View Full Version : ActiveSync Speed Benchmarks

seanturner
03-14-2003, 04:19 AM
Ever wondered which is the fastest way to sync your Pocket PC? Here's a short article from PDAJunkie that speeds of ActiveSync connections made via Bluetooth, WiFi, Infrared, and USB. If you are quite particular about ActiveSync connection speeds, do check out this article.

Read the Article (http://www.pdajunkie.net/activesyncspeed.htm)

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 05:30 AM
Weird. I've found WiFi to be *much* faster than USB.

--janak

seanturner
03-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Yes, it does seem to be the case.

I am wondering though if the file sync utility could be skewing the results as it seems I get substantially different transfer speeds depending on which application I am using (ie Resco File Explorer gets noticeably better performance than the built in File Explorer utility).

It would be really interesting to talk to some of the PocketPC engineers to find out exactly how ActiveSync/SMB/HTTP/FTP transfers are handled on the PPC.

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Yes, I would imagine so.

How about downloading files from a local webserver using IE as a test? I could see that being pretty fast and simple. SMB as a protocol adds overhead, too...

--janak

seanturner
03-14-2003, 06:57 AM
All of the simple image load time tests I've tried have been even slower, although, I think this is due to PIE's poor engine.

FTP seems to be the most efficient protocol to use; however, the FTP clients currently available for the PPC seem to be grossly inefficient. So far, the fastest thing I can find is a SMB transfer using Resco File Explorer.