View Full Version : Four New iPAQ 5450 Updates From HP

Ed Hansberry
03-14-2003, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/71_5553.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/locate/71_5553.html</a><br /><br />HP has released four updates to the iPAQ 5450 series in the past few weeks.<br /><br />• iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 Battery Driver <i>(March 11)</i><br />• iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 Headset Volume Improvement Update for ROM Version 1.00.xx <i>(March 3)</i><br />• iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 Pocket Watch from Conduits <i>(March 4)</i><br />• iPAQ Pocket PC h5400 WLAN Driver Update <i>(March 11)</i><br /><br />We have had one user report a minor issue with the battery update, so if you have a 5450 and are interested in these updates, read on. <!><br /><br />I'll quote the email I received:<br /><br />Just an update on my earlier email regarding the recent 54xx updates making my 1gb CF card disappear. It appears the problem is with the Battery Driver update. I recommend users DO NOT install this update if the use the CompactFlash Plus sleeve (the one with the CF slot and an extra battery).<br /><br />I ran the uninstall for the battery driver, but it failed to remove \windows\battmgr.dll dated 3/6/03. After the uninstall, I renamed this file, reset, and all is fine again. The uninstall put the old battmgr.dll back.<br /><br />So, any users of the 5450 with the CF+ sleeve might want to fully test their CF sleeve after the battery driver update and see if they are affected before being caught out on the road with a non-functioning CF card. Post your experiences here. Thanks to Doug Haacke for troubleshooting this glitch.

jgahr
03-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Boy, am I glad someone else always manages to find this stuff before I get totally caught with my drawers down. After lurking for so long here, I learned to always back up my data. :lol: Only problem was after I installed the Battery update, and read this, that my default location for the backup is always, you guessed it, StorageCard 2. Needless to say, I couldn't find it with Resco Explorer, I pulled the CF+ sleeve and reset it, and I unloaded and reloaded my Transcend 512mb. It held for a short time, but then disappears. Thankfully someone provided a solution, fixed from RAM, instead of a hard reset from ROM. I loaded the other updates too, now I'm wondering if I should have. The WLan seems to be working real well, longer and stronger. Not sure if I should be walking so close to the edge, since this is what cost me a working version of a 3975, jumping on ROM updates before they are ready. :oops:

Randall L. Lewis
03-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Thanks for this interesting post about upgrades and/or fixes for the 5400 iPAQs. I haven't downloaded any of these. The one I want is the headphone profile for Bluetooth. I was a bit annoyed to find a bit of paper in the box that said it wasnt available. Any ideas of when (or if) HP will have this for us?

Janak Parekh
03-15-2003, 02:51 AM
The one I want is the headphone profile for Bluetooth. I was a bit annoyed to find a bit of paper in the box that said it wasnt available. Any ideas of when (or if) HP will have this for us?
I don't think there's any news on this. There's the unofficial registry edit that enables it for now...

--janak

DaleReeck
03-15-2003, 03:00 AM
WLAN driver update? I don't see that one, just a NEVO update in addition to the other three.

Update:

Hmm. Now its there. It wasn't before. Interesting...

jimski
03-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Tried the Battery Update with the same results as the earlier posters. Did the uninstall and all is well again.

Not bad enough that you need the patch to start with. Now you need a patch to patch the patch. Come on HP. Get with it.