View Full Version : What's the deal with Active Sync??

karinatwork
03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
How come when I disconnect my pocket pc from my computer, Active Sync keeps running in the background, undetected by any task switcher program (i.e. Pocket Plus), yet when I go directly to the memory menu, under "running programs", Active Sync is still running, and it keeps running until I stop it manually.

I don't think that ever happened with Pocket PC 2000 (E-125). I am still using version 3.5. When I disconnected my pocket pc, or when I switched off my desktop or pocket pc, Active Sync stopped running, too. Is there anything I have to tweak? :?:

Thanks for any info!

Karin

Jason Dunn
03-14-2003, 07:16 PM
I've noticed this a lot of my Dell too....I don't know what the problem is. :-( I've taken to soft resetting my Dell before docking it, or else it won't connect because ActiveSync remains locked up. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
03-14-2003, 07:33 PM
How come when I disconnect my pocket pc from my computer, Active Sync keeps running in the background, undetected by any task switcher program (i.e. Pocket Plus

Not sure Pocket Plus qualifies as 'any' task switcher. Pocket Nav sees AS, as does the Dell Switcher bar (IIRC, it's not in front of me) and the built in Task Switcher on my Jornada (Hold down tasks button).

I note that some seem to have an easier time shutting AS down if you wish to do that, but I have no problems re-cradling any of these devices whether I leave it running or not. It still syncs up fine (within the normal definition of AS working fine, i.e. most of the time but not when you need it to the most :) )

karinatwork
03-14-2003, 07:33 PM
So it does seem like it's actually a PPC 2002 problem, not Active Sync. I don't have a major problem with it, but I don't like programms running in the background, period. I don't know how much it's going to slow down other processes, but why should a program run when it's not needed??

I am not sure, but I think Wisbar is the only program that detects Active Sync running. There is the option of not displaying it, but that's just an option you can choose.

I really wanted to get rid of Wisbar and get something either more fancy, or much smaller. But all the roads lead back to Wisbar. :?

PetiteFlower
03-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Dell's task switcher does detect it. Leaving it running doesn't prevent AS from re-connecting the next time I plug in my PPC, but I like to shut it down anyway. Of course, every time I shut it down through the task switcher, I get a "not responding" error, but that also doesn't seem to affect anything, it still shuts down after I click ok and reconnects just fine next time I cradle. IMO it's the LEAST of Activesync's problems!

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Gigatask also detects it. This is indeed a PPC2002-ism -- PPC2000 did shut down ActiveSync.

For what it's worth, though, it doesn't hurt to let it sit in the background. I use Pocket Plus and don't even worry about it.

--janak

karinatwork
03-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Yes, I have to correct myself. Pocket Plus seems to be the ONLY "task switcher" not able to detect it. Maybe they even programmed the application to ignore it on purpose. Considered that it doesn't seem to hurt anything while running. Who knows.

I guess what confuses me the most is the fact that I never noticed something like that with my old E-125. Active Sync starts up automatically when you connect the PPC to the desktop, so it also should shut down automatically once the connection is interrupted. Oh well. :roll: