View Full Version : Questions about the Axim

mscdex
03-15-2003, 01:25 AM
I have a few questions about the Axim. One thing is, does anyone here use the Dell keyboard, I mean, enough to say for sure if it's good quality or not (for you note-takers,etc. out there, for this is what i'd be using the keyboard for). A second question I have is what are the best screen protectors that can be used for the Dell, but are not as expensive as the ones on Dell's site. Last question is, how much of a "speed" difference is there between the 300mhz and 400mhz version (including how many FPS for watching DivX movies, etc. for both)?

I am considering getting a 300mhz and a keyboard, both together will only cost me $289. I currently have an iPaq 3635, and it does what I want at the moment, I'm just wondering if it is really worth the upgrade. I don't want to get the 300mhz Dell, and then find out it's noticeably slower than the 400mhz version. Know what I mean? :)

shawnc
03-15-2003, 02:08 AM
I'll take a stab at 2 out of 3. The Dell kb is EXCELLENT. I use it heavily. I owned a targus stowaway for my Ipaq and the Dell has a slightly smaller footprint and a higher quality feel to it. I seriously considered one of the wireless options (especially since it took Dell so long to ship my kb) but I am very glad I waited.

My understanding (and I'm only going on what I've gleaned from the site) is that the difference in speed between the 300 and 400 is not significant. I brought the 400 because of all the talk about upgradeability.

Jason Dunn
03-15-2003, 05:42 AM
The speed difference will hardly be noticed in most apps, but the extra ROM is the big winner - you get a massive 21 MB of Flash ROM for storage, which is very cool. It's like having a 85 MB RAM device! :D

yunez
03-15-2003, 06:12 AM
the memory is what makes it worth it

mscdex
03-15-2003, 03:33 PM
I know the memory's a plus, but I cannot afford the 400mhz Axim and keyboard. So I was hoping I would get my money's worth if I got the 300mhz, and not be buying a "crappier" Axim, if you will.

Kati Compton
03-15-2003, 05:34 PM
I am considering getting a 300mhz and a keyboard, both together will only cost me $289. I currently have an iPaq 3635, and it does what I want at the moment, I'm just wondering if it is really worth the upgrade. I don't want to get the 300mhz Dell, and then find out it's noticeably slower than the 400mhz version. Know what I mean? :)

I'd say go ahead and get the 300MHz. The downside is less memory, but you do have 2 expansion slots. So when you can afford it, you can add storage that way. Might feel a little tight until then - it depends on your PPC style and how many programs/themes/mp3s/etc you want to load onto it.

As for screen protectors, I think all the really nice ones are unfortunately quite pricey. I'm a WriteShields fan myself - you could try seeing if some other users would be interested in splitting a 3-pack to make it more reasonable. It's not like you'll need to replace it very often.