View Full Version : anyone know of a good image viewer thats free?!

snappy2515
03-15-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm cheap when it comes to buying software for my pocket pc :lol: does anyone know of a decent image viewer for mine thats free? thanks for your help! :D

taxus
03-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, first there is the relatively recent Dava Picture Viewer (http://www.dicesoft.com/product/dava_feature.html). On opening, though, it shows the logo for many seconds, forcing you to wait, but hey! It's free. ;)

Personally, I hated it.

Before that, the only one I knew about was Peter's Viewer. It predates PocketPC 2002 though, but gets the job done. It was too limited for my needs though, so I bought Spb Palbum Picture Viewer.

Now it's available from the PDAMill (http://pdamill.com/) site, the creators of Snails. I don't know why, but there was no mention of the viewer on their site 8 months ago; I'd gotten it from PDAGold.com. Oh, I see they've updated it last Monday.

Finally, someone will probably mention PQ View. Well, I've never been convinced it's free. If you read the latest license, it's not.

spursdude
03-15-2003, 02:16 AM
I just installed the PDAMill Viewer software... it's very speedy, and the image quality is good. Unfortunately, it has basically no controls. The only two options are slideshow mode and close image. No zoom features, no rotate features. If you want a quick and easy image viewer, this will do the trick. If you want something more, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

snappy2515
03-15-2003, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the references guys! :D :D :D
I'm personally impressed by the Dava Picture Viewer 8O
Images seem to load quite quickly and with good quality too
Thanks again!

skjelnes
03-16-2003, 09:59 PM
If you have a HP Jornada 54X as your avatar suggest, I gess you could download the HP Jornada Pocket Camera Driver. There is a desent (IMO) picture viewer bilt in.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/handheld_computers/software/hppocketcamera-v120112c.exe

taxus
03-17-2003, 05:43 AM
I just installed the PDAMill Viewer software... it's very speedy, and the image quality is good. Unfortunately, it has basically no controls. The only two options are slideshow mode and close image. No zoom features, no rotate features.

I read on French site PocketPCFreewares (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com) (no English version of this excellent site, sorry) that there are some functions that work with the hardware buttons (I'm reporting what was written in the comments):

Button 1: reduces brightness
Button 2: increases brightness
Button 3: sets default brightness
Button 5: display picture at real size (not fit-to-screen)
Up/down D-Pad: scroll through pictures in a folder

spursdude
03-17-2003, 07:31 AM
Button 1: reduces brightness
Button 2: increases brightness
Button 3: sets default brightness
Button 5: display picture at real size (not fit-to-screen)
Up/down D-Pad: scroll through pictures in a folder

Thank you! You're my hero, Taxus!!! :D

Now the PDAMill Viewer meets basically all of my photo needs. It's fast enough, and has auto-rotate/zoom, but also some control over image and zoom.