, E&B seems to have gotten my order straightened out. They even said they'd ship the cases overnight without charging me anything extra.

So, with any luck, tomorrow morning I'll be able to make a post saying the cases did, indeed, arrive as promised. I'll share my thoughts then, too, about whether I feel they made the best of a bad situation or not.

shawnc
03-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Hopefully those reading this thread also have seen the update I wrote to my original post. Essentially, after a lot of headaches, E&B seems to have gotten my order straightened out. They even said they'd ship the cases overnight without charging me anything extra.

So, with any luck, tomorrow morning I'll be able to make a post saying the cases did, indeed, arrive as promised. I'll share my thoughts then, too, about whether I feel they made the best of a bad situation or not.

This site continues to get more powerful by the day. Glad things worked out for you.

Brad Adrian
03-20-2003, 03:51 AM
This story finally has a (sort of) happy ending. My order was not, in fact, shipped Monday as promised (even though the re-order was completed hours before their stated deadline), but it did arrive on Wednesday. The stupid FedEx guy delivered it to the wrong house, though, leaving the box in the hands of some movers who were loading up my neighbor's furniture. I finally received the package when my neighbor came home from work!

So, I actually have the leather cases in my hands, ready for my upcoming trip this weekend. In the end, I have to say that I appreciate the efforts the E&B took to complete my order and satisfy me. I can't help but believe that there is no good reason for the problems to arise in the first place, though.

Would I order from them again? Perhaps, because the cases are very nice. I won't do it if I need the order in less than a month, however.