View Full Version : getting back into it! a question.

corduroy
03-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey.
I programmed in VB back in high school (3.0) and programmed as a hobby up until ~2 years ago. I just reinstalled VS 6.0 and downloaded embedded visual tools and am going to start w/ some programming.

I'm probably going to use VB since I have forgotten a good deal and the extent of my C knowledge was 'C' in high school (which i smoked!).

Anyways, I will be starting on a program that will be the basic mixed drinks type of program. I want to utilize a database but never have before (or maybe I don't remember, hehe), any tutorials that you guys can reccomend on using a database in VB? Also, I do not know 300+ mixed drinks so I will probably do research on the 'net. What's the procedure to using information from other sites in my program (the program will be free)? A lot of these drinks are common knowledge ... kinda lost on this.

Thanks!

david_brandt
03-15-2003, 10:47 AM
If you have any plans on starting programming seriously, i would suggest you look into .NET... the .NET Compact Framework works wonders and the skills involved can easily be transferred back onto the desktop. I think that there are tutorials on http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/netcf/GettingStarted.aspx.

For database i would recommend SQL Server CE. This can be found on www.microsoft.com/SQL and it is very easy to use with .NET CF.

LKing
04-02-2003, 01:43 PM
What is .NET & if just (re)starting out, why should I go that direction?

Thanks.

cyclwestks
04-02-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm kinda new in this arena too, & have been playing around with EVB. I hear all this mention about the .Net framework. I just read on another site about how expensive it's gonna be, something like $1000 (?). Isn't that way out of the league of people who want to develop "free programs"?