View Full Version : help for a simple SD question

TJ
03-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Hello,
I just got an 256 MB SD SanDisk card for my Dell Axim (400 MHz, but don't think that matters). Using an SD card reader that I bought last night at BestBuy, I moved a bunch of PDF files onto the card. The Axim recognizes the memory usage just fine. I've also got Adobe (Acrobat) 1.0 on the Axim (in RAM). How do I try to open the files on the SD card? The Acrobat program doesn't seem to recognize that there is an SD card. I know I'm missing something very simple here (nothing new, but you guys have helped me before).

Thanks.

david_brandt
03-14-2003, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that this is because Acrobat Reader only looks for files in the My Documents folders. ( i don't have my PPC with me right now so i can't verify it..)

Simply create a My Documents folder on the Storage card and move the files into it. Then you should be able to open them with Acrobat reader. Alternatively you could try opening the files from the File Explorer.

TJ
03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
I think you're right that the PDF files need to be in a folder named "My Documents". I did try that last night, without success. Again, I'm sure it's me, though, missing something very simple. I'll have to also try File Explorer, though I must also admit I have not used it at all yet, and am unfamilar with it. Are there any similar file explorer-type programs in Pocket Informant (ver. 3.5, not the newest 4.0)?
Thanks for the info.

TJ
03-15-2003, 04:28 AM
Just thought I'd post this.
Since I got home tonight, I tried a couple things to read the pdf files using adobe acrobat 1.0. The thing that seemed to work was removing a file called "ignore_my_documents". Makes sense, but why would such a file be on the SanDisk?

Janak Parekh
03-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Makes sense, but why would such a file be on the SanDisk?
It's created by Pocket PC 2002 if it sees a storage card without a My Documents folder. It prompts most programs to scan the entire storage card as opposed to just My Documents -- however, with certain programs it causes problems.

--janak

TJ
03-16-2003, 03:12 AM
Thanks Janak

I originally copied the files onto the SD card, without using a "My Documents" folder. When I read further information, I converted the folder into a "My Documents" folder, but it seems that the "ignore_my_documents had just been created, and it was too late for the reader to recognize the newly created "My Documents".

Created a little Catch 22 for myself.