View Full Version : "Empty" SD card

Gallivant
03-16-2003, 05:30 PM
I just copied 70 or so megs of MP3s to my SD card, and when I was done, File Explorer thought that my SD card was empty. Palm Reader can open the eBooks stored on it, but File Explorer and Media Player fail to detect anything. The Memory display, nevertheless, knows that there are 90 megs used on the card. A soft reset didn't fix the problem. Anyone know what's up?

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you have a desktop SD reader? You should run CHKDSK/Scandisk on your card. Most likely, there's corruption.

An alternative is to format the card clean and try again...

--janak

Gallivant
03-16-2003, 05:43 PM
I don't have any desktop reader. What should I use to format the thing? And how the hell does it get corrupted?

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 05:50 PM
I don't have any desktop reader. What should I use to format the thing?
There are two programs out there. One of them is Flash Format (http://www.cnetx.com/format/). By the way, I strongly recommend a desktop reader -- you'll find it much faster and reliable than using ActiveSync to copy large files. And they're pretty cheap.

And how the hell does it get corrupted?
No idea -- your guess is as good as mine. ;) Generally a crash does it; hopefully, it's not a flaky card...

--janak

Qman
03-16-2003, 08:32 PM
I just copied 70 or so megs of MP3s to my SD card, and when I was done, File Explorer thought that my SD card was empty. Palm Reader can open the eBooks stored on it, but File Explorer and Media Player fail to detect anything. The Memory display, nevertheless, knows that there are 90 megs used on the card. A soft reset didn't fix the problem. Anyone know what's up?

Are these MP3s viewable in ActiveSync Explorer?
also are they in your My Documents folder on the SD card?