View Full Version : hp 1910

jzurb
03-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Is or will it be Bluetooth capatible with a software upgrade?

Shadowcat
03-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Nope. The HP1910 and the newly announced HP1915 (in Europe) do not have Bluetooth built into them. Unfortunately, the SD slots are not SDIO so you can't add a Bluetooth SD card either.

Shadowcat
03-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Brighthand has found that the HP1915 has, in fact, a SDIO slot.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Updated_Info_on_New_Pocket_PCs

pocketpcdude1024
03-15-2003, 10:30 PM
And thus it safe to postulate the 1915 can be made Bluetooth-ready with the Toshiba Bluetooth SD card. 8)

Actually, instead of Bluetooth in the 1915, it would be nice if it had the full Pocket PC OS. I believe that the full OS is a basic requirement for any Pocket PC.

Janak Parekh
03-15-2003, 10:31 PM
And thus, it safe to postulate, the 1915 can be made Bluetooth-ready with the Toshiba Bluetooth SD card. 8)
Actually, you'll probably have a better shot with the Socket Bluetooth SDIO card. From what I've heard, the Toshiba one only works with Toshiba Pocket PCs for now.

--janak

pocketpcdude1024
03-15-2003, 10:33 PM
And thus, it safe to postulate, the 1915 can be made Bluetooth-ready with the Toshiba Bluetooth SD card. 8)
Actually, you'll probably have a better shot with the Socket Bluetooth SDIO card. From what I've heard, the Toshiba one only works with Toshiba Pocket PCs for now.

--janak

You're probably right, as usual. I thought that the Toshiba was the ONLY Bluetooth SD card besides Palm's. :oops:

Stik
03-16-2003, 05:19 AM
You're probably right, as usual. I thought that the Toshiba was the ONLY Bluetooth SD card besides Palm's. :oops:

Mind if I muddle things up a little? :roll:

Toshiba makes the Palm Bluetooth SDIO card, which only works on Palm SDIO capable units. ( something about a ' backwards' slot on Palm ?? )

Toshiba's Bluetooth SDIO card will only work on Toshiba SDIO capable units, mainly because Toshiba SDIO is 'based' on the SDIO specs and is their own flavor of SDIO. ( I have a feeling this will change sooner rather than later. Toshiba is one of the newest members to join the bSquare SDIO Now! program. The ' sooner rather than later' of course is a presumption on my part. :wink: )

Socket's Bluetooth SDIO card will only work with PPC units that have SDIO capable slots and have bSquare's SDIO Now! software and driver onboard. ( supposedly the industry standard ) Manufacturers have a choice of paying fees to bSquare to get SDIO Now! now, or waiting for Microsoft to add SD card and socket services support which *could* happen later this year.
The Socket Bluetooth SDIO card's frame comes from Toshiba, while the goodies inside are Socket's.

The SDIO slot capable Viewsonic 35? I have yet to figure out what Bluetooth SDIO card will work, if any, on that unit. Viewsonic will not answer my email concerning that question. :sleeping:

Janak Parekh
03-16-2003, 05:47 AM
Manufacturers have a choice of paying fees to bSquare to get SDIO Now! now, or waiting for Microsoft to add SD card and socket services support which *could* happen later this year.
We really need MS to get on the bandwagon and incorporate SDIO services in WinCE, or at least license bSquare's solution. Does it not already exist in CE .NET?

--janak

Stik
03-16-2003, 07:03 AM
We really need MS to get on the bandwagon and incorporate SDIO services in WinCE, or at least license bSquare's solution. Does it not already exist in CE .NET?

--janak

I would think MS was on the bandwagon ( or like so many other things, is MS THE wagon :P )

bSquare is a Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner.

According to Microsoft's site...

Take SD-Enabled Devices to Market Faster
Accelerate the development and implementation of Secure Digital (SD) Card devices and drivers for Microsoft® Windows® CE, Pocket PC 2002, and Windows CE .NET platforms. SDIO Now! membership gives device, semiconductor, and peripheral manufacturers the tools and technologies to enable Windows devices to work with the growing number of SD peripherals.

Platforms Supported
• Windows CE .NET
• WinCE 3.0
• PocketPC

Processors Supported

• AM33
• ARM
• MIPS
• SH
http://www.mswep.com/mktplc_detail_results.aspx?product_id=1025&CatID=

A few interesting ( at least to me :wink: ) faq's off the bSquare site...

What relationship does BSQUARE have with the SD Card Association?
BSQUARE is an executive member of the SD Card Association, which provides SD Card technologies. With BSQUARE's SDIO Now! program, SD Card Association members can get the software subsystems, peripheral driver development tools, and technical assistance needed to support SD on the Windows CE and Windows CE .NET operating systems, as well as the Pocket PC and Smartphone device platforms.

Isn't Microsoft adding SD IO support in Windows CE .NET?
Microsoft's support for SDIO and memory in one subsystem will occur after the Windows CE .NET release. BSQUARE intends to give our SD driver work to Microsoft to incorporate into the next version of Windows CE .NET.

http://www.bsquare.com/device/products/devtools/sdionow/faq.asp