View Full Version : Connect T-Mobile to landline modem?

pjdamoc
03-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Is there any way to connect a T-Mobile to landline (non-wireless) modem? This would be great for out of service areas and offshore use in countries that don't support T-Mobile wireless protocols.

I was thinking of trying to use the USB cable from the Seidio charger/sync cable to connect to a regular modem. Anybody tried this?

I know the T-Mobile SD is not I/O, but still would love to see a SD modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Interesting idea. USB won't work, though; you need to use serial (the T-Mo doesn't support USB host).

--janak

Ed Hansberry
03-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Is there any way to connect a T-Mobile to landline (non-wireless) modem? This would be great for out of service areas and offshore use in countries that don't support T-Mobile wireless protocols.

I was thinking of trying to use the USB cable from the Seidio charger/sync cable to connect to a regular modem. Anybody tried this?

I know the T-Mobile SD is not I/O, but still would love to see a SD modem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
The old Psion 56K Travel Modem was an IR modem that hooked into a phone line. There is info at http://www2.math.uni-potsdam.de/agenda/article.php?sid=96 and a few other places if you Google for it. It has long since been discontinued but you might find it on ebay.

Ed Hansberry
03-16-2003, 07:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3407055199&category=14405 shows one, but it says GSM. You might email them to see if it includes a basic phone RJ-11 phone jack. I think it does, but I'd check first.

Birdman
03-16-2003, 10:20 PM
I just bought one of those off ebay. Hope to get it delivered in the next few days.
They are becoming increasingly hard to find so I bought this one in anticipation of my next PDA (PPCPE or 1910 etc. )that will likely only have an SD slot. An IR modem can come in handy.

pjdamoc
03-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Gentlemen-
Many thanks. Got a new one from HPShopping for 129.00 USD. As you correctly predicted, they were the only vendor to have it in stock.

Paul

pjdamoc
03-20-2003, 02:04 AM
I got my IR modem today. T-mobile PPC sees it, but can't get past handshake before disconnecting.

Would love to know any tricks anyone has as to AT commands or other settings. I'm in the US and it probably is set for UK standard.

Many thanks.

Birdman
03-20-2003, 04:18 AM
I also just got my IR modem today. I bought it off ebay and it was advertised as "Diamond Mako" but when I took it out of the box the actual unit itself says "Psion". I hope to get my T-Mobile PPCPE tomorrow, but I tried it tonight with my ipaq and it worked great. Of course, it is more convenient to use the CF modem because I don't have to worry about lining up the IR ports, but now that I have my hands on one of these, I should be able to use my PPCPE on a landline phone when in hotels etc. to dial into my firm's RAS.

(Or if I ever get a 1910, the modem will also come in handy.)

I mainly bought it because it was a great price (refurb, I think) and they are becoming quite scarce.

pjdamoc
03-20-2003, 12:26 PM
I hope to get my T-Mobile PPCPE tomorrow, but I tried it tonight with my ipaq and it worked great.

Did you change any modem settings to get it to work on the Ipaq

mm
03-21-2003, 10:45 PM
I have been using my psion ir modem w/o problem with the tmobile ppcp. Just set up connections qas requested in connections parameters. I use Earthlink as an IP and for email w/o problem both w/ the psion modem and via gprs.